UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2013 Men's Lacrosse

I'm not sure how accurate this is.... but I thought I overheard (before the tourny pairings were announced)

that because of unreasonable far distances to travel and the associated travel costs, two teams' travel expenses are paid for by the ncaa.

Anyone else hear this.... and if true, I'd assume Albany gets its travel paid for.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Evan Washburn in the Baltimore Sun:

Which seeded team has the most difficult path to the Final Four?

That portion of the bracket with UNC, Lehigh, Denver and Albany, all four of those teams – in my mind – are capable of going to the Final Four. Whoever comes out of those matchups will face a really tough test in the quarters. All those teams have areas where they’re really successful. So the matchups almost fit each other perfectly. Lehigh’s defense is really strong, and they have one of the best goalies in the nation in [sophomore] Matt Poillon facing what we know about North Carolina’s attack. And then on the flipside, Denver’s defense has been a glaring issue all season, and Albany can score in bunches. So that’s probably the toughest portion of the bracket.

by Quint Kessenich May 6, 2013

Selection Sunday marks the end and a new beginning. We say goodbye to Virginia, Princeton, Drexel, Villanova and Johns Hopkins. We welcome Bryant, Towson, Detroit and Albany to the Big Dance. ...

Comments like this and some others on inside lacrosse were annoying. Towson has been to the show ten times and Albany five. Don't lump us with Bryant and Detroit. On the selection show Quint (I normally respect his opinion) said Albany would not have gotten in without the AQ; but on the AmEast telecast saturday they continuously said and showed charts with Albany in win or not.

OT. Also, a lot of talk on inside lacrosse about expanding the tournament and what to do with AQ's. Many promoting no AQ awarded for sub .500 record teams. I agree with this, but it may also throw league tournaments into disarray. Would the maac even had enough teams to run a tournament this year? THOUGHTS??

OT. Also, a lot of talk on inside lacrosse about expanding the tournament and what to do with AQ's. Many promoting no AQ awarded for sub .500 record teams. I agree with this, but it may also throw league tournaments into disarray. Would the maac even had enough teams to run a tournament this year? THOUGHTS??

No. The MAAC only had one team over .500 overall (Marist, which lost the tournament). So did the Northeast (Robert Morris, which lost). SO DID America East(luckily we won).

This is the same crap you heard (and still hear) on the FCS board. Boo hoo, the tournament's watered down, Boo hoo we have to dirty ourselves playing with these lowly teams, boo hoo it's not as elite as it used to be. They might as well come out and say limit the championship to the same dozen teams that have always been there and don't ever give anyone else a chance, ever.

FCS football was the only exception in the entire NCAA, and it's been fixed - otherwise, conference champions get an automatic bid to the playoffs. I'd even go further and say the champs are safe from play-in games, PIGs are for teams that can't win their league. That ain't gonna happen, though.

by Quint Kessenich May 6, 2013

Selection Sunday marks the end and a new beginning. We say goodbye to Virginia, Princeton, Drexel, Villanova and Johns Hopkins. We welcome Bryant, Towson, Detroit and Albany to the Big Dance. ...

Comments like this and some others on inside lacrosse were annoying. Towson has been to the show ten times and Albany five. Don't lump us with Bryant and Detroit. On the selection show Quint (I normally respect his opinion) said Albany would not have gotten in without the AQ; but on the AmEast telecast saturday they continuously said and showed charts with Albany in win or not.

He's just babbling like a child cause Johns Hopkins didn't get into the show.

Edited by uofalbany

Received this email in the morning. Nice touch by the new Prez:

"To our UAlbany Alumni Community:

Our Great Danes have once again represented the University with great distinction. This past weekend, the men's lacrosse team and men and women's track & field teams won America East Championships. Our women's lacrosse team also advanced to the championship for the third consecutive year, and while they fell short of the titles they won in 2011 and 2012, we are proud of their valiant effort.

This weekend will provide us with more opportunities to cheer on our student athletes. After securing the regular season America East Championship, the softball team heads to Binghamton Thursday with a chance to earn a spot in the 2013 NCAA Softball Championship. Our track and field athletes will continue to compete as well, heading to Princeton University Friday for the ECAC/IC4A Championship, and the men's lacrosse team heads to Colorado to take on Denver Saturday in the NCAA Tournament. The lacrosse game will be televised live nationally on ESPNU at 7:30 p.m.

UAlbany's student athletes continue to showcase their strengths in the classroom as well. Several of our undergraduates were recognized recently with a Chancellor's Award for Student Excellence or a Chancellor's Scholar Athletic Award.

As we approach this historic and exciting weekend, we wanted you to be aware of all of the areas where your alma mater is thriving. We appreciate your continued support and extend an open invitation to come back and visit the campus soon.

President Robert Jones"

Edited by uofalbany

I'm not sure how accurate this is.... but I thought I overheard (before the tourny pairings were announced)

that because of unreasonable far distances to travel and the associated travel costs, two teams' travel expenses are paid for by the ncaa.

Anyone else hear this.... and if true, I'd assume Albany gets its travel paid for.

The following link should answer that question: http://instagram.com...tion_ref_map=[]

(Private Jet)

Edited by haggyland