UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

After watching the kicker at Colgate, I thought we were ok, but not quite sure now. Agree on marching band selection, totally wrong. I couldn't understand why we didn't call TO for our first FG attempt. We used up most of play clock before the FG unit went on field. the kicker was at the far end of bench ahd got there late. The whole thing was rushed. I think we needed to run more. It takes some reps to get a rhythm going. Thought Fiacchi should have run a few more times when receivers were covered. Also thought he passed up some easy yards on some throws where the TE was open shorter. As I'm an old man now, I have a lot of empathy for the kicker. Had to be tough to sleep last night.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Haggyland. I love all the revenue streams for UA Athletics.

1) Parking

2) More seating

3) Higher end seating (more $)

4) Beer and concessions with huge demand

5) New in stadium store selling apparel

6) Multiple naming rights options

7) Outside event possibilities

11,000 fans eat and drink a lot. Given a decent opportunity they'll spend a lot.

The last USA Today had us at $15M. I wouldn't be surprised if the stadium and these new or expanded revenue streams pushes that to $17M.

My take on the whole thing. I brought up 7 alums and the first thing they said to me was something along the lines of, "Wow, look at that stadium!!!!" "I thought we would be the only ones tailgating." "This is like a real college football game!" Felt great since I've been trying to get them all to follow the teams more and this will definitely help. they are already asking me when the next trip can be.

Tailgating was awesome. I want to apologize to the person with parking spot #13 in the SEFCU lot, if you are out there. We were not told they were reserved when we got there at 3pm and paid our $20 but no one ever showed up or if they did they parked elsewhere.

As for the game, I can't stand the read option/shotgun/wildcat/spread offense. I think I've made that pretty clear on this site so I won't go too much into it. I just can't stand it. I can't stand the setup and fake the snap and everyone stand up and look to the sideline for the play. IT'S HORRIBLE!

End of regulation showed the stupidity of it. Changing QBs, changing plays, faking snaps, taking too much time. Can't stand it. Hate it. OK, enough of that.

We need a new kicker. How could the kicker be the last person on the field for a FG try???? what was he doing over there on the opposite side of the sideline???

I loved the student turnout on the berm. Too bad 80% of them left at halftime. I think the cold and the poor performance caused that.

I have to say though, the whole experience was awesome. The place is so nice, the fans were great, the tailgate was fun, the beer garden was great. I was also in Section 205 and those seats are awesome. Great view. Too bad the outcome wasn't as good.

As for the game, I can't stand the read option/shotgun/wildcat/spread offense. I think I've made that pretty clear on this site so I won't go too much into it. I just can't stand it. I can't stand the setup and fake the snap and everyone stand up and look to the sideline for the play. IT'S HORRIBLE!

As it was explained to me during the game (this was my first live football game ever although I've been following the NFL and some college since the late 90's - so I don't know/notice some things on TV)...the reason why they stand up (always around the 15 second mark of the play clock) to look for a new call is because the OC is changing the play on the defense. He wants to see what defense is on the field before he makes the actual play call. The one they start with out of the huddle isn't always the right one I guess.

Doesn't have to do with the wildcat as they did it on normal formations too. It makes sense, wait the clock down and then audible causing the defense (hopefully) to get confused and let up a big play. They did do it quite a bit though which got a little annoying, I'll give you that.

Forgot one thing. Was President Jones a little tipsy? He sounded like he was especially when he said "Welcome to Bob Field!"

Yeah, he didn't sound eloquent to me lol.

Edited by Ilko

Anybody know who matched up against #10 for URI? That kid was involved in almost every defensive play, as his stats indicate:

17 tackles: 8 solo, 9 assisted.

1.5 tackles for loss.

0.5 sacks.

2 passes broken up.

I don't think I have access to a replay of the game (not that I am dying to relive it!)

As it was explained to me during the game (this was my first live football game ever although I've been following the NFL and some college since the late 90's - so I don't know/notice some things on TV)...the reason why they stand up (always around the 15 second mark of the play clock) to look for a new call is because the OC is changing the play on the defense. He wants to see what defense is on the field before he makes the actual play call. The one they start with out of the huddle isn't always the right one I guess.

Doesn't have to do with the wildcat as they did it on normal formations too. It makes sense, wait the clock down and then audible causing the defense (hopefully) to get confused and let up a big play. They did do it quite a bit though which got a little annoying, I'll give you that.

I understand that but they've never needed to do that before and were very successful. I see it all over college football now and some in the NFL and I can't stand it. What was wrong with the good old QB behind center with fullback and tailback? I can't stand these new offenses. Also, when Meake comes in the game everyone knows what one of three plays they are running. I know he had some success which is great but it's a pigeon hole if you ask me.

also, I know a good kicker who is leading his div 3 conference in kickoffs and has a solid FG%. Great kid too. He was recruited to D1 out of high school but even though he showed well on recruiting trips, teams thought he was too small. I've never heard of a kicker being too small as long as he can make the kicks.

To me...it was Timmins and #92 (I think Timmins is 96) who did all the damage. They were destroying our line and allowing the linebackers and safetys to get into everything.

Yeah, my eye was on #92; I think he blocked both field goals and forced a fumble.

My buddy was keying on #10, saying he was on or near the ball every play.

also, I know a good kicker who is leading his div 3 conference in kickoffs and has a solid FG%. Great kid too. He was recruited to D1 out of high school but even though he showed well on recruiting trips, teams thought he was too small. I've never heard of a kicker being too small as long as he can make the kicks.

Don't we have the number one prep kicker for two years ago redshirting this season?

I understand that but they've never needed to do that before and were very successful. I see it all over college football now and some in the NFL and I can't stand it. What was wrong with the good old QB behind center with fullback and tailback? I can't stand these new offenses. Also, when Meake comes in the game everyone knows what one of three plays they are running. I know he had some success which is great but it's a pigeon hole if you ask me.

Has to do with decades-long trends of coaches taking increasing control of the game (after all, their jobs are on the line). Plus in college the QB may not have the experience to read the def. and call audibles himself, and that takes time too.

As for the spread offense, rules have changed and you have to take advantage when you can open the offense up. But there's a time for everything, and I hate the deep handoff in short-yardage - there won't be a hole for the back to read, just get to the line quick and push.

We tailgate in 33 - 35, so stop over next time.