UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Football, money and conferences

Anyone else read this with interest? http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/01/business/the-big-tens-bigger-footprint.html?ref=sports? "A year ago, the Rutgers athletic department’s deficit was nearly $28 million, bringing the hole it has dug since 2005 to $190 million. To offset the losses, student fees have been raised and state funds reallocated. Last summer, Maryland’s athletic department cut seven varsity sports in trying to patch a $21 million shortfall." Does the CAA have revenue to share? Anyone believe NYgov. will reallocate funds to cover an athletics deficit? Goodbye Men's T&F and Baseball - 5 years tops.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else read this with interest? http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/01/business/the-big-tens-bigger-footprint.html?ref=sports? "A year ago, the Rutgers athletic department’s deficit was nearly $28 million, bringing the hole it has dug since 2005 to $190 million. To offset the losses, student fees have been raised and state funds reallocated. Last summer, Maryland’s athletic department cut seven varsity sports in trying to patch a $21 million shortfall." Does the CAA have revenue to share? Anyone believe NYgov. will reallocate funds to cover an athletics deficit? Goodbye Men's T&F and Baseball - 5 years tops.

Honestly, I'm surprised we still have baseball.

Track and Field is safe. The investment in facilities is too great to slash it.

I would get rid of soccer before baseball. It still is America's sport and has been much more competitive than soccer over the DI years (probably even longer). Anyone know how many schollies baseball vs soccer; and relative budgets. Get rid of women's soccer too and save even more!

Cutting any women's sports is a non-starter. That only exacerbates the Title IX issue that having full scholarship football creates.

I would think baseball and men's soccer would be the first to go if anything had to go. Morbid thinking though. Lets hope we keep filling the stadium and using that additional revenue to offset the increased costs.

I would get rid of soccer before baseball. It still is America's sport and has been much more competitive than soccer over the DI years (probably even longer). Anyone know how many schollies baseball vs soccer; and relative budgets. Get rid of women's soccer too and save even more!

Cutting any women's sports is a non-starter. That only exacerbates the Title IX issue that having full scholarship football creates.

I would think baseball and men's soccer would be the first to go if anything had to go. Morbid thinking though. Lets hope we keep filling the stadium and using that additional revenue to offset the increased costs.

If we cut BOTH men's and women's soccer wouldn't that be a wash as far as Title IX is concerned? And would save about 20 schollies plus expenses; more overall savings than just cutting baseball??

If we cut BOTH men's and women's soccer wouldn't that be a wash as far as Title IX is concerned? And would save about 20 schollies plus expenses; more overall savings than just cutting baseball??

Good point on the wash.

Not going to happen. The stadium was built on the premise of it being a multisport facility.

Not going to happen. The stadium was built on the premise of it being a multisport facility.

I'm not sure that will matter 2-3 years from now. Plus lets play 2 or 3 lacrosse games on it a year and it's still multi-sport.

I'm not advocating for it. More sports the better as long as we're not sacrificing on our bread and butter sports (basketball, football, lacrosse and T&F).

I'm not sure that will matter 2-3 years from now. Plus lets play 2 or 3 lacrosse games on it a year and it's still multi-sport.

I'm not advocating for it. More sports the better as long as we're not sacrificing on our bread and butter sports (basketball, football, lacrosse and T&F).

Agreed. Those four are our money makers (especially Men's BB and FB).

Other then football and basketball, I would suggest that none of the other sports at UA are money makers. You can talk about baseball, but there are many other teams at UA that go farther and for much longer time periods. I guess because of Title IX no one here would suggest softball or volleyball. At least with sports like baseball a few of the trips have a paycheck attached to it. I realize that most of the folks that come onto this site are football and basketball fans…I get that. However, no sport is worth sacrificing. I think what most of you forget about is the commitment that those in the other sports bring to the table. In sports like baseball and softball, these student athletes spend a great deal of time on the road during the early season and have to work incredibly hard when they are in town catching up. I would ask you all not to advocate the cutting of any sport….its just not right to the student athletes!

Other then football and basketball, I would suggest that none of the other sports at UA are money makers. You can talk about baseball, but there are many other teams at UA that go farther and for much longer time periods. I guess because of Title IX no one here would suggest softball or volleyball. At least with sports like baseball a few of the trips have a paycheck attached to it. I realize that most of the folks that come onto this site are football and basketball fans…I get that. However, no sport is worth sacrificing. I think what most of you forget about is the commitment that those in the other sports bring to the table. In sports like baseball and softball, these student athletes spend a great deal of time on the road during the early season and have to work incredibly hard when they are in town catching up. I would ask you all not to advocate the cutting of any sport….its just not right to the student athletes!

Agreed as long as the growth of the money makers isn't hindered to keep other programs going...no one is saying throw the existing students out...keep your commitments to the students already here if the school makes such a decision but let the lesser desirable programs fall away...again, if that is the decision or if SOMETHING has to give.

We as an institution aren't obligated to play every sport...in a perfect world this would never come up and all the programs would be fully funded. We don't live in such a world though...M/W hoops, Lacrosse and Football are the main staples...it's just the reality.

Edited by Clickclack

Click…I agree and yes, it is reality. The university does have a commitment to these athletes. I am just glad it is not the university talking about this instead of the administration. For some reason, baseball always is on the radar of folks on this site. Thats funny to me considering there is a lot of baseball played in and around the capital district. I could understand if all UA had was something a little better in talent then a club team. Thats just not the case and the program has been recognized by Baseball America for their recruiting. The coaching staff is working as hard as ever to bring winning D-1 baseball to the area. All I can say is go Danes!

Click…I agree and yes, it is reality. The university does have a commitment to these athletes. I am just glad it is not the university talking about this instead of the administration. For some reason, baseball always is on the radar of folks on this site. Thats funny to me considering there is a lot of baseball played in and around the capital district. I could understand if all UA had was something a little better in talent then a club team. Thats just not the case and the program has been recognized by Baseball America for their recruiting. The coaching staff is working as hard as ever to bring winning D-1 baseball to the area. All I can say is go Danes!

Baseball is targeted in conversation because (1) it's the northeast and (2) it's the lowest profile men's sport we have left.

If we stil had wrestling or swimming or golf we'd be talking about that instead. But hose were already victims of Title IX (at least wrestling was).

Are we anticipating a shortfall in covering expenses? What has changed? An addition of 20+ schollies for football?

All that is... is a free education for the athletes. We're not adding expense, are we? We're certainly going to be pulling in lots more revenue with our stadium, guaranteed. Soon, money games. What's all the fuss.