UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MAAC switches to Albany in '09

Article in today's Times Union about the two tournaments in town:

'Problem' could be a positive

I don't like one bit the fact that the AE is even wiling to consider pulling the conference tournament out of Albany. This idea just reeks of defeatism and weakness vis-a-vis another conference. Why give the MAAC one single excuse to pimp themselves higher than the AE in ANY sport? The AE came to Albany first this year, so it should be the one that remains.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A true oxymoron - intelligent $aints73

D96 - Moe Ron is an appropriate alternatative tag for $aints73

Inside Lacrosse Top 20 rankings UMBC tied for 8th with 212 votes while Canisius did garner 1 vote.

I wonder if $aints73 even has the capacity to think before posting his sports knowledge or lack of.

Funny thing is, Canisius received a better seed than UMBCDFGHJSKJGH in this year's tournament.

Only the first 8 teams are seeded. The rest are geographical. Hi, my name is MOE RON...nice to meet you.

Hi MOE RON. Welcome to the board. I know that only the first eight schools are seeded, but Canisius played the number three seed and UMBCDSFGHJJ played the number two seed. Therefore, it was funny as I said in my original post.

Slob87, your penis envy for the MAAC is growing tiresome.

I don't like one bit the fact that the AE is even wiling to consider pulling the conference tournament out of Albany. This idea just reeks of defeatism and weakness vis-a-vis another conference. Why give the MAAC one single excuse to pimp themselves higher than the AE in ANY sport? The AE came to Albany first this year, so it should be the one that remains.

I agree with this statement so much. Who the $%#@ cares about the MAAC and their crappy tourney being in town the same time???? There will be hotels available, there will be fans traveling to Albany to watch THEIR school and maybe, just maybe, a few hundred 'casual fans' will choose one over the other. It makes no difference. I actually think it might make going out downtown that weekend even more fun with all the people that will be there for both tournaments.

olddog,

Like I said in my previous post....it's the freaking MAAC not the ACC or the BE. It's still a one bid league that even though they had a strong(stronger then the previous year) year last year will have a hard time not slipping. Siena will be very strong but Marist is rebuilding after a coaching defection.....they still will have a few teams in the 300 RPI (every league has their anchors). I'm a bit surprised at the apparent defeatism being displayed by some in the AEC brain trust. We can sit here and pontificate that they two leagues are equal in basketball or that the AE is far superior overall as an all-sports conference (which we are) but we have to walk the walk.....it's the POS MAAC, the same league that folded a NUMBER of sports and lives by the motto.....if you can't beat them, kick them da hell OUT!

Both tourneys will DO FINE. If Siena or UA gets knocked out, it won't mater, the attendance will drop off the cliff.

Slob87, your penis envy for the MAAC is growing tiresome. - $iena73 (aka Moe Ron)

$aints73 - it is you who comes over here to find out what is happening and then you start trying to talk trash, if the MAAC is so exciting, stay on one of their boards and post. Lets face it other than on the $iena board, most $iena fans are known for their egotistical attitude.

In my opinion you add nothing to any conversation you attache yourself to so though this is an open forum why waste your time here most of us find you lacking intelligence.

olddog,

Like I said in my previous post....it's the freaking MAAC not the ACC or the BE. It's still a one bid league that even though they had a strong(stronger then the previous year) year last year will have a hard time not slipping. Siena will be very strong but Marist is rebuilding after a coaching defection.....they still will have a few teams in the 300 RPI (every league has their anchors). I'm a bit surprised at the apparent defeatism being displayed by some in the AEC brain trust.

Both tourneys will DO FINE. If Siena or UA gets knocked out, it won't mater, the attendance will drop off the cliff.

bosiydid,

You are correct in everything you state. I'm not going to attack the quality of Siena's team next year or the MAAC basketball tournament in general. Men's basketball is the only event over which MAAC aficionados can get excited about in their league; however, the Albany area is the only area where the MAAC seems to be successful. The league is what it is.

I just don't want the AE to eliminate possibilities where great opportunities exist. The AE has hosted successful tournaments wherever they have been played, and I believe they could see success in cities where they haven't played yet. We are what we are. Very few people will want to attend games at both venues at the same time. I don't understand clearly why the AE suspects possible problems. A couple years ago when UA hosted the AE championship game, the school showed the league just how solid its commitment to AE basketball can be. I have never seen in my brief experience with the league any higher degree of pre-game excitement that existed before the UA-UVM conference final. 800 fans camped out around the gym as long as 2 days before the game in early March! The game also attracted a broad-based, passionate contingent from UVM. If UA hosted a game like that a couple years ago, it can certainly pull off an event with similar conference enthusiasm. The AE should have no problem sponsoring a game at UA, no matter who else is in town.

Funny thing is, Canisius received a better seed than UMBCDFGHJSKJGH in this year's tournament.

Only the first 8 teams are seeded. The rest are geographical. Hi, my name is MOE RON...nice to meet you.

Hi MOE RON. Welcome to the board. I know that only the first eight schools are seeded, but Canisius played the number three seed and UMBCDSFGHJJ played the number two seed. Therefore, it was funny as I said in my original post.

Slob87, your penis envy for the MAAC is growing tiresome.

Moe Ron, seems you must be related to Stu Pid. If you know the first 8 teams are seeded...your entire post would be baseless. If you know it is geography based...your entire post would be baseless.

Either you knew...or didnt know. You are wrong with any of those versions. Don't exactly see how it is "HA HA Funny."

I haven't really read this thread too carefully, but it appears to be another run-of-the-mill pi**ing contest between UA and LCC fans.

Please allow me to add some more to this debate (if it has not been noted already): While the America East does not have a hockey league (nor does the MAAC), several of the schools from the America East feature teams that are regularly in the national Top 10 and even, from time to time, ranked #1 in the nation (case in point: 2006-2007 season).

These America East schools with premier hockey programs would be, in my view, UNH, Maine, Vermont, and Boston University.

UA fans are doing LCC fans a favor in this debate by excluding our schools' hockey achievements.

Off-TOPIC:

On that note, and this is way OT, but nothing would get me more fired up than a UAlbany Division I hockey program someday. Perhaps we could join the Hockey East or ECAC after a few years of independent status. We could play our games downtown, or perhaps gain funding to build a small arena on campus; i.e., something akin to the BIG Arena in Delmar (two rinks) or like the arena up in Clifton Park (or even something like what Union College has) -- just something to seat 2,500-5,000 fans. Larger games or games that draw more people could be held downtown at the Times Union Center.

Moreover, with respect to Title IX, I would hope that we would field a women's hockey team as well. Hockey is becoming more and more popular with women, and with UAlbany being so close to Canada (3 hours or so from Montreal), I would hope we could recruit men and women from Toronto, Montreal, and Canada at large, thereby increasing our expansion into North America and beyond (Europe, Russia, even Asia, where hockey is played as well).

Never happening. WAY TOO EXPENSIVE EVEN WITH ADDING A WOMAN'S TEAM!

We had an opportunity, YEARS AGO, to build an ice arena. It would have been in conjunction, I believe, with the River Rats owner. It would have been on the land CESTM is on. We said no.

Won't hear an argument from me on that topic. I'm a hockey fan and would love to have another division one program in the area.

What an anti-sports hack like Hitchcock did is not indicitive of what future management may or may not do. Remember, Hitchcock somehow saw a barely used sculpture studio to be more needed than urgent upgrades to University Field.

Of course, at the rate things are going will UAlbany have any future management...

(drat...that was meant for D96, but still...)

correct me if I'm wrong here, but last I checked....hockey was a dying sport in the U.S.

Our resources for the foreseeable future (next 100 years) should be put towards elevating our already successful programs, not adding more.

and back on topic - I agree with McGuire. The AEast should be trying to work with the MAAC to make both tournaments a success. Basketball town for a week or so. It has marketing potential all over it.

But I do sort of agree with the MAAC posters (on here and at LCC forum) there is no real incentive for the MAAC to reach out and associate itself with the AEast. It has to be Nero that reaches out I think.

Won't hear an argument from me on that topic. I'm a hockey fan and would love to have another division one program in the area.

What an anti-sports hack like Hitchcock did is not indicitive of what future management may or may not do. Remember, Hitchcock somehow saw a barely used sculpture studio to be more needed than urgent upgrades to University Field.

Of course, at the rate things are going will UAlbany have any future management...

(drat...that was meant for D96, but still...)

Scrabbleship...this was WAY BEFORE HITCHCOCK!

Archived