UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Nanocollege to split from UAlbany ?

purplenorange

so -- let's be rational. These changes have the greatest chance of success when:

-> They aren't viewed as changes at all, but a reflection of the status quo. Since Nanocollege has been 'operating independently', and differently than other UAlbany colleges, since the Dean is a co-equal with the University President, since the campus is self-contained, etc. this will be presented as a non-change. Or, rather, an administrative change that reflects the underlying reality.

-> There is an existing model to follow, hence the reference to SUNY ESF at Syracuse. Adjoining campuses, shared coursework, even joint commencement and housing. All of the points are easily asked and answered with decades of similar success, and within the SUNY system no less. Likewise for replication of the entire administrative structure -- why ? The SUNY ESF/Syracuse Univ. relationship demonstrates that the cooperating institutions can make optimal use of each other's resources.

Some other comments:

-> If George Phillip told me this was coming a few years ago, you can better believe that President Jones knew about this when he took the position. How could it be otherwise ?

-> Is it a power grab ? Sure, but the power was grabbed over the last few years. This is codification.

-> Alumni donations would be affected, but they are anemic at UAlbany and have probably been dismissed as a consideration.

So, what to do ?

-> Fighting it "head on" is not likely to be successful since, although as alumni we are UAlbany stakeholders, only a large donor would be seriously listened to.

-> Having a voice in shaping the UAlbany relationship to the Nanocollege is likely to be more effective.

-> Seen the broader context, there seems to be an opportunity to shape something unique, not just with the Nanocollege, but also with Albany Med and Albany Law. Could this be used as a stepping stone to a tighter affiliation between these institutes that would strengthen all of them with UAlbany as an anchor ?

Just my take. This still might be killed, but I can't see by whom. Most of the legislature and trustees wouldn't care. As for AAU membership, sure the Nanocollege helps (and it still might depending on the nature of joint research programs, etc.). But Albany attracts $106M according one of the articles. That's well within the range for AAU (above Brown, Brandeis, Rice, Oregon, Iowa State, Missouri) and that's still without any medical school (NIH) funding. So, quite substantial.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give Kalyeros the benefit of the doubt on this one until more details are known for the proposal.

Kalyeros has been very very good to UAlbany including on some of the causes near and dear to our hearts.

THIS!

I think the move is a Cuomo move since he is taking a beating right now. It's a stupid move...that creates MASSIVE overhead and effectively creates two schools next to one another. It makes zero sense.

Looks and smells like Cuomo. The man has his thumb on every aspect on the state and if he can't put his finger print on it, he reinvents it to say that it's his. (It's why the NYTimes had a story on his staff using the word "HISTORICAL" in ever press release even if they weren't. He wants the public to think he is the smartest Gov. ever, when really he just has a great PR staff..or did.)

Interesting thing would be that SUNY has had autonomy as not being under Cuomo so why would they do something if it's his idea? My guess is their funding comes from the state's budget so he holds the purse strings. It's how he gets his way. Not sure even the legislature has figured out a way to work with him.

Would suck for all those at UA who creating this thing, it becomes successful and is taken away. Who knows, as the public we never know the whole story.Hopefully that will come out soon or someone here will talk to someone who knows something at the school to find out the real possibility of it happening.

-> There is an existing model to follow, hence the reference to SUNY ESF at Syracuse. Adjoining campuses, shared coursework, even joint commencement and housing. All of the points are easily asked and answered with decades of similar success, and within the SUNY system no less. Likewise for replication of the entire administrative structure -- why ? The SUNY ESF/Syracuse Univ. relationship demonstrates that the cooperating institutions can make optimal use of each other's resources.

This makes sense as SU isn't a SUNY, and we (w/ SUNY ESF) could have a relationship with a non-SUNY. Just not sure how it makes sense to use that model when it's SUNY to SUNY. So the plan would be to take it away but then still have a relationship as if you're one, but they are both SUNYs. We should be bringing in schools not taking them away. Seems driven by a power grab. Just seems odd. But who knows.

Edited by MsGDG

-> Seen the broader context, there seems to be an opportunity to shape something unique, not just with the Nanocollege, but also with Albany Med and Albany Law. Could this be used as a stepping stone to a tighter affiliation between these institutes that would strengthen all of them with UAlbany as an anchor ?

That would be interesting. Hopefully something to that effect is in the works if the Nano college separation is inevitable.

One of Cuomo's platforms has been school district consolidations, department efficiencies and shrinking government bureaucracy--making New York more business friendly. He has even talked about consolidating SUNY colleges and JR. Colleges. If he strips CNSE from UA he should be declared in the press and otherwise a HYPOCRITE.

I am wondering how Schumer and even Obama feel about a prominent Democrat creating a new entity, rather than consolidation, shrinking and making government more efficient. I know Republicans would have a field day [they want to shrink everything governmental].

Also, other than a power grab, what is this move going to cost and HOW is it helping CNSE grow/make money/etc.

The Syracuse to SUNY ESF example is poor. As others have stated this is SUNY to SUNY not SUNY to private.

Additionally Syracuse was just kicked out of AAU. Syracuse doesn't get the credit for the achievements done at ESF. Why should they? They're DIFFERENT institutions.

This is why a University of Michigan example is better. All University of Michigan colleges benefit from the same brand, the same name recognition, the same university.

We currently have a joint degree program with Albany Law. So what. What has it bought us? Does the University at Albany have a Law School because there is a joint degree program? No!

Edited by SoCal_Dane

I have a reporter at YNN that wants an on camera reaction. I'm in San Diego. Ping me if your available. I need someone ASAP

Guys. I need a name and a phone number. It'll take just a few minutes. Believe me your not going to be able to say more than a few minutes on the air. Just say your disappointed in the change and it will negatively impact the university. Done.

I'd do it myself but I don't think they'll fly to San Diego for a 30 response from an alum.

Ping me

Edited by SoCal_Dane

The point of the Syracuse / ESF is not that it's a model we should follow, it's that it will be the model that the proponents of this split will cite as their operational example. They will also claim that the schools have been operating this way in "all but name", so let's make it official. Like the separated married couple finally, after years, getting a divorce. You may prefer the Michigan model -- great, when you are on the board of trustees be sure to bring it up. The ESF model is what is being used in conversation, so unless there's something critically wrong with it, expect to hear more about it. And the *point* of them using this model is to show how a specialized college and major university, with adjoining campuses, can have a strong symbiotic relationship. That Syracuse is private is immaterial to the conversation. It should also be noted that SUNY Upstate Medical Center is *another* quasi-example, having been purchased by the State from Syracuse University, and also adjoins the campus.

We either have a voice in shaping this, or we choose not to. I don't think that the alumni can stop this from happening, and calling Cuomo a hypocrite (a novel accusation for a politician), saying the college Dean is making a power grab (another shocker), fails to make a compelling case.

If AAU themselves came to SUNY and said this would hurt UAlbany's chances of admission, then, wow - that would be something. But (a) they won't, and (B) they *have* said they significantly discount the industrial funding base when considering UAlbany and focus on federal research dollars. Why ? They claim the peer review process is a more honest assessment of the quality of research than industrial dollars, and, while you can quibble with it, at least this places universities on somewhat equal footing. Good news for UAlbany, by this metric (excluding nano funding) it's a top 100 and ahead of many AAU schools and some Ivy's (like Brown) *WITHOUT* Nano. The problem for UAlbany is not research dollars, and they may be on the path for AAU in either case. Only AAU can provide guidance.

Second, what's in it for Nano to stay part of UAlbany ? Why did they split administratively in the first place with Alan reporting to the chancellor ? Why do they have their own budgets ? Own admission ? These are the points to be made in terms of re-consolidation. A few budget $$ won't go very far in a campus that's awash in money. They are a net-contributor to the coffers.

So that's my take. We can kick and scream, or have a constructive voice in the future. I would vote for the latter and make sure that the relationship is one of unity in all-but-name.

The Nano College has undergraduate students. What happens to them? Will they have their own English, history and other Gen Ed classes? Do they cancel the BS program?

I kind of saw this coming. What concerned me, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that undergraduate students at UAlbany have been unable to take classes in the CNSE unless they are formally admitted to that College (not even a, e.g., Nanotech 101). Seems divisive and exclusionary to me.

Edited by UA_MA_2000

That Syracuse is private is immaterial to the conversation.

Second, what's in it for Nano to stay part of UAlbany ?

I disagree, but that's just my opinion I think Government to Government is very different than Government and Private. Especially in the whole consolidation world NYS Govt is living in now. There are very specific differences between the two.

Also I understand your 'what's in it for Nano'... but again they're a government entity, it's not like they're a private company or private school that can just go where ever they want if they think they're getting 'too cool for school', as if they aren't bound by being a govt entity. Just a very odd argument for a public school to be having. Again, just my two cents which really means nothing :)

I've spent the better part of two work days on this topic when I should be doing other things. I've called every media outlet and spoke to reporters from a several sources. I've done all that one man who lives in California and graduated there 20 years can do. I'm comfortable with my actions to avoid the ax.

I leave it to others to quitely accept our fate. My final thought is that this will significantly hamper our ability to compete with our fellow SUNY Centers and top 100 state universities. Stony Brook and Buffalo are on the rise. UAlbany and Bingo are trapped in a malaise that they can't possibly exit.

Nano U, big questions - T-U editorial

That is probably the most reasoned TU editorial I've ever read regarding UAlbany.

The question of who benefits from a split off is the biggest one that I cannot wrap my head around. I really don't know what anyone gains from taking Nano out fom "under" UA when its already 90% out.

Is there some stigma with being associated with UAlbany in the Nano world that we don't know about?