UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MAAC switches to Albany in '09

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeh...it probably sucks that they did this as it will decrease the amount of casual fans attending but IMO, you gotta move forward. What, are we going to schedule around the MAAC for the rest of our lives? With the proper marketing initiative this event will do just fine.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the maac being in Albany unless the AE was looking to increase the number of bitter old men in the arena. I mean you are right it could take some casual fans. But the AE will still have the fans of the 9 schools, the maac will still have the fans of whichever of their schools travel and the casual fan will have a choice between reasonable priced mid major basketball and overpriced mid major basketball.

I saw a comment on one of the MAAC sites so I checked it out at NYSPHSAA and it seems HS Wrestling is scheduled the weekend of the AE Tourney at the TU

Winter 2008-2009

Mar 6-7 Wrestling Times Union Center, Albany (2)

I wouldn't be too concerned with the maac being in Albany unless the AE was looking to increase the number of bitter old men in the arena. I mean you are right it could take some casual fans. But the AE will still have the fans of the 9 schools, the maac will still have the fans of whichever of their schools travel and the casual fan will have a choice between reasonable priced mid major basketball and overpriced mid major basketball.

Yeh! You should be able to fill that 4k arena at least once.

Got to love a maac fans attempt to talk smaac. Maybe someone can tell me if there is any other league in the country that considers it a success to have 100,000 unsold seats ( over the 9 sessions) for a tourney like the maac. I mean if ever there was a league that needs a smaller building to improve the astrosphere it is the maac.

The way maac fans talk you would think they are the Big East, ACC, SEC, Big Ten, etc and actually filling the 15,000 plus seat arena.

The funniest thing about his post is that he, a MAAC fan is taking shots at someone else's arena/fan base. The gyms in the MAAC not to mention the fan base of most teams not named Siena is a beyond a joke. Their basketball "facilities" aka. shat holes they play in are on par with division III schools. I'm ROFLMAO

The funniest thing about his post is that he, a MAAC fan is taking shots at someone else's arena/fan base. The gyms in the MAAC not to mention the fan base of most teams not named Siena is a beyond a joke. Their basketball "facilities" aka. shat holes they play in are on par with division III schools. I'm ROFLMAO

While SEFCU will be rocking at the AE Tournament by hundreds of students from member schools, the Times Union Center will continue to be filled with a lot of old bags, if you know what I mean.

You should be able to fill your arena, never?

When you play your home games in front of thousands of bagged seats, I would expect some humility, if not embarrassment. When the Stanford game was announced, some came to this board and predicted 12,000+. When the day came I don't think any seats had to be de-bagged. The bags only come off when the Danes go downtown.

If you sandwich a Siena game between a Bruce Springsteen concert and a Barack Obama rally, MAYBE you'll sell out a game.

The part of this story that I find hardest to believe is --- Did Rodger Wyland really outscoop the rest of the local media on this story? Really?

So, which tournament do you think the Times Union, that bastion of journalistic integrity will promote and cover?

Archived