UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Albany @ Columbia

After an absolutely thrilling comeback win to get to .500 on the season, the team travels to Columbia for yet another road game. This will be our fourth road game of this young basketball season so we are quite the road warriors.

Columbia was picked 6th out of 8 teams in the Ivy League in the preseason media poll. Last Saturday UMBC won comfortable on the road at Columbia by the final score of 66-52. On the year, Columbia is 2-2 with wins over Fordham and Bryant.

The way I see it…..scouting report of Columbia paints the following picture.

- On offense, Columbia flat out is not a good offensive team. They are hitting roughly 24% on the year from the outside. Their offensive efficiency is rated 305th in the country and their effective FG%, which takes into account both two and three pointers made (although weighing the 3’s more heavily) is also dismal, ranked 297th in the country. We need to secure the defensive boards as it appears they are a very good at giving themselves second chances by gobbling up a fair share of offensive boards. I’m not sure if that is more of a testament to their offensive rebound prowess or the fact that they do not shoot a high percentage from the field and thus there are more offensive boards to be had.

- As subpar as Columbia has been on the offensive end this season, they are a very good defensive team. Looking at the stats, they don’t appear to force a whole lot of TO’s but it appears they do a great job of limiting their opposition from the field and they do not give up allot of offensive boards. UA of course is one of the better teams in the country in the offensive rebounding dept (68th).

- Columbia is not a team that runs a whole lot… If we can secure the defensive boards and push the pace they’ll have a hard time as they don’t really play an up-tempo game.

- Patrick Foley a 6’2” 170lb guard is the only player averaging double figures in points (13.8).

As always, we must limit our TO’s, we’ve done better in this department over the last couple of games….14 against CCSU and 15 against Bryant vs. 20 in the first two games. We cannot beat ourselves with the TO’s. Also, IMO (for what that’s worth) I’d like to see us hit the defensive boards and run on Columbia, you have to hit the boards and throw quick outlet passes in order to run. And one last thing……play a 40 minute game vs. a 30 minute game. I’d love to get a game where we don’t have to bite our nails…I’m all out of nails to bite and I’ll need a few days for them to re-grow.

Columbia Message Board

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should be an interesting game.

1. We're on the road again!

2. Will we play 40 minutes?

3. Will Columbia beat us on the boards?

4. Will we defend the three?

5. Can Raffa and Johnson defensively contain and offensively exploit Foley?

6. Does Columbia have someone to match up with Ambrose?

7. Will Will Harris decide to be dominant?

8. Will Scottie McCrae be productive?

I have many other questions about this team that I hope are atleast partially answered in this game

Should be interesting!!!

I think have have more questions after 4 games then I had before the first game.

Archived