UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Baker Transfering

16/17 players in hand now! - Peters (Sr) , Rowley (Sr), Ennema (SR), Stire (Jr) , Cremo (Soph) and Charles (Sr)

Never say never, best example of this is Lillis but...I'm nto seeing a whole lot of first bananas there. Maybe Cremo but he'll be an underclassmen, certainly he's got a lot of hype. They should have TONS of minutes to offer potential 4 year kids coming in as soon as after next year and that may be a strong draw for some kids. I would expect a good deal of 4 year kids in the next class. This is why the Baker thing really stings, he was supposed to be part of that core going forward after this year.

We can't talk about 16/17 without pointing out that we still have 'ships for next year, hopefully one of those will go to develop an impact four year kid.

When we've been really good, we've been a team built around a core of four year kids.

Edited by Clickclack

Rowley, Ennemma, Stire and Cremo are a core of 4 year players - who knows how they will develop in two years.

We still have to see how the roster is filled out for 15/16 as well as 16/17.

I don't worry too much about 16/17 I'm more concerned with 15/16!

I have to say that these latest developments have been disturbing and I am really curious as to the real reason behind these moves. I understand Twyman and Wells - but hope that we get some real answers about Baker and McKay. There was a strong need for McKay and the opportunity was there for playing time. Perhaps it was as simple as the fact that he was very close with the Aussies on the EWU team and not so much with our guys - who knows, but it certainly is a dramatic change in schools and geographic zones. As for Baker, I honestly think he was good enough to possibly get into the starting rotation next year(certainly no hard and fast rule that the seniors get priority over the underclassmen) - either way he would have gotten a decent amount of playing time on a very good team and then have 2 years left to really be a large cog in the wheel. Now if he stays at the same DI level, he has to sit out next year - which puts him exactly where he would have been if he had stayed.

Which brings us to the question raised earlier : does any of this this have anything to do with Coach's status? why are we hearing nothing on that front? why has nothing been finalized? an unsettled situation can't be good for recruiting.

I have to say that these latest developments have been disturbing and I am really curious as to the real reason behind these moves. I understand Twyman and Wells - but hope that we get some real answers about Baker and McKay. There was a strong need for McKay and the opportunity was there for playing time. Perhaps it was as simple as the fact that he was very close with the Aussies on the EWU team and not so much with our guys - who knows, but it certainly is a dramatic change in schools and geographic zones. As for Baker, I honestly think he was good enough to possibly get into the starting rotation next year(certainly no hard and fast rule that the seniors get priority over the underclassmen) - either way he would have gotten a decent amount of playing time on a very good team and then have 2 years left to really be a large cog in the wheel. Now if he stays at the same DI level, he has to sit out next year - which puts him exactly where he would have been if he had stayed.

Which brings us to the question raised earlier : does any of this this have anything to do with Coach's status? why are we hearing nothing on that front? why has nothing been finalized? an unsettled situation can't be good for recruiting.

If memory serves, past contract negotiations have been drawn out when they added more years. I believe at least once we heard in August. At this point going into May, I think most of the jobs are filled so I doubt that's any consideration. As it is, even with no new contract he still have 3 years I believe.

The only transfer that is really bothering me is Baker and to a lesser extent McKay, I don't think it's a guarantee that Geremy would have been in a playing rotation next year. The rest were probably pretty far down on the pecking order.

Edited by Clickclack

Brown didn't sign his last extension till August.

Brown didn't sign his last extension till August.

Operative word being EXTENSION...guy still has three years on his current deal so I'm not sure where this fear of kids leaving because he's (Brown) not locked and loaded long term doesn't compute with me.

The bolded statement is why I think he really left because he wants to be closer to home so his family cna come to more games and experience his basketball career. Now if he ends up in the south somewhere or out west then I will question this a little more.

I don't think Baker's situation had anything to do with CB's status. I just think he realized he wouldn't get a significant upgrade in minutes until his junior year and that wasn't okay with him - right or wrong.

He potentially wants to be closer than home, and face it - Albany isn't for everyone. Brutal winters. I'm sure being from MN he is familiar with it, but students from NYC often have a hard time adjusting to Albany, so to each their own. There's always additional factors - loved ones, bf/gfs, love interests that play a role that we aren't normally aware of.

McKay's situation is different. Perhaps he realized that after next year, Pete won't be there and he will be the only Aussie. Plus, it is REALLY far from Australia. Couple that in with a few factors and who knows.

I think this year we will be very good. Same team minus Sam (who was a horse for us), but with an extra year of rhythm and development. It's the following year I'm very concerned about. Look at last year for example, Sam/Pete were scoring. They continued that in the following year. As a team we have struggled to score - it's been our biggest challenge over the last 8-10 years. Our defense has always been fairly solid, but offense has been a challenge. Remove Sanders, Pete, and Singletary from the mix and who will score? While I hope Cremo is a stud, it's a huge question mark.

I'd be more concerned with the transfers if it was something unique to the program and/or Coach Brown. It's not fun..but it's pervasive throughout DI men's basketball. Goodman's ESPN list has nearly 500 players transferring already.

The overwhelming majority of our transfers end up at a lower-level..suggesting playing time was the main issue. The outliers (ex. Baker and Raffa) have tended to be offensive-minded players who seem (my speculation) to want a much bigger role and want it now. That's been infrequent and probably isn't too surprising under a coach who focuses on defense and controlling tempo. And I think Coach Brown has admitted he's tough to play for..not everyone can handle that.

I'd be more concerned with the transfers if it was something unique to the program and/or Coach Brown. It's not fun..but it's pervasive throughout DI men's basketball. Goodman's ESPN list has nearly 500 players transferring already.

The overwhelming majority of our transfers end up at a lower-level..suggesting playing time was the main issue. The outliers (ex. Baker and Raffa) have tended to be offensive-minded players who seem (my speculation) to want a much bigger role and want it now. That's been infrequent and probably isn't too surprising under a coach who focuses on defense and controlling tempo. And I think Coach Brown has admitted he's tough to play for..not everyone can handle that.

Very true. From what I've seen from Baker at UA, and also from highlight reels, he's run and gun - pull the trigger at will. Not the way it is necessarily in D1, especially not UA.

Edited by justdrastik1

Could be in for a tough 16-17 season!

A lot can happen between now and then but...yeah, at this point in time not sure how steep the cliff is going to be after next year. There is very little 4 year core talent being developed. Baker was a pretty big loss in that regard.

I'm not as worried about 16-17 even without new additions. If our starting five is Tre Green (assuming he stays) Cremo, Dallas, Mike Rowley and Richard Peters I'll take that.