UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Nanocollege to split from UAlbany ?

purplenorange

Don't forget Kalyeros doesn't just become president; a separate college needs executive VPs, associate VPs, deans, its own admissions dept, and the entire bureaucracy of a separate college. Would it be uncharitable to suggest this is an opportunity for the governor to hand out patronage jobs?

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget Kalyeros doesn't just become president; a separate college needs executive VPs, associate VPs, deans, its own admissions dept, and the entire bureaucracy of a separate college. Would it be uncharitable to suggest this is an opportunity for the governor to hand out patronage jobs?

Exactly what SUNY needs....more state beurocrats.

SUNY should be folding duplicatibe administrations into each other....not creating new layers.

Highly disappointing... I'll be contacting all of the local reps... This can't happen! This will significantly weaken UA.

It's idiotic that they are duplicating all functions and costs instead of consolidating... If kalyeros is pushing for this... Fire him.. He's not the only genius in this country... This is a stupid power grab!

I have to believe that Dr Jones is fighting this. UA needs to release a statement to that fact. Why would we ever want to spin off this college? Gotta be a power grab like clack says.

UA should really have a legal right to this!!!

Also....if this is a power grab by Kalyeros, what are his motivations? Other than simply "power", does he believe that there is an advantage to being disassociated with UA? Are we holding it back in some way? There has to be so much more behind all of this.

Really sucks.

I can't help but feel insulted. Are they ashamed of UAlbany? Too good for this university?

I called or emailed every media outlet in Albany. We had an uphill battle when former Gov Spitzer declared war on UAlbany in the flagship wars. He lost then and we can also beat Cuomo's power grab too.

Cuomo is behind this underhanded plot to strip UAlbany of CNSE. He has to be exposed.

I can't help but feel insulted. Are they ashamed of UAlbany? Too good for this university?

I called or emailed every media outlet in Albany. We had an uphill battle when former Gov Spitzer declared war on UAlbany in the flagship wars. He lost then and we can also beat Cuomo's power grab too.

Cuomo is behind this underhanded plot to strip UAlbany of CNSE. He has to be exposed.

Exactly...I've emailed several news outlets as well as Zimpher and others...this WILL happen if we just sit here. We beat the flagship BS and we can beat this too.

This would never fly at UB or SBU...those school and their various parts work together to build a GREATER University...not only do we have to fight outsiders like Spitzer we now have to defend from wolves within who seek to weaken this University. Hopefully Pres. Jones has the intellectual capacity and will to fight these wolves off.

This is what happens when one man becomes more then the institution! Need to cut Kalyeros down a bit, he thinks he's irreplaceable.

Don't we need to understand what is behind this before we reach any conclusions? On its face it seems odd. I suspect the separation may have something to do with the bureaucratic hurdles CNSE has to jump through to make decisions. CNSE has partnered with some real heavyweights who are used to making things happen. If I am right then addressing the structural issues at UA is the way to go.

http://www.timesunio...any-4351208.php

Spinning off the NanoCollege as its own separate school has been considered a logical progression in recent years, considering the amount of state and federal funding the school enjoys, which overshadows the research dollars that UAlbany attracts on its own.

The NanoCollege has also been caught in a power struggle — below the surface — with UAlbany in recent years. The NanoCollege has hired high-profile UAlbany professors for its Albany NanoTech campus, and it recently grabbed Tech Valley High School, a major tenant at UAlbany's East Campus in East Greenbush, a move that enraged university officials and supporters.

On the same day that the Tech Valley High School move was announced, the NanoCollege also started replacing the "University at Albany" in its name with just "SUNY," a move that also raised suspicions and begged the question of whether the NanoCollege was seeking to become its own campus.

Edited by madDOG

I'll give Kalyeros the benefit of the doubt on this one until more details are known for the proposal.

Kalyeros has been very very good to UAlbany including on some of the causes near and dear to our hearts.

THIS!

I think the move is a Cuomo move since he is taking a beating right now. It's a stupid move...that creates MASSIVE overhead and effectively creates two schools next to one another. It makes zero sense.