UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Albany vs. Pittsburgh @ Heinz Field

16 hours ago, Dane96 said:

I honestly wonder if Stark has an injury or the wind is blowing against us.  Starks has been strong on kickoffs; looks so weak today.

Vince T: 5-7 131 yards 1TD, 1 INT.

Starks has been awful since day one. Not to pick on him but he has a D3 leg; and well his accuracy less than that. His first year alone he cost us two or three losses almost single handedly. And I've seen only minimal improvement since. Only kicks into the end zone if strong wind at his back

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimbo said:

I honestly didn’t think the O line had too many penalties. False starts, yes. I only remember one hold when Dudzinski got beaten badly and tackled his guy. VT probably appreciated it. EB is back. No one appeared to get dinged up too much. Take away the sacks and they ran for almost 100 against a top FBS defense. I thought the pass to McDonald was incomplete, but the TD for Pitt was BS. Bobbled the ball. Why don’t they review? 

They didn't review because GG blew all of his timeouts trying to get his team on the same page earlier which is actually something I forgot to mention. There was 3-4 spots where the team was SUPER confused. That's on the coaching staff. He burned 2 timeouts on offense and one in defense (presumably to avoid 12 men on the field?). 

How do you not have your team 100% ready for the first game when you've had months to prepare? It's not like this is game 2 and you only had a week to prepare. 

Plus aren't playbook still pretty bare in week 1 vs week 10?

Inexcusable. Yet we gave the guy an extension before knowing if he could ever field a good team (not just talent on paper). 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jimbo said:

I honestly didn’t think the O line had too many penalties. False starts, yes. I only remember one hold when Dudzinski got beaten badly and tackled his guy. VT probably appreciated it. EB is back. No one appeared to get dinged up too much. Take away the sacks and they ran for almost 100 against a top FBS defense. I thought the pass to McDonald was incomplete, but the TD for Pitt was BS. Bobbled the ball. Why don’t they review? 

Eli.  The officials can do a review on any TD any time, NOT ONLY when a coach asks for it. I saw a  later game where they reviewed a catch on the sideline when the coach never asked.   No idea why they didn't on that one. UA has been screwed a couple of times over the last couple of years by officials not reviewing.  That is the job of the one in the press box. It was an obvious NO TD.  Would have been 4th down.  Who knows how that would have affected the outcome of the game if at all.  Can't blame the Gatusso for ANY of those time outs.  Clock was running to nothing NOT because of him but he made the decisions.

MOST teams have the most of the playbook in at the start the season.   Never heard of a playbook being 'bare' in years of coaching!!!!    

If you look back with an open mind at last season, a total of 24 points and we would have won 4 more games.

Edited by HOF2013

8 hours ago, Eli said:

They didn't review because GG blew all of his timeouts trying to get his team on the same page earlier which is actually something I forgot to mention. There was 3-4 spots where the team was SUPER confused. That's on the coaching staff. He burned 2 timeouts on offense and one in defense (presumably to avoid 12 men on the field?). 

How do you not have your team 100% ready for the first game when you've had months to prepare? It's not like this is game 2 and you only had a week to prepare. 

Plus aren't playbook still pretty bare in week 1 vs week 10?

Inexcusable. Yet we gave the guy an extension before knowing if he could ever field a good team (not just talent on paper). 

By the way.  We have had a new offensive coordinator since January and the new playbook in front of the team since spring season.  As per reporting it is very complicated, in front of an ACC crowd at an ACC stadium, you gotta understand that they were nervous and excited.  ALL of the early penalties on the line and confusion was because of that.  Come on!!!!!!!!!

51 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

By the way.  We have had a new offensive coordinator since January and the new playbook in front of the team since spring season.  As per reporting it is very complicated, in front of an ACC crowd at an ACC stadium, you gotta understand that they were nervous and excited.  ALL of the early penalties on the line and confusion was because of that.  Come on!!!!!!!!!

We have same contingent making the same excuses a half a decade in. As upsetting as that first half was where they beat themselves over and over with no discipline, constantly confused, arm tackles etc. The second half was cleaner... 

Next week will be telling. From here on out let's agree that enough of excuses... Can we at least agree on that? I don't want to hear injuries... I don't want to hear defense is young and inexperienced... I don't want to hear 24pts would of could have should of... Save it! Same people same refrain and unwilling to hold this coaching staff accountable for ANYTHING. 

I'm excited about qb play... I thought offensive line did OK against a big physical defensive line. So second half gave me hope. 

Let's see what they go next week. 

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

The non-review of the Pitt TD pass was complete bs.  Unbelievable that the officials didn’t.  That’s not on GG.

As for the rest of the game, can’t forget that this is, by far, the biggest program and most talented team UA football ever faced.  We played them even for an entire half.  1st game, big time program, big time stadium......

Excited for the next game!

1 hour ago, HOF2013 said:

Eli.  The officials can do a review on any TD any time, NOT ONLY when a coach asks for it. I saw a  later game where they reviewed a catch on the sideline when the coach never asked.   No idea why they didn't on that one. UA has been screwed a couple of times over the last couple of years by officials not reviewing.  That is the job of the one in the press box. It was an obvious NO TD.  Would have been 4th down.  Who knows how that would have affected the outcome of the game if at all.  Can't blame the Gatusso for ANY of those time outs.  Clock was running to nothing NOT because of him but he made the decisions.

MOST teams have the most of the playbook in at the start the season.   Never heard of a playbook being 'bare' in years of coaching!!!!    

If you look back with an open mind at last season, a total of 24 points and we would have won 4 more games.

The ref said they couldn't review because Albany has no timeouts. I'm just the messenger so don't shoot me. I agree, wasn't a TD, but that's a moot point. If GG wasn't blowing his timeouts like they were going out of style, he'd have had one there and the refs would have reviewed. Did the refs make a mistake? Sure (they are human). But GG didn't do himself any favors by blowing those timeouts so quickly/early over what were most likely 5 yard penalties. So, from where I sit, how is that NOT on the coaching staff? Who's job is it to calm the kids down and put them in positions to be successful and call a play that won't confuse them, etc.? Who's job is to it know what the kids do and do not know and call accordingly?

That being said, we showed flashes. I too am excited once we play someone more our speed.

Edited by Eli

19 minutes ago, Eli said:

The ref said they couldn't review because Albany has no timeouts. I'm just the messenger so don't shoot me. I agree, wasn't a TD, but that's a moot point. If GG wasn't blowing his timeouts like they were going out of style, he'd have had one there and the refs would have reviewed. Did the refs make a mistake? Sure (they are human). But GG didn't do himself any favors by blowing those timeouts so quickly/early over what were most likely 5 yard penalties. So, from where I sit, how is that NOT on the coaching staff? Who's job is it to calm the kids down and put them in positions to be successful and call a play that won't confuse them, etc.? Who's job is to it know what the kids do and do not know and call accordingly?

That being said, we showed flashes. I too am excited once we play someone more our speed.

It's not on gg... Case in point how many times did he throw his young offensive line under the buss last year. It was a built in excuse all year... It's not his responsibility in year 4 to have depth on the line. 

It's how this homie rolls... So not entirely shocking to see comments on how it's not gg fault that the kids couldn't figure out what play to run or line up in the first half. It's not a coaches responsibility... 

Edited by Clickclack

2 hours ago, Clickclack said:

We have same contingent making the same excuses a half a decade in. As upsetting as that first half was where they beat themselves over and over with no discipline, constantly confused, arm tackles etc. The second half was cleaner... 

Next week will be telling. From here on out let's agree that enough of excuses... Can we at least agree on that? I don't want to hear injuries... I don't want to hear defense is young and inexperienced... I don't want to hear 24pts would of could have should of... Save it! Same people same refrain and unwilling to hold this coaching staff accountable for ANYTHING. 

I'm excited about qb play... I thought offensive line did OK against a big physical defensive line. So second half gave me hope. 

Let's see what they go next week. 

Sorry NOT excuses from me anyway.  Just some realism!  Some of you seem to have no understanding of playing a top FBS program at all.  The differences are incredible, especially the speed.  AND the depth of players with that speed, 2nd and 3rd stringers at that level are on scholarship.   Those 21 additional scholarships make a HUGE difference.  Our 2nd and 3rd stringer are typically walk ons.  Go check out the scores nationwide of FCS programs playing top level FBS programs yesterday.  WOW!  By the way, 6 years is NOT a huge amount of time in a new league at a much more competitive level.  The difference between the old conference we were in and the CAA is as stark as that between us now and an FBS program.  Give me a break!

Edited by HOF2013

1 hour ago, Clickclack said:

It's not on gg... Case in point how many times did he throw his young offensive line under the buss last year. It was a built in excuse all year... It's not his responsibility in year 4 to have depth on the line. 

It's how this homie rolls... So not entirely shocking to see comments on how it's not gg fault that the kids couldn't figure out what play to run or line up in the first half. It's not a coaches responsibility... 

Fact is NOT an excuse my friend!!!  Monday night QB's with no real knowledge at it again I see!!!!!!!!!!!   

1 hour ago, Eli said:

Not shooting you I KNOW what they said, BUT that is NOT accurate.  They can always review any questionable play, see it in other college games all the time.  You have a hardon for the coach, just admit it, you don't like him.  Not going to change anything.  So move one.

Edited by HOF2013

22 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

Fact is NOT an excuse my friend!!!  Monday night QB's with no real knowledge at it again I see!!!!!!!!!!!   

That's the price you must pay if you are willing to come to a fan board. You've been making excuses for gg for years. The year is young let's see if you have reason to finally stop after a half a decade.

Even you have to admit at some point he's going to need to produce... What's unclear is where that point is for you or even of you agree with that sentiment. The leash with you with respect to gg is apparently infinite. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again... In my opinion, he's not a very good coach, it's always someone else's fault for any struggle the team goes through, he loves to deflect issues on someone else and the results aren't there. 

I'm willing to watch this year and see if he can show a glimmer of hope. Real season starts this Saturday. 

What pisses me off is that we are already hearing how his defense is young, graduated talent etc. It's always something... Last year offense was garbage and you never said a peep that I can recall or held him accountable. We must be the only program that has players graduate. 

Even if it's a fact that defense is young... In year 5 we are still talking about this? He's already graduated a class... Other top tier programs have built depth we get to hear how we struggle because we are young etc. 

I'm sorry, I think it's high time for him to produce... You can disagree. 

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

Not shooting you I KNOW what they said, BUT that is NOT accurate.  They can always review any questionable play, see it in other college games all the time.  You have a hardon for the coach, just admit it, you don't like him.  Not going to change anything.  So move one.

He may not like him but it remains to be seen if you'll ever hold him accountable for the state of the program. Guy can do no wrong... Running interference is a skill. 

Winners win... And not winners have "internet experts" run interference. 

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

Sorry NOT excuses from me anyway.  Just some realism!  Some of you seem to have no understanding of playing a top FBS program at all.  The differences are incredible, especially the speed.  AND the depth of players with that speed, 2nd and 3rd stringers at that level are on scholarship.   Those 21 additional scholarships make a HUGE difference.  Our 2nd and 3rd stringer are typically walk ons.  Go check out the scores nationwide of FCS programs playing top level FBS programs yesterday.  WOW!  By the way, 6 years is NOT a huge amount of time in a new league at a much more competitive level.  The difference between the old conference we were in and the CAA is as stark as that between us now and an FBS program.  Give me a break!

Fact. I don't like him. I'm in the minority and fine with that. 

I don't give a rats rear end that you played and think you are the in-house football SME. Who are you? Unless your name is Gary Jones/Will Fiacchi or something, your opinion holds little to no water for me. I've been watching football for 20 years. I see what I see. GG sucked/made bad decisions in the first half and it cost us. Fact.

Edited by Eli
  • Like 1

I’m willing to give a coach a fairly long leash when going from a middle of the road 33 scholarship league to the deepest 63 scholarship league. I do believe that GG made a huge mistake putting Bernard in charge of the offense and it took him way too long to rectify it. It set back the team’s progress. With a competent OC we would have been very good last year. IMHO. This is the make or break year for me and GG. You have a QB, EB is back, you’ve got talent and depth at skill positions, the Oline is now experienced, you have a real OC....now or never. 

• Like 3