UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Hart @ UA

The youth movement continues....I like it!

Logan had a good game, so did Lindfors....even Black came on in the second half....Ambrose was NOT good...if we are gonna lose, I'd rather lose with the kids getting the minutes.

Bad chose not trying to score down the stretch as soon as possible...even if you miss....foul and extend the game. Why hold the ball down 2?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I wasn't yelling to put Ambrose in, I certainly wanted him in.

I understand the "I'd just as soon lose w/ the freshman" mentality, but how about a win? Why not try to win that game? Does anybody really think our offense is better with Tim on the bench? Tim was awful. It's his fault. 10 pts, 6 assists, 2 steals, 4 rebounds, and yep 6 TO's. Some bad TO's, some where he just is left no option but to try something.

And why did we hold the ball for 30 seconds on the last posession? Did coach think the game was tied? I'm I wrong or is that coaching 101? More chances if you attack and foul. Somebody please explain? And w/o Tim on the floor that was a great set right? Jake Lindfors (who was great again tonight) with a running leaner in the lane w/ two guys on him?

That game was winnable or at least OT'able, and coach had to prove a point. Well done.

I didn't really understand that last possesion either but I'll be able to see it on TW3 about 100 times so I'll probably watch it again. We didn't have a timeout, that I'm sure of.

The way the young guys are starting to play I can't see us going 1-7 the second half of conference play. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Harris comes back.

Ambrose is an outright disaster...and kudos for coach for just biting the bullet. I would suspect he will lose more and more time as the season progresses unless he magically wakes up.

As more of a listener than a poster on this forum I have always respected Dane 96's insight and once again he is totally and completely on point...Ambrose is probably a nice kid..but...quite simply he is not a very good D1 basketball player...he evidences zero court awareness and vision tonight he attempted to go to the hoop in a 1 on 5 situation...that is simply not acceptable from a D1 guard, or a jr hi guard for that matter!!!....and he absolutely does not have a team oriented bone in his body...Ms Orange Dane and myself, like others on this board continue to be amazed at fans calling for him to be in the game...I am sure that if you tracked the scoring during his time on the court tonight you would see that UA would be down 10-12 points and similarly up 10-12 without him..its simple addition by deduction and yes unless his attitude and skill set improves his p time will continue to decline...the youngster has simply never advanced as a player during his tenure here...potential only takes one so far...I often wonder if fans are stuck on him as a result of "the dunk" in his freshman year...he also scored alot in blowouts at Duke and KU in both instances the points came well after the matter was decided and the opponents had put thier defense on furlough...ok...I know some folks will trash me for expressing my view so now I will go back to listening and Dane 96 keep telling it like it is!

Ambrose is an outright disaster...and kudos for coach for just biting the bullet. I would suspect he will lose more and more time as the season progresses unless he magically wakes up.

As more of a listener than a poster on this forum I have always respected Dane 96's insight and once again he is totally and completely on point...Ambrose is probably a nice kid..but...quite simply he is not a very good D1 basketball player...he evidences zero court awareness and vision tonight he attempted to go to the hoop in a 1 on 5 situation...that is simply not acceptable from a D1 guard, or a jr hi guard for that matter!!!....and he absolutely does not have a team oriented bone in his body...Ms Orange Dane and myself, like others on this board continue to be amazed at fans calling for him to be in the game...I am sure that if you tracked the scoring during his time on the court tonight you would see that UA would be down 10-12 points and similarly up 10-12 without him..its simple addition by deduction and yes unless his attitude and skill set improves his p time will continue to decline...the youngster has simply never advanced as a player during his tenure here...potential only takes one so far...I often wonder if fans are stuck on him as a result of "the dunk" in his freshman year...he also scored alot in blowouts at Duke and KU in both instances the points came well after the matter was decided and the opponents had put thier defense on furlough...ok...I know some folks will trash me for expressing my view so now I will go back to listening and Dane 96 keep telling it like it is!

As one who disagrees with this opinion, I'll respond. I will not trash you for it however.

I loved "the dunk". Loved that he scored again 24 agains Duke (early and late).

I also love that he scored 28? against UVM in a half of an important conference game. Love that he stole the UNH? game for us last year. I like that when nobody else on this team wants or is capable of scoring he can and does.

I would completely disagree with your +- analysis (although I don't have the time to verify). I do know he was on the floor for the 15-0 run at UNH this year, actually running the point for some of it. We've won six games this year, Tim was the leading scorer in 4 of those. Most likely not when teams D's were on furlough.

We won 15 games last year. Hastings was the leading scorer once. Other 14 games? Harris (2), Raffa (6), Ambrose (6).

I also know that this team would endure even longer stretches (as it did at the end of last nights game) with unwatchable offense.

In two years name me a player that has scored more than one big basket for us not named Tim Ambrose, Will Harris, or Anthony Raffa?

Can somebody tell me who has led the team in assists the last two seasons (if we had competent inside or outside scorers his assist would be much higher)? Who is first/second in scoring and rebounds? And steals?

I know he is not perfect or even a great player, but he is better than all other options at this point. Some will improve to be better, maybe. But come on, Logan has a great game and we forget the 1-17 streak and the TO's. Jake shows some energy and promise and we forget that he is shooting what 25% from three?

In the end, I'm game for the experiment. Ambrose is awful right? Not a team player? Doesn't understand team basketball or defense? He's a TO machine? OK, bench him. For a game or the season and enjoy 35-40 point efforts from this team. Enjoy an offense that faces a shot clock violation 3 out of 4 trips down the court. Watch everyone elses TO's increase because they need to try to create off of those offensive (dual meaning) sets.

Also how does Coach get a pass on that end of the game play calling and for that matter is beginning of game play calling? That is not something a D1 coach or even a Jr. high coach should do. Can anyone address this? Was it addressed in the post game?

Take a look at the stands. Take a look at this board and consider where we were 3 years ago. Three seasons ago it was rebuilding. Last year injuries. This year it's Ambrose.

Which of the freshmen is going to score enough to put us above 50 points on a given night?

Maybe I'm not as upset as I was earlier in the season because I've come to grips with reality. For me this season or what's left of it is about the development of young players. Kids like Black, Logan, Tartt, Metcalf, Lindfors and Allen who for the most part are all playing pretty well. It's not that I don't care about Harris, Ambrose, Urli (actually playing very well himself) Giff and others....but it's clear as day that Harris, Giff, McRae and MJ are not the future of the program. They will all be graduating....

As one who disagrees with this opinion, I'll respond. I will not trash you for it however.

I loved "the dunk". Loved that he scored again 24 agains Duke (early and late).

I also love that he scored 28? against UVM in a half of an important conference game. Love that he stole the UNH? game for us last year. I like that when nobody else on this team wants or is capable of scoring he can and does.

I would completely disagree with your +- analysis (although I don't have the time to verify). I do know he was on the floor for the 15-0 run at UNH this year, actually running the point for some of it. We've won six games this year, Tim was the leading scorer in 4 of those. Most likely not when teams D's were on furlough.

We won 15 games last year. Hastings was the leading scorer once. Other 14 games? Harris (2), Raffa (6), Ambrose (6).

I also know that this team would endure even longer stretches (as it did at the end of last nights game) with unwatchable offense.

In two years name me a player that has scored more than one big basket for us not named Tim Ambrose, Will Harris, or Anthony Raffa?

Can somebody tell me who has led the team in assists the last two seasons (if we had competent inside or outside scorers his assist would be much higher)? Who is first/second in scoring and rebounds? And steals?

I know he is not perfect or even a great player, but he is better than all other options at this point. Some will improve to be better, maybe. But come on, Logan has a great game and we forget the 1-17 streak and the TO's. Jake shows some energy and promise and we forget that he is shooting what 25% from three?

In the end, I'm game for the experiment. Ambrose is awful right? Not a team player? Doesn't understand team basketball or defense? He's a TO machine? OK, bench him. For a game or the season and enjoy 35-40 point efforts from this team. Enjoy an offense that faces a shot clock violation 3 out of 4 trips down the court. Watch everyone elses TO's increase because they need to try to create off of those offensive (dual meaning) sets.

Also how does Coach get a pass on that end of the game play calling and for that matter is beginning of game play calling? That is not something a D1 coach or even a Jr. high coach should do. Can anyone address this? Was it addressed in the post game?

Take a look at the stands. Take a look at this board and consider where we were 3 years ago. Three seasons ago it was rebuilding. Last year injuries. This year it's Ambrose.

Which of the freshmen is going to score enough to put us above 50 points on a given night?

While I definitely understand where you're coming from, I'm gonna disagree with you and here is why.

Over the past 3 years, I have been as big of a supporter for Ambrose as anyone else. I think the kid is ridiculously talented, can score the ball at will when need be, and has carried this team through games we've had no business winning. However, as I write this, we are simply a better team right now without him than we are with him. It seems like almost every time he touched the ball last night, he would dribble into a double team, force up a terrible shot, or simply turn the ball over. He is not playing team basketball, and he is setting a terrible example for the freshmen on how to play team basketball. If anybody else on this team were playing the same way Tim were, they wouldn't be seeing a second of PT. If we are going to lose, I want to lose playing team basketball, letting the young kids grow. I don't want to lose by having Tim give the ball away 6 times, forcing up terrible shots

Archived