UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Meet & Greet Oct 16th / P&G Scrimmage Oct 17th

MRSGDG

Hasn't Purifoy choked in the last few AE tournaments at the end of games with missed fts and shots? I don't remember him being a major factor in any game of consequence lately but maybe I'm just blind or forgetful. Not saying he's not good, but I wouldn't worry about him. Shut down Warney and do the best you can with everyone else. Purifoy won't beat us himself, Warney can.

Edited by Ilko

Just my opinion:

The perimeter is manned by three All Conference types who should each play approximately 30 minutes a game that doesn't leave much time to divide between Jamir, Cremo and Nicholls.

Nicholls is a PG - The problem I see for Nichols is the when Evan is off the court Peter will probably go to the point.

Jamir is a 2 or 3

Cremo probably can play 1, 2 or 3

The problem with the P & G scrimmage is that the vets don't always go at their max as they have little to prove.

The team probably practiced hard during the day and some are tired and some are banged up the scrimmage is more for the fans then for the team.

From what I have read and heard Dallas, Chas Brown and of course Travis Charles have been banged up. I was hoping to get a look at Travis as CB said offensively he's our best front court scorer.

What I did see and liked was that it seemed everyone was willing and capable of making the extra pass.

• Like 1

This team should be able to win 20 games and be top 2 in the conference. We have to be the favorites to go to the championship game again, but not necessarily win it.

Hopefully you're right but our offense ran through Sam..and Evan, Ray and Peter although great players will have to work with whatever new offense scheme Brown comes up with. I'm assuming the scheme has to be different since we don't have a player like Sam anymore. I'm def excited should be a fun season!

Edit: wanted to add that Evan and Ray picked up D1 much better than other JUCO players, hopefully they can adjust if Will has to change his scheme. (That's what I meant)

Edited by MsGDG
  • Like 1

llko - Pureifoy scored 38 pts total in the last 2 games we played SBU one our only AE loss and one a Hooley 3 pointer for a 1 pt win in the Championship game.

I think we should worry about him and respect him!!!!

Okay, I just took a look at the stat sheets...

In the last two AE Championship games, this is his average line:

37.5 MPG

44% FG

46% 3PT

57% FT

4 RPG

1.5 APG

2 SPG

4.5 TPG

3 PFG

18 PPG

IMO, I'd hardly call him a killer. That's why I said shut down Warney, make that the priority. If Purifoy gets his, he gets his...but he's less likely to dominate than Warney. Warney can kill you in many ways...getting your bigs in FT, getting and-1's in the process, high percentage shots, etc. etc. As for Purifoy, I was right, he misses FT's in pressure situations and his A/T ratio is HORRIFIC for a starting PG...not to mention supposedly the best PG in the conference. I'd take Evan over him ALL DAY and twice on Sunday. Purifoy can shoot though...

Edited by Ilko

At last year's scrimmage I remember seeing a couple of our guards and thinking they were a notch below the rest of the group. I didn't really get that same impression this year. The freshman will struggle this year at times but you can tell the talent level has risen.

The guy I liked that no one really talked about is Greg Stire. He's not fancy but he does the dirty work and is probably the only one of our post guys who plays with an edge

At last year's scrimmage I remember seeing a couple of our guards and thinking they were a notch below the rest of the group. I didn't really get that same impression this year. The freshman will struggle this year at times but you can tell the talent level has risen.

The guy I liked that no one really talked about is Greg Stire. He's not fancy but he does the dirty work and is probably the only one of our post guys who plays with an edge

I called him a poorman's Sam. Very consistent down low, good footwork. Not as crafty as Sam, but very tough just like him. I am definitely a fan of Stire.

• Like 1

BTW-we will not shut down Warney...our key is to try to take out Purifoy first...he runs the show...Warney will get his without a doubt..he is a beast....Purifoy we need to contain big time...

Listen, if they don't go dancing this year, there is something wrong with them. That team with Walker and Woohouse has all the pieces, no excuses. They will take a step back next year.

Edited by Clickclack

Man I missed basketball talk :). So happy the season is pretty much upon us.

Puriefoy hit two big time 3's in the second half last year in the finals that could've put us away.

But they didn't. Because he missed gimme FT's, which is my point. He will get his, of course, he's a good player. But I worry less about him (especially since I think Evan is on his level) than I would about Warney destroying our entire big man core.

BTW-we will not shut down Warney...our key is to try to take out Purifoy first...he runs the show...Warney will get his without a doubt..he is a beast....Purifoy we need to contain big time...

I guess we can agree to disagree. I'd rather give Purifoy 25pts than I would Warney. Why? Because more than likely, half of those 25 Warney points will come on And-1 shots meaning our guys like Stire, Rowley, Peters are in foul trouble. He takes much higher percentage shots (right under the basket), than Purifoy. That's basketball 101. Make the ball go out to the perimeter and make them make tougher shots. I have enough faith in our guards (Evan and Hooley) to not worry about him as much. I have less faith in our bigs (especially with Sam gone) so we need to shut him down as best we can (should have added best we can earlier - obviously no one can shut him down and keep him to 5pts).

Warney going for 25 and 15 is DEVASTATING and will = a likely loss for us. Purifoy going for 25 with 2 assists and 6 TO's is far less devastating. Based on the stats of the last two games.

Here are Warney's numbers, for S&Gs:

35 MPG
52% FG
0% 3PT (no attempts)

67% FT

11.5 RPG

1 APG

0 SPG

2 BPG

2 TPG

2.5 PFG

16 PPG

Now look at this way. He shoots a higher percentage, closer to the basket = more chances to score. He rebounds the ball exponentially better = second opportunities for himself or his teammates. He blocks shots = not allowing US to score. And he turns the ball over less than Purifoy...based on those two games.

Warney is the killer, we all know that. But if we can limit Warney at least a little? We raise our chances of winning considerably. Purifoy will NEVER beat us by himself. If you let Warney get 25/15 or 30/12...we WILL lose.

Edited by Ilko

Puriefoy hit two big time 3's in the second half last year in the finals that could've put us away.

But they didn't. Because he missed gimme FT's, which is my point. He will get his, of course, he's a good player. But I worry less about him (especially since I think Evan is on his level) than I would about Warney destroying our entire big man core.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I'd rather give Purifoy 25pts than I would Warney. Why? Because more than likely, half of those 25 Warney points will come on And-1 shots meaning our guys like Stire, Rowley, Peters are in foul trouble. He takes much higher percentage shots (right under the basket), than Purifoy. That's basketball 101. Make the ball go out to the perimeter and make them make tougher shots. I have enough faith in our guards (Evan and Hooley) to not worry about him as much. I have less faith in our bigs (especially with Sam gone) so we need to shut him down as best we can (should have added best we can earlier - obviously no one can shut him down and keep him to 5pts).

Warney going for 25 and 15 is DEVASTATING and will = a likely loss for us. Purifoy going for 25 with 2 assists and 6 TO's is far less devastating. Based on the stats of the last two games.

35 MPG

52% FG

0% 3PT (no attempts)

67% FT

11.5 RPG

1 APG

0 SPG

2 BPG

2 TPG

2.5 PFG

16 PPG

Now look at this way. He shoots a higher percentage, closer to the basket = more chances to score. He rebounds the ball exponentially better = second opportunities for himself or his teammates. He blocks shots = not allowing US to score. And he turns the ball over less than Purifoy...based on those two games.

Warney is the killer, we all know that. But if we can limit Warney at least a little? We raise our chances of winning considerably. Purifoy will NEVER beat us by himself. If you let Warney get 25/15 or 30/12...we WILL lose.

like you said, we can agree to disagree....haha....Purifoy will dominantly have the ball in his hands for distribution, scoring and even turning it over....once Warney gets it in the block..essentially the play will most likely be over good or bad...until he gets the ball...Purifoy will be 100% in charge and if we control him we control the SeaWolves...IMO

• Like 1

35 MPG

52% FG

0% 3PT (no attempts)

67% FT

11.5 RPG

1 APG

0 SPG

2 BPG

2 TPG

2.5 PFG

16 PPG

like you said, we can agree to disagree....haha....Purifoy will dominantly have the ball in his hands for distribution, scoring and even turning it over....once Warney gets it in the block..essentially the play will most likely be over good or bad...until he gets the ball...Purifoy will be 100% in charge and if we control him we control the SeaWolves...IMO

That is a good point, I can understand that point of view.