UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has to do with decades-long trends of coaches taking increasing control of the game (after all, their jobs are on the line). Plus in college the QB may not have the experience to read the def. and call audibles himself, and that takes time too.

As for the spread offense, rules have changed and you have to take advantage when you can open the offense up. But there's a time for everything, and I hate the deep handoff in short-yardage - there won't be a hole for the back to read, just get to the line quick and push.

We tailgate in 33 - 35, so stop over next time.

I think I did stop by. Were you with Bob? If so, I said hello to you guys and chatted with Bob for a little bit.

I know the reasons for why teams are moving to this style of offense but that doesn't mean I need to like it. :) Use it hear and there if you want but it is basically 90% of our offense now. Also, the audibles according to the defensive setup obviously didn't work very well. hehe

Made it to the game - first time i've had a chance to walk around the campus in many years.

1. I think #1 was the best player on the field (think he is a safety). He flew to the ball and made plays. He had a personal foul called on him in overtime but I think it was a clean hit.

2. On the first field goal attempt, our kicker just wasn't prepared. He was just standing on the sideline when the team was lining up for the field goal - it wasn't like anyone had to tell him anything - he appeared to just realize what was happening and ran out there at the last second...

3. There were several times in the first half where Fiacchi just refused to run the ball. He had a lot of space and just wouldn't run. He did run a few times in the second half but he needs to run for the first down when he has space.

4. When the Rhode Island kicker hit the scoreboard and I saw the ball bounce off, my first thought was that the net needs to be up permanently. You can't risk something that expensive - too easy to forget to raise the net. (I didn't notice any kicks hitting it at halftime, just once during the game).

5. The fumbled punt was bad (I think it was #86). Gave Rhode Island good field position and they scored a TD.

6. Tried to buy a sweatshirt before the game - stood on line for a long time and when i got to the counter, they spent 10 minutes sorting through boxes trying to find the right size (large), but couldn't find it in the style that I wanted. Also, tried to get a drink at halftime but the lines were too long. They will improve those things.

7.There is a concession stand on the berm but they only sold a combo for $8. Couldn't just buy a drink.

8. Missed the marching band. I was in the concession line and saw them walking onto the field. I looked back less than 10 minutes later and they were gone. They couldn't have played more than one or two songs.

9. Good tribute to Coach Ford on the video board before the game.

Anyway, it was a good weekend in Albany. Let's hope the team continues to improve and the stadium stays filled.

Edited by reeder

Made it to the game - first time i've had a chance to walk around the campus in many years.

1. I think #1 was the best player on the field (think he is a safety). He flew to the ball and made plays. He had a personal foul called on him in overtime but I think it was a clean hit.

2. On the first field goal attempt, our kicker just wasn't prepared. He was just standing on the sideline when the team was lining up for the field goal - it wasn't like anyone had to tell him anything - he appeared to just realize what was happening and ran out there at the last second...

3. There were several times in the first half where Fiacchi just refused to run the ball. He had a lot of space and just wouldn't run. He did run a few times in the second half but he needs to run for the first down when he has space.

4. When the Rhode Island kicker hit the scoreboard and I saw the ball bounce off, my first thought was that the net needs to be up permanently. You can't risk something that expensive - too easy to forget to raise the net. (I didn't notice any kicks hitting it at halftime, just once during the game).

5. The fumbled punt was bad (I think it was #86). Gave Rhode Island good field position and they scored a TD.

6. Tried to buy a sweatshirt before the game - stood on line for a long time and when i got to the counter, they spent 10 minutes sorting through boxes trying to find the right size (large), but couldn't find it in the style that I wanted. Also, tried to get a drink at halftime but the lines were too long. They will improve those things.

7.There is a concession stand on the berm but they only sold a combo for $8. Couldn't just buy a drink.

8. Missed the marching band. I was in the concession line and saw them walking onto the field. I looked back less than 10 minutes later and they were gone. They couldn't have played more than one or two songs.

Anyway, it was a good weekend in Albany. Let's hope the team continues to improve and the stadium stays filled.

That hit was definitely a foul. I thought the same as you watching the actual play and the first review angle (from the vantage point of the home stands). But when they showed the end zone angle, it was absolutely without a doubt helmet to helmet. Hit him right in the ear hole (lol).

The fumbled punt was the biggest mistake of all as that is the ONLY mistake that DIRECTLY result in RI points. Without that, we would have won the game in regulation, 13-6.

Band only played one song...if you want to call it a song. It was very quiet and was a HORRIBLE choice for a song (Skyfall by Adele - the James Bond theme).

And I agree on the tribute...I don't know if I'll get laughed at for this...but I actually got a little moist around the eyes watching that. That man put his heart and soul into this university and it's football program. I was very proud to be a UAlbany student and future Alum on saturday.

Edited by Ilko

The personal foul in OVERTIME was complete BS. Not the time to call a questionable foul. As for the marching band, it takes balls to do what they did. It will only get better and better. Great stadium, great atmosphere. Let's hope the attendance numbers stay high all year. PROMOTE!

The personal foul was under the new "targeting" rules. Its a dumb rule, IMO, but it was called according to the book.

The rule is the problem. Not the call in particular.

Its football. Put your big boy pants on. The RB put his head down and the defender smacked him in the ear hole. Good view of it on the jumbotron.