UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Albany Law

Current students won't see the benefits from this, and it's reasonable they'd be opposed however short sighted -- future generations will get the same degree at 1/2 to 1/4 of the cost, plus better options to combine with coursework and faculty from UA. They probably see the 'oldest independent law school' as a selling point. If the law school improves in status under UA (which it ought to - at least up from the third tier), they worry they will be seen as the last desperate class.

I feel badly for these kids - unless they have the wealth to fund this, their career prospects aren't bright (not just Albany Law, but from all except the top tier law schools at present).

I question whether this makes sense for U-Albany - why take on a sinking ship. But with government funding, a 'second' NYS law school in a good geography, coupling with a top-tier public policy school (Rockefeller) and a second-tier business school, this could make all the world of sense in the long run. It will take substantial investment by the State and by UA to make this sing. Candidly I don't think the current Albany Law faculty are in the same league as, say, the Rockefeller or Business School. And it's probably been a while since they've attracted top-tier junior faculty -- that has to change.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Current students won't see the benefits from this, and it's reasonable they'd be opposed however short sighted -- future generations will get the same degree at 1/2 to 1/4 of the cost, plus better options to combine with coursework and faculty from UA. They probably see the 'oldest independent law school' as a selling point. If the law school improves in status under UA (which it ought to - at least up from the third tier), they worry they will be seen as the last desperate class.

I feel badly for these kids - unless they have the wealth to fund this, their career prospects aren't bright (not just Albany Law, but from all except the top tier law schools at present).

I question whether this makes sense for U-Albany - why take on a sinking ship. But with government funding, a 'second' NYS law school in a good geography, coupling with a top-tier public policy school (Rockefeller) and a second-tier business school, this could make all the world of sense in the long run. It will take substantial investment by the State and by UA to make this sing. Candidly I don't think the current Albany Law faculty are in the same league as, say, the Rockefeller or Business School. And it's probably been a while since they've attracted top-tier junior faculty -- that has to change.

I have zero sympathy for people that go to law school and end up with unmanageable debt. I chose to go to Albany law over much higher ranked schools because of a scholarship. Best business decision I ever made.

People who aren't offered financial assistance from a lower tier law school in this market should have zero expectation of it paying off financially and should really reconsider their choice. I tell this to any student that asks me about law school.

This is very confusing. I doubt there is a connection between the Dean resigning and the discussions between Albany Law and UAlbany.

If Governor Cuomo wants to have another public law school in New York, Albany Law would be a good choice for a number of reasons. However, Albany Law could become a public law school without affiliating with UAlbany.

I am uncertain why the two are being tied together.

As a graduate of both schools I have some fairly strong opinions. Among them is that I don't think UAlbany criminal law professors would be very good at teaching law students. It is an entirely different approach.

This is very confusing. I doubt there is a connection between the Dean resigning and the discussions between Albany Law and UAlbany.

If Governor Cuomo wants to have another public law school in New York, Albany Law would be a good choice for a number of reasons. However, Albany Law could become a public law school without affiliating with UAlbany.

I am uncertain why the two are being tied together.

As a graduate of both schools I have some fairly strong opinions. Among them is that I don't think UAlbany criminal law professors would be very good at teaching law students. It is an entirely different approach.

I don't think anyone is saying the current professors would be dropped and replcaed with UA professors (althought I'd gladly put James Acker up against any Crim law professor at Albany Law)..

And I don't see any way at all for Albany Law to become a public law school without affiliation with UAlbany.

I don't know acker. Has he ever prosecuted a murderer or a drug dealer? Has he ever defended a death penalty case?

I don't see why Albany Law School needs UAlbany to become a public law school.

Danefan, please explain. I think UAlbany needs Albany Law a lot more than Albany Law needs UAlbany.

I think UAlbany needs Albany Law a lot more than Albany Law needs UAlbany.

From an outsider's point of view..it would seem to be quite the opposite. Would a professional school be a great addition to UAlbany? I think so, yes. But UAlbany isn't the school in an unsustainable downward spiral..both in terms of finances and enrollment.

Why does Albany Law School need UAlbany to become a public law school? It could easily become a public school without any affiliation with UAlbany. Albany Law will easily survive the current economic "crisis". Albany law could easily associate with Stony Brook, Binghamton or RPI.

I don't know acker. Has he ever prosecuted a murderer or a drug dealer? Has he ever defended a death penalty case?

Danefan, please explain. I think UAlbany needs Albany Law a lot more than Albany Law needs UAlbany.

Clearly, as their enrollment continues to decline...at this rate 10 years from now UA will be here the same if not better, can you say the same about Albany Law? Sure, Albany Law could go an affiliate with someone else but the bottom line is Albany Law needs savings. You can thumb your nose all you want but the bottom line is, who else is even in conversation with them?

Edited by Clickclack

Why does Albany Law School need UAlbany to become a public law school? It could easily become a public school without any affiliation with UAlbany. Albany Law will easily survive the current economic "crisis". Albany law could easily associate with Stony Brook, Binghamton or RPI.

Explain how Albany Law could easily become public? Also why would they affiliate with SB or Bing rather than UA? That makes no sense.

Albany Law does not need to affiliate with anyone. It will survive and do fine just as it always has. It will continue to produce attorneys who will lead private and public entities. As far as I know UAlbany initiated the conversation with Albany Law.

If Govenor Cuomo wants another public law school he can make it happen without any affiliation. Some legislation, a few agreements and Albany Law becomes a public school.

Penn State affiliated with Dickinson School of Law. They are separated by 200 miles. Binghamton has publicly sought a law school component for a long time. Why couldn't that happen?

The idea of a stand alone public law school isn't hard to imagine. Why affiliate it with any of the university centers? That just insures that Stony Brook will get a medical school and Binghamton will get something else.

Albany Law will continue to operate autonomously with a lot of public funding.

The devil is always in the detail. I actually think this could be a very good development for both institutions. I have just looked at Professor Acker's credentials. He is a very impressive man. But, from what I can see he has never represented a client. The idea that he is going to train lawyers to represent people who are actually prosecuting or defending accused people is preposterous. Would you let a doctor who did population studies but never treated a patient treat you for cancer?

Albany Law has gotten to far away from what once made it one of the best law schools in the nation. It has become controlled by academics and not accomplished lawyers. It needs to return to what made it successful, producing very smart, very good lawyers.

First, Albany Law is in survival mode, as are many law schools right now. This is a win-win for the school.

Second, most law professors, much like B-school professors are theoretical and aren't exactly people I would want to practice law. Sure, there are a handful of GREAT practicing attorneys who teach, however they are the exception, not the rule.