UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Nanocollege to split from UAlbany ?

purplenorange

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest everyone send an email to Chancellor Zimpher ('chancellor@suny.edu') seconding Ted's great letter.

Copy and paste these two lines and send it along:

Chancellor Zimpher:

I support the thoughts Ted Anderson so eloquently expressed in today's Times Union. I sincerely hope you do as well.

http://www.timesunion.com/opinion/article/SUNY-S-risky-play-for-power-4403983.php

I would suggest everyone send an email to Chancellor Zimpher ('chancellor@suny.edu') seconding Ted's great letter.

Copy and paste these two lines and send it along:

Chancellor Zimpher:

I support the thoughts Ted Anderson so eloquently expressed in today's Times Union. I sincerely hope you do as well.

http://www.timesunio...wer-4403983.php

Done! Also got a reply from my Assembly person who indicated that this is very new and they haven't seen any details but he thought it may help UA if the two were separated because CNSE has been "taking" funds from UA. I replied back with the reasoning discussed here as to why that's nonsensical...

• 2 weeks later...

Response from Chancellor:

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding the relationship between the University at Albany and the College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering. Both institutions are indeed among SUNY and New York’s most valuable assets.

UAlbany educates more than 17,300 students in hundreds of undergraduate and graduate degree programs that are consistently ranked among the best in the nation. The faculty at UAlbany is made up of scholars and researchers that are truly world class, and the university’s economic impacts are massive.

Since its inception in 2004, CNSE has become an internationally renowned leader and pioneer in nanotechnology education, research, and economic outreach. By leveraging its resources in partnership with business and government, CNSE supports accelerated high technology education and commercialization, and creates jobs and economic growth for nanotechnology-related industries in New York and around the world.

I want to assure you that any change in the operational structure of UAlbany and CNSE would be weighed heavily not only by the university system but by government leaders in order to maintain the institutions’ impeccable service to students, faculty, and staff as well as to the Capital Region and all of New York State.

Thank you again for your input and for your interest in and support of UAlbany.

Sincerely,

Nancy L. Zimpher

Chancellor

I was speaking with a professor, who thought the split was a good thing. Many feel

CSNE is taking away too many resources needed by other depts.

Got the same canned reply.

Note that she refers to each as separate "insitutions".

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding the relationship between the University at Albany and the College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering. Both institutions are indeed among SUNY and New York’s most valuable assets.

I wrote her back to let her know her dissapointing choice of words was not lost on me.

Reading between the lines, it appears that this is a done deal. What a load of crap.

I wish someone would come out and explain how this would actually be a good thing for the University. How is it taking resources away from other departments? And exactly how is adding another bureaucracy, and the millions of dollars that goes with it, an acceptable solution?