UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Hart @ UA

Ambrose is an outright disaster...and kudos for coach for just biting the bullet. I would suspect he will lose more and more time as the season progresses unless he magically wakes up.

As more of a listener than a poster on this forum I have always respected Dane 96's insight and once again he is totally and completely on point...Ambrose is probably a nice kid..but...quite simply he is not a very good D1 basketball player...he evidences zero court awareness and vision tonight he attempted to go to the hoop in a 1 on 5 situation...that is simply not acceptable from a D1 guard, or a jr hi guard for that matter!!!....and he absolutely does not have a team oriented bone in his body...Ms Orange Dane and myself, like others on this board continue to be amazed at fans calling for him to be in the game...I am sure that if you tracked the scoring during his time on the court tonight you would see that UA would be down 10-12 points and similarly up 10-12 without him..its simple addition by deduction and yes unless his attitude and skill set improves his p time will continue to decline...the youngster has simply never advanced as a player during his tenure here...potential only takes one so far...I often wonder if fans are stuck on him as a result of "the dunk" in his freshman year...he also scored alot in blowouts at Duke and KU in both instances the points came well after the matter was decided and the opponents had put thier defense on furlough...ok...I know some folks will trash me for expressing my view so now I will go back to listening and Dane 96 keep telling it like it is!

As one who disagrees with this opinion, I'll respond. I will not trash you for it however.

I loved "the dunk". Loved that he scored again 24 agains Duke (early and late).

I also love that he scored 28? against UVM in a half of an important conference game. Love that he stole the UNH? game for us last year. I like that when nobody else on this team wants or is capable of scoring he can and does.

I would completely disagree with your +- analysis (although I don't have the time to verify). I do know he was on the floor for the 15-0 run at UNH this year, actually running the point for some of it. We've won six games this year, Tim was the leading scorer in 4 of those. Most likely not when teams D's were on furlough.

We won 15 games last year. Hastings was the leading scorer once. Other 14 games? Harris (2), Raffa (6), Ambrose (6).

I also know that this team would endure even longer stretches (as it did at the end of last nights game) with unwatchable offense.

In two years name me a player that has scored more than one big basket for us not named Tim Ambrose, Will Harris, or Anthony Raffa?

Can somebody tell me who has led the team in assists the last two seasons (if we had competent inside or outside scorers his assist would be much higher)? Who is first/second in scoring and rebounds? And steals?

I know he is not perfect or even a great player, but he is better than all other options at this point. Some will improve to be better, maybe. But come on, Logan has a great game and we forget the 1-17 streak and the TO's. Jake shows some energy and promise and we forget that he is shooting what 25% from three?

In the end, I'm game for the experiment. Ambrose is awful right? Not a team player? Doesn't understand team basketball or defense? He's a TO machine? OK, bench him. For a game or the season and enjoy 35-40 point efforts from this team. Enjoy an offense that faces a shot clock violation 3 out of 4 trips down the court. Watch everyone elses TO's increase because they need to try to create off of those offensive (dual meaning) sets.

Also how does Coach get a pass on that end of the game play calling and for that matter is beginning of game play calling? That is not something a D1 coach or even a Jr. high coach should do. Can anyone address this? Was it addressed in the post game?

Take a look at the stands. Take a look at this board and consider where we were 3 years ago. Three seasons ago it was rebuilding. Last year injuries. This year it's Ambrose.

Which of the freshmen is going to score enough to put us above 50 points on a given night?

While I definitely understand where you're coming from, I'm gonna disagree with you and here is why.

Over the past 3 years, I have been as big of a supporter for Ambrose as anyone else. I think the kid is ridiculously talented, can score the ball at will when need be, and has carried this team through games we've had no business winning. However, as I write this, we are simply a better team right now without him than we are with him. It seems like almost every time he touched the ball last night, he would dribble into a double team, force up a terrible shot, or simply turn the ball over. He is not playing team basketball, and he is setting a terrible example for the freshmen on how to play team basketball. If anybody else on this team were playing the same way Tim were, they wouldn't be seeing a second of PT. If we are going to lose, I want to lose playing team basketball, letting the young kids grow. I don't want to lose by having Tim give the ball away 6 times, forcing up terrible shots

I guess I continue to disagree that we are better without him.

I look at it this way. What game that we have lost w/ Tim would we have won? I'll say none. And I'm pretty confident with that.

On the other side what wins would we have lost without Tim. I can say with almost certainty that we would have lost UMBC without him. And I think there is a case to be made we may have lost the Robert Morris game without him.

Now if like Bosi, you're ready to say mail it in and start looking at next year? Might be a good plan. Can they refund the "mail it in" portion of my season tickets?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One other gripe I have....since we are being honest here.....I'm downright angry with MJ. It sickens me to know that he REFUSES TO PUT A SHOT UP. Simply refuses to....last night he was open a couple of times and he doesn't even think about shooting.

Think about this....in AE play he's attempting 1.9 shots per game....our senior PG is attempting not even two shots! Why would the defense not slack off of him?

BAHHHHHHH *throws hands up*

Well if it makes you feel any better UVM got destroyed tonight by UNH. I'm not sure what is going on with UVM or BU. Who would have thought that mid way through this season that Maine and Stony Brook would be the top teams in the AE?

Fear not the Catamounts - we are a train wreck right now and no relief insight.

Johnson is not playing with confidence, that's for sure. Black brought it on both ends of the court. Black looks hungry on the defensive end, fleecing Hartford's guards, and playing good perimeter defense. My gripe is, I do not like small pg's, but we've had good small pg's before.

Fran Urli's nice little left handed post up move going left handed was nice to see. As a freshmen, showing that sort of agility in the paint, well its very exciting to see how he develops. He turned it over in the paint but, developing to a point where he sees the help defense and can kick it out is key for his success. Regardless of noticing help defense, which is huge, the guards on the elbows were not vocal enough in calling for the ball for spot up shots. He jumps a little when he shoots his foul shots, which is weird, but shooting free throws at a 70% clip.

Logan Aronhalt can stop on a dime and pop, and he does a nice job on his takes. On defense he keeps his body between guards and the hoop. He had a sweet jam, and he really enjoys that. On a couple of loose balls, he was already leaving the defensive end, trying to get those break away points.

I would like to see more North-South on this team. Getting guards some spot up shots, which Allen and Black seem to hit, and Aronhalt can hit inside the perimeter. This is dependent on the forwards kicking it out. Nine turnovers by forwards... they were smothered by Hartford's help defense.

Exciting game, exciting young players.

I'm torn on Ambrose because I want him to be good but every time he touches the ball I cringe a little. I've watched almost every game this season online and have been to two road games and it really is scary to see him have so many turnovers. Opposing teams seem to have such an easy time ripping the ball away from him when he is driving and they are keying on him and doubling him A LOT. He needs to find the open man instead of trying to force something. The lazy passes and passes in traffic need to stop. You would think that when Brown pulls him after a bad pass for the 100th time he would learn not to do it but he doesn't, which has found him a spot on the bench.

Someone posted that no one makes big shots. I saw Logan make two last night towards the end of the game. A short jumper and a three off the inbounds play.

I agree with you guys on the last play. Brown should have never run the clock down. That was just kind of dumb.

From the stream I was watching it did look like Black got clobbered on his final attempt with time running out but I guess in a scramble like that the refs won't make that call.

Johnson is not playing with confidence, that's for sure. Black brought it on both ends of the court. Black looks hungry on the defensive end, fleecing Hartford's guards, and playing good perimeter defense. My gripe is, I do not like small pg's, but we've had good small pg's before.

Fran Urli's nice little left handed post up move going left handed was nice to see. As a freshmen, showing that sort of agility in the paint, well its very exciting to see how he develops. He turned it over in the paint but, developing to a point where he sees the help defense and can kick it out is key for his success. Regardless of noticing help defense, which is huge, the guards on the elbows were not vocal enough in calling for the ball for spot up shots. He jumps a little when he shoots his foul shots, which is weird, but shooting free throws at a 70% clip.

Logan Aronhalt can stop on a dime and pop, and he does a nice job on his takes. On defense he keeps his body between guards and the hoop. He had a sweet jam, and he really enjoys that. On a couple of loose balls, he was already leaving the defensive end, trying to get those break away points.

I would like to see more North-South on this team. Getting guards some spot up shots, which Allen and Black seem to hit, and Aronhalt can hit inside the perimeter. This is dependent on the forwards kicking it out. Nine turnovers by forwards... they were smothered by Hartford's help defense.

How many years of eligibility does Urli have? That's awesome if he's a freshman with 3 more, but I heard that he transferred only has 1 year left. Watching him I think he has a lot of potential - in the post and shooting from the outside.

How many years of eligibility does Urli have? That's awesome if he's a freshman with 3 more, but I heard that he transferred only has 1 year left. Watching him I think he has a lot of potential - in the post and shooting from the outside.

He's a junior now...will be a senior next year.....so one more year after this one. Truth be told, he's the only one with any kind of post moves.

From the stream I was watching it did look like Black got clobbered on his final attempt with time running out but I guess in a scramble like that the refs won't make that call.

I dvr'd the game as it was on TW3 and re-watched the last shot like 10 times....if there was a foul it was a good non call...there was zero body contact...he might have been hit on the arm but it looked worse then it actually was.

Did anyone else rewatch the last play? Maybe I'm just crazy.

Shocker...Mark McGuire pens another great article. This is the stuff that Mark should be doing.

And you know what, Mark did it right-- didnt sugar coat the microscope that Coach will be under, while pointing out there is some young aggressive talent that are rookies. He even points out what some of us have been saying: TIM IS NOT A GO TO GUY...rather he is going to be a good 6th man (or could be).

Well done Mark...Well done

I'm torn on Ambrose because I want him to be good but every time he touches the ball I cringe a little. I've watched almost every game this season online and have been to two road games and it really is scary to see him have so many turnovers. Opposing teams seem to have such an easy time ripping the ball away from him when he is driving and they are keying on him and doubling him A LOT. He needs to find the open man instead of trying to force something. The lazy passes and passes in traffic need to stop. You would think that when Brown pulls him after a bad pass for the 100th time he would learn not to do it but he doesn't, which has found him a spot on the bench.

Someone posted that no one makes big shots. I saw Logan make two last night towards the end of the game. A short jumper and a three off the inbounds play.

I agree with you guys on the last play. Brown should have never run the clock down. That was just kind of dumb.

I had the big shot statement. I guess to me a big shot has to win or help win a game. And to be clear, I too like a few of the young guys, they just aren't there yet. And outside of Mike Black, none even comes close to being consistent.

Shocker...Mark McGuire pens another great article. This is the stuff that Mark should be doing.

And you know what, Mark did it right-- didnt sugar coat the microscope that Coach will be under, while pointing out there is some young aggressive talent that are rookies. He even points out what some of us have been saying: TIM IS NOT A GO TO GUY...rather he is going to be a good 6th man (or could be).

Well done Mark...Well done

Neither one of these guys asked the most important question regarding last nights game, "why hold for the last shot down by 2 in your own building?"

And the second most "You really think this team, this year, wins more w/o Tim Ambrose on the floor?"

So yes I too am glad they hit on some of the issues and recognize coach is coaching for his future, but they missed out on the elephant in the room.

Recognizing I'll convince no one and apparantly most think I'm lost.

Based on 40 minutes of play:

Tim Ambrose:

4.4 assist and 5.1 TO's = .86 TO/assist

Mike Black:

4.0 assist and 4.1 TO's = .98 TO/assist

Just something to think about.

McFan they did answer the question about the final sequence - with no time outs and 3 Frosh and a Soph on the court, they were trying to set up the final sequence, they got a solid shot ( Fr. Lindfors) which rimmed out, got an offensive rebound (Fr. Aronhalt) and a final shot (Fr. Black) all while down 2

UAlbany was out of timeouts, but Brown had told his players what he wanted to run. "We wanted to make sure we got the best shot we could, but we also wanted to run something with enough time where if we missed we'd have a chance to tip the ball in or tip it out for a shot," Brown said.

Hartford (6-15, 4-4) denied the ball from Black, leaving Lindfors to drive the ball into the lane as time ran down.

"He got a darned good look, and it rolled out," Brown said.

As for will they win more with or without Tim the rest of this year?

Brown has offered his opinion on that in post games and the news saying they need Timmy. CB, I think needs Timmy to attempt to play some D and value the ball a more. He is built like a Fullback yet guys take the ball right out of his hands or he floats soft nondescript passes. In my opinion, when Ambrose is a total defensive liability and constantly turns the ball over he becomes counter productive. When he plays average D and doesn't turn it over he can be dominant. The problem with Ambrose is that he shows us so much "God Given Talent" that we are overly attracted and infatuated with his potential.

Archived