UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some knowledge of the situation (CDB alum) and finally got approved to comment today after a week of waiting, so allow me to answer some of the concerns raised in this thread.

What caused the move?

Here's the short version: UAlbany doesn't want to pay both OFX and the broadcasters, so are trying to takeover the student station. From what I heard from the college students, they were led to believe that they would be broadcasting games, then were told they'd be relegated to doing halftime shows and board oping and other less exciting things. I can't imagine that Byeland are thrilled about going from a legitimate radio station back to college radio either, meaning that Athletics have alienated, not one, but two radio stations at the same time. Unprecedented.

Will they be broadcasting online or through an app and is that restricted in any way?

They will broadcast online and through the tunein app, and it isn't restricted in any way by geography or otherwise. When you don't hear anything on it, there is nothing on the radio station. Remember, when sports isn't being covered it is a crappy college radio station that doesn't have a 24 hour schedule.

Will other sports now be featured as a result of the deal?

There is literally zero chance. As 06 noted, the rest of the station has tried to eliminate sports on the station for years. Some are already upset that these games are happening as it is. Nothing else will be added, and that is a fact.

Will the quality of broadcasts decline?

If so, it has nothing to do with the change of stations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLtKMi_TVkA&list=UUInUF7Xo83WFxKHOWLtZeyw&index=8&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McRBk4auvbI&list=UUInUF7Xo83WFxKHOWLtZeyw&index=12&feature=plcp

It doesn't sound like a phonograph, right? Also, CDB got a new board for game broadcasts which they will start using this year, so it will only sound better from a quality standpoint. I can't guarantee the same from a Rodger Wyland standpoint.

So, this move isn't that bad, unless you're a college kid who wants to build a resume without fetching coffees for someone. Then screw you.

I have some knowledge of the situation (CDB alum) and finally got approved to comment today after a week of waiting, so allow me to answer some of the concerns raised in this thread.

What caused the move?

Here's the short version: UAlbany doesn't want to pay both OFX and the broadcasters, so are trying to takeover the student station. From what I heard from the college students, they were led to believe that they would be broadcasting games, then were told they'd be relegated to doing halftime shows and board oping and other less exciting things. I can't imagine that Byeland are thrilled about going from a legitimate radio station back to college radio either, meaning that Athletics have alienated, not one, but two radio stations at the same time. Unprecedented.

Will they be broadcasting online or through an app and is that restricted in any way?

They will broadcast online and through the tunein app, and it isn't restricted in any way by geography or otherwise. When you don't hear anything on it, there is nothing on the radio station. Remember, when sports isn't being covered it is a crappy college radio station that doesn't have a 24 hour schedule.

There is literally zero chance. As 06 noted, the rest of the station has tried to eliminate sports on the station for years. Some are already upset that these games are happening as it is. Nothing else will be added, and that is a fact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLtKMi_TVkA&list=UUInUF7Xo83WFxKHOWLtZeyw&index=8&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McRBk4auvbI&list=UUInUF7Xo83WFxKHOWLtZeyw&index=12&feature=plcp

It doesn't sound like a phonograph, right? Also, CDB got a new board for game broadcasts which they will start using this year, so it will only sound better from a quality standpoint. I can't guarantee the same from a Rodger Wyland standpoint.

So, this move isn't that bad, unless you're a college kid who wants to build a resume without fetching coffees for someone. Then screw you.

Wow, what happened to paying your dues? If you fetch coffee and open your ears, you might learn something...damn kinds thinking they can start at the top again

I'm not a fan of this change. Fox provided a level of professionalism. Being on Fox can also bring in the casual Fox listener. We totally miss that audience when we only broadcast via a college station. Missing that audience means we also miss the chance to grow the brand. I'm also fearful the quality will suffer. A college radio station will not have broad appeal nor the quality of a commercial radio station.

Across football country, how do colleges usually broadcast their games, through the college station or elsewhere?

To me its an insignificant issue. I'll be at Ford Field for all the home games, and if there's an audio webcast of

the game anywhere, that's all I care about.

Now, if they were axing out audio broadcasts all together, then that would be an issue.

Let em fetch the coffee and beer, and make the little dweebs learn and earn their way.

Edit: If this signifies that the university is trying to IMPROVE in all areas, including the university radio station, then it's a great idea. If the station now has 'dead' air time, fill it on up with some FCS Championship caliber football broadcasts I say!!!! That will improve that station 1000% over night. I prefer letting our football program and other programs help build that station, cause I see it now as virtually non-existent.

Edited by uofalbany

What caused the move?

Wow, what happened to paying your dues? If you fetch coffee and open your ears, you might learn something...damn kinds thinking they can start at the top again

I'm not saying that anyone should "start at the top." For God's sake, the college station has been broadcasting football games from a folding table next to the press box for years. Not exactly the top. But a system was in place where the pros could broadcast the games while the students could build clips and learn how to work among professionals. To take that away is unjust, plain and simple.

Edited by LoganAronhaltsKnees