UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

OT: Monmouth

For as great as our program has been, there's still a lot that makes me scratch my head regarding the team as a whole: OOC scheduling, poor attendance (given performance), athletic marketing etc.

Edit: for us to make the next step as a program, much needs to be improved. Better attendance will help recruiting - athletes want to play in a great environment. OOC scheduling helps recruiting, and eventual wins will come. Beating St. Francis or Oneonta just isn't going to get it done, not only in terms of keeping us as a second-tier mid-major program, but in terms of recruiting, or getting us a higher seed than 14-16, if we make the big dance.

Edited by justdrastik1

Tack on another. Georgetown. That is how you schedule an OOC schedule.

Yet if we did that , people would be complaining how a long road trip killed our team

Not from me. I've already already gone on record to say the team should have gone on the road to try and play a guarantee instead of playing oneonta.

Why not just board up Sefcu and play our entire season on the road.

You think Georgetown likes to pay 50K to visiting teams? They like us have to play HOME games to maintain a fan base and season ticket base. They have the same problem like us getting teams to play them at home. Being from a bigger conference and a longer tradition, they have the resources to attack the problem. But make no mistake they and other large teams are not handing out 50-100k to mid majors out of generosity or charity. Do you think Duke fans would rather play $iena or UCLA? Getting games @ home is a difficult @ all levels. Duke vs $iena and UA vs Oneonta occur pretty much for the same reason; only Duke has a bit easier way of addressing getting home games ; it's called MONEY.

ps. "fan base" and "season ticket base" are not synonymous.

The Dukes of the world wants cupcake games. These high majors don't have problems getting their marquee OOC games as all te TV networks and new arenas want to do the whole neutral site games. Plus they play as tough of a rconference schedule as is.

No one is saying board up the place, but what positives came out of playing that oneonta game. We're talking one game. If there was really no high major willing to play us then fine.

I agree with both sides of this. I agree it would be great to schedule more big time programs even if on the road but I also don't want what Monmouth is doing where they have ONE home game their entire OOC schedule. Last year we had a run of road games and some bad losses and there were fans and media and even the Coach saying that the travel was killing the team due to less practices and lots of time on buses. What happens if they don't react the way Monmouth has and instead lose every game? Monmouth has 11 OOC games with the smallest programs being Drexel and Cornell. So imagine splitting those and losing the rest and going into conference play at 1-10. Do you guys think that is a good thing? Sure, it's possible to pull off an upset vs one of the bigger programs or Dayton or Army but it's probably more possible to lose all those games. It would be really tough to go into conference play with such a terrible record, low confidence and having traveled all over the place. Then you have the season ticket holders who get to see one home game before January. I don't think it's a great idea.

Edited by DanesRGood
  • Like 2

I for one would not be happy with a schedule of only 1 or 2 OOC home games. Even with some big wins, I don't think it's worth it. I like to go to the games.

That said, to echo comments from the $isn't thread: I love it if UA could make contracts similar to the old Syracuse contract. Do 3:1 or 4:1 with 4 of 5 top level schools. Use the TUC for 1-2 games a year. If you sign 4:1 with 4 schools, we could have an impressive OOC schedule and then each year get to see a major program at "home". Syracuse next year, Duke the hear after, Kentucky the next year, then Florida State.

Actually, I wonder if it would be possible to sign a contract with a conference instead of an individual school. Say sign a deal with the ACC. One if their schools comes here every year and UA visits 3 of there schools every year. That would keep variety of teams up, give a stronger OOC, and get big names here for the home schedule.

• 2 weeks later...