UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MAAC switches to Albany in '09

America East makes no guarantees about tournament

June 9, 2008 at 6:14 pm

By Pete Iorizzo, Staff writer

Four days after the MAAC announced it plans to move its 2009 basketball tournament to Times Union Center, the America East still is not saying if its tournament will remain in Albany.

Echoing comments from last week, a league spokesman said the conference will not comment on the matter until its annual meetings at the end of June. Through the spokesman, comissioner Patrick Nero declined an interview request.

When asked directly if the league definitely plans to keep its tournament in Albany, the spokesman said in an e-mail, “… we are working with Albany to answer some questions that have arisen since the MAAC’s announcement and expect to have answers to those questions at our previously scheduled annual meeting in a few weeks in Orlando.”

Pressed on whether that meant the tournament will stay in Albany, the spokesman said the league had no comment.

The MAAC’s move came as a surprise to University at Albany officials, who never would have bid to host the tournament if they could have known the MAAC would be at Times Union Center at the same time.

Now the two tournaments will be in direct competition for sponsorships and advertising dollars — an area in which the MAAC figures to own an advantage, given its history of hosting well-attended tournaments in Albany, including one this past season.

When he met with reporters last week, UAlbany director of athletics Lee McElroy said he sees no reason for America East to respond to the MAAC’s move by taking the tournament away from SEFCU Arena.

But the fact that America East officials are making no guarantees about the tournament’s future suggests the league is at least keeping its options open. Stay tuned.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
P.S. I think as a fan base we give MUCH TO MUCH respect to the MAAC....

Well, bob doesn't :lol:

[

I don't know why anyone would. At least if you follow all sports at all. Maac hockey died a few years ago followed by football. maac lacrosse is the joke league. I think while all the other leagues have at least 1 ncaa tournament win over the last 6 years the maac regular loses their games by score of 20-3. Even the only sport they are somewhat competitve in ( basketball) has seen betters days.

Bob, you are such a tool. The Iona men's cross country team earned a second place finish at the 2007 NCAA Cross Country Championship. The St. Peter's men's soccer team earned at at-large bid to this year's NCAA tournament and we all know what the Marist women's basketball team has done the last two years.

America East makes no guarantees about tournament

June 9, 2008 at 6:14 pm

By Pete Iorizzo, Staff writer

Four days after the MAAC announced it plans to move its 2009 basketball tournament to Times Union Center, the America East still is not saying if its tournament will remain in Albany.

Echoing comments from last week, a league spokesman said the conference will not comment on the matter until its annual meetings at the end of June. Through the spokesman, comissioner Patrick Nero declined an interview request.

When asked directly if the league definitely plans to keep its tournament in Albany, the spokesman said in an e-mail, “… we are working with Albany to answer some questions that have arisen since the MAAC’s announcement and expect to have answers to those questions at our previously scheduled annual meeting in a few weeks in Orlando.”

Pressed on whether that meant the tournament will stay in Albany, the spokesman said the league had no comment.

The MAAC’s move came as a surprise to University at Albany officials, who never would have bid to host the tournament if they could have known the MAAC would be at Times Union Center at the same time.

Now the two tournaments will be in direct competition for sponsorships and advertising dollars — an area in which the MAAC figures to own an advantage, given its history of hosting well-attended tournaments in Albany, including one this past season.

When he met with reporters last week, UAlbany director of athletics Lee McElroy said he sees no reason for America East to respond to the MAAC’s move by taking the tournament away from SEFCU Arena.

But the fact that America East officials are making no guarantees about the tournament’s future suggests the league is at least keeping its options open. Stay tuned.

This is a $iena story/blog posting. Just because Iorizzo called the AE office and they declined an interview that doesn't warrant a story or speculation. Just wait 10 days until you have an ounce of facts to report on.

P.S. I think as a fan base we give MUCH TO MUCH respect to the MAAC....

Well, bob doesn't :lol:

[

I don't know why anyone would. At least if you follow all sports at all. Maac hockey died a few years ago followed by football. maac lacrosse is the joke league. I think while all the other leagues have at least 1 ncaa tournament win over the last 6 years the maac regular loses their games by score of 20-3. Even the only sport they are somewhat competitve in ( basketball) has seen betters days.

Bob, you are such a tool. The Iona men's cross country team earned a second place finish at the 2007 NCAA Cross Country Championship. The St. Peter's men's soccer team earned at at-large bid to this year's NCAA tournament and we all know what the Marist women's basketball team has done the last two years.

Not to totally diminish the Iona CC teams finish, and not that there isn't a place for foreign athletes in the NCAA's but let me guess without looking at the roster that their weren't many U.S. citizens on that team. They have had great teams forever based on foreign athletes. First they had a number of Irish distance runners and then its the Kenyans etc.

I don't know why but that kind of takes the National out of the NCAA.

Man, this is the best you can come up with. No wonder you resort to the name calling like $iena toni when he has no retort. You make my point for me that the AE has no reason to fear a league like the maac. At its best, the maacs accomplishments are similar to the AE. At its worst the maac is THE JOKE league in all of sports. The former Football league , the former hockey conference, lacrosse and baseball with the expelling of the best team in the league are just a few that come to mind.

Wow the maac got an at large. You are aware that the UNH of the AE got an at large this season and UMBC got an at large last season and won a game in the tourney as did champion UA. You can let me know when 2 different maac teams win tourney games in any sport in the same season. Also I am well aware of Marist . They are comparable to our champion Hartford. Maybe better, maybe worse. The difference is slight. Hartford beat Marist this season at Marist and Hartford beat as many teams that made the NCAA tourney this season without padding that with a couple of 16's like Marist did and Hartford advanced just as far as Marist. Now, granted Marist went further last season, but Hartford got upset by stronger competition in the AE than Marist sees out of the weak maac. As far as T&F, I don't follow it, but it sounds like the maac had one team that did well at one event. Good for them.

There is a link above for you where you can live in your maac is superior fantasyland but when you come over here with that nonsense it doesn't fly any more than the nonsense out of the clown who said LCC would beat UA by 25 this season or the clown who said LCC would beat UA by 25 last season or the season before,etc.

Again back to the point, the AE has no reason to fear a league like the maac and should continue the tourney as scheduled. The AE can play in front of lively crowds while the maac plays in front of thousands of empty seats.

This is a $iena story/blog posting. Just because Iorizzo called the AE office and they declined an interview that doesn't warrant a story or speculation. Just wait 10 days until you have an ounce of facts to report on.

It is typical pro $iena spin of a second rate paper.

As an FYI, I got an email today that says my season ticket renewal info plus AE tournament information is being mailed out this week.

Bob, where in my post did I compare the two leagues? I simply corrected your assertion that the MAAC does not do well in other sports.

BTW, I would qualify Siena's wins at Loyola (#17 in the country) and against Harvard as quality ones. So, you are wrong again when you call the lacrosse league a joke.

Bob, where in my post did I compare the two leagues? I simply corrected your assertion that the MAAC does not do well in other sports.

BTW, I would qualify Siena's wins at Loyola (#17 in the country) and against Harvard as quality ones. So, you are wrong again when you call the lacrosse league a joke.

Right the maac does well in other sports including lacrosse because the maac has 2 somewhat decent wins last season.

However, I would say when a league regularly wins 20 percent or less of their OOC games(.181 in 2008) and loses their NCAA tournament games by more than 10 goals more times than not, the league is a joke. Including in that is the last 2 years when they are supposedly improved and still lost by 15 and 17 goals. And I am not going to bother to look to see how bad the maacs margin of defeat is in the regular season compared to other conferences as the w/l pct is pathetic enough and the maac is the only league without an NCAA tournament win over the last 5 or 6 seasons.

Again to not get too far off the point the maac is not a league to be feared in anything and certainly not a tournament I would be willing to pay to see.

But, you can even go enjoy your maac games at double the price of comparable games for all I care.

So, you are wrong again when you call the lacrosse league a joke.

Laxpower Lacrosse conference ratings, with out-of-conference records

Men's Division I

Rank Conference PR W L Pct.

1 ACC 95.86 40 8 0.833

2 Ivy League 91.46 31 24 0.564

3 ECAC 91.07 20 32 0.385

4 Independent 90.73 25 16 0.610

5 Great Western 90.54 35 19 0.648

6 Patriot 90.08 31 26 0.544

7 America East 89.89 18 33 0.353

8 Colonial 89.61 28 28 0.500

9 Metro Atlantic 85.27 9 51 0.150

So, you are wrong again when you call the lacrosse league a joke.

Laxpower Lacrosse conference ratings, with out-of-conference records

Men's Division I

Rank Conference PR W L Pct.

1 ACC 95.86 40 8 0.833

2 Ivy League 91.46 31 24 0.564

3 ECAC 91.07 20 32 0.385

4 Independent 90.73 25 16 0.610

5 Great Western 90.54 35 19 0.648

6 Patriot 90.08 31 26 0.544

7 America East 89.89 18 33 0.353

8 Colonial 89.61 28 28 0.500

9 Metro Atlantic 85.27 9 51 0.150

UAalum72

My math had the maac at 12 W 54 L, but I forgot to exclude non D1 games making the maac even worse than I had them. Thanks for putting up the 9-51 record!!!

Funny thing is, Canisius received a better seed than UMBCDFGHJSKJGH in this year's tournament.

Only the first 8 teams are seeded. The rest are geographical. Hi, my name is MOE RON...nice to meet you.

Funny thing is, Canisius received a better seed than UMBCDFGHJSKJGH in this year's tournament.

Only the first 8 teams are seeded. The rest are geographical. Hi, my name is MOE RON...nice to meet you.

Aint73, now that you again showed your knowledge of sports is about as limited as the maacs ability to play them, please return to either of the 2 links above that are appropriate for dummies and stay there. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/index.asp

http://www.arborwood.com/awforums/show-top...7155&taid=1

Archived