UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Will Brown - Contrace Extension

I'm on the fence for one reason alone. I think he should be able to finish this run out next year with the kids he brought in who will be seniors, (Logan, Black, Suero and Guerrier). Because of that I do not think he should get a long term contract. Maybe two years with a salary we are willing to eat next year if they don't make the run we should have with that group as seniors. Without injuries and some players coming back/in they should be even better next year.

I really like Will. I've had a few interactions with him and they have all been very pleasant. I think he and his staff recruit high quality student athletes. I think there have been some injuries and kids leaving that has hurt the program and the success he was trying to build. Just wanted to add this becaue I do like Will Brown.

Well, that changes my last post on this subject quoted here. He wasn't able to keep two of the four I mentioned above. Should not get this extension. I'm sorry. Time to turn the page.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This extension has a "prove it to me" kind of feel to it. Let's face it, we haven't been very good. Today's announcement is another brutal kick to the stomach.

For me the last contract was the "prove it" contract. He didn't. Not to me and not to a lot of fans. All this the same week that the season ticket email comes out. I'll be there of course but is anybody really excited about 2-3 more years of Will Brown? As a program there has been no improvement to speak of and with the departure of Suero and Aronhalt is there any excitement at all. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see anything special here. I do see lost opportunity of the NCAA years. That was a huge opportunity to do some real recruiting and become a power in the AE. Instead nothing but mediocrity in a terrible conference.

Are there no better options out there?

Take a look at the limited activity on this board given what has gone on the last couple of days. From the Jamar years to this.

Very disappointing.

Edited by McFan

The school just recommitted to Brown for two more year...nothing left to do but get behind the program and hope for the best. The contract is done...if in two years we are still a .500 program going nowhere then the school will have to take a look at it again.

I'm only taking this approach because honestly there is nothing else left to do...I don't know if he can turn it around. All I know is we've been pretty average.

The school just recommitted to Brown for two more year...nothing left to do but get behind the program and hope for the best. The contract is done...if in two years we are still a .500 program going nowhere then the school will have to take a look at it again.

I'm only taking this approach because honestly there is nothing else left to do...I don't know if he can turn it around. All I know is we've been pretty average.

Rip up the contract before the legal department signs it.

Rip up the contract before the legal department signs it.

Believe me...I'm the first one here that wants to believe that this program is back but this week took all of the wind out of my sails.

This extension has a "prove it to me" kind of feel to it. Let's face it, we haven't been very good. Today's announcement is another brutal kick to the stomach.

I would phrase it a little differently. This two year extension and the departures indicate to me that the next decision will be made by others. Certainly there will be a new University President by then and I would not be surprised to find out that there will be a new Athletic Director by then as well.

I would phrase it a little differently. This two year extension and the departures indicate to me that the next decision will be made by others. Certainly there will be a new University President by then and I would not be surprised to find out that there will be a new Athletic Director by then as well.

Rereading my early post, I also didn't intend to say that the two year contract is a brutal kick to the stomach, it may have come off like that. I meant the kick to the stomach being two of our better players leaving. I still think the best overall player was and is Mike Black on this team. Plays both sides of the ball, makes others better, can get to the cup and shoot from the outside.

I agree with "state" that the next administration will decide Brown's fate. But I think McElroy's fate and athletics in general rest with a new president. Phillips certainly has been supportive but very conservative and cautious. There has been a lot of talk about partially completed projects, phases of construction that never seem to come to complete fruition, what to do next {sefcu improvements and scoreboard, baseball/softball upgrades, conference affiliations, etc.}; will not be truly answered (if at all) until the next UA president {and what his/her's philosophy is on athletics and academics}.

Edited by dslyank

Believe me...I'm the first one here that wants to believe that this program is back but this week took all of the wind out of my sails.

I have been a very strong supporter of Brown over the years but my frustration has taken over. Of course we should wait until the seasona nd see what transpires but you can say that every season and continuse to say that and nothing will ever change. At some point it has to end.

I agree with "state" that the next administration will decide Brown's fate. But I think McElroy's fate and athletics in general rest with a new president. Phillips certainly has been supportive but very conservative and cautious. There has been a lot of talk about partially completed projects, phases of construction that never seem to come to complete fruition, what to do next {sefcu improvements and scoreboard, baseball/softball upgrades, conference affiliations, etc.}; will not be truly answered (if at all) until the next UA president {and what his/her's philosophy is on athletics and academics}.

I hope we're not waiting for a new President to work on conference affiliation. If so, we're going to be left in the dust.

From dust we came and from dust we shall depart. I've said for years, no conference (@ least football wise) would even look at us until we had an appropriate stadium. Well, when the dust settles on Bob Ford Field perhaps we will get some looks. But my point is there are numerous other concerns (baseball/softball upgrades, sefcu upgrades; additional scholarships; Brown's, McElroy's, Marr's futures; etc. etc. which need to be addressed. I think we have already been "left in the dust," but perhaps we are digging out now and hopefully the new president will expedite the effort. But as someone else (I think Brutus) said the issues and finances are complicated and it will take time. I think we are finally going in the right direction--digging out of the dust.

Edited by dslyank

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@PeteIorizzo: In case you still were wondering, no, UAlbany coach Will Brown still has not signed his contract extension.

@PeteIorizzo But the school tells me his "term appointment" has been renewed, and the contract is more or less a formality after that.

@PeteIorizzo Per Freedom of Information Laws, UAlbany will not release any documents related to the contract until it is signed.