UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game #14: 12/7/19 - 3:00PM @ #5 Montana State [FCS Playoffs Round 2]

8 minutes ago, dslyank said:

I was at the game as I am always. You are welcome to your opinion; but for me I'd rather see winning football and a ncaa game every other year or so. As far as running with JMU, I've NOT seen it. We have been a bottom dweller in the caa for years; and IMHO will be no better than mid level MOSTLY. {I hope I'm WRONG!} At least winning in the NEC, our attendance was respectable. Winning brings in fans. Since joining the caa our attendance has gone down every single year. 

I will follow UA no matter what league or even division; as I have since the first "club" game, through DIII to D1. You are more than welcome to abandon ship if desired. I will NOT; but would prefer to be top off a league consistently, than once in a while flash.

I think you completely glossed over the essence of Click's comment. The reason why we 'flash once in a while' is not because we moved to the CAA, but because Greg Gattuso for the first 6 years of his tenure here was completely inept at finding a quarterback and was otherwise worthless as a head coach. This year, he made big strides with recruiting as well as personally with how he assembled his staff and it paid dividends.

14 minutes ago, Eli said:

I think you completely glossed over the essence of Click's comment. The reason why we 'flash once in a while' is not because we moved to the CAA, but because Greg Gattuso for the first 6 years of his tenure here was completely inept at finding a quarterback and was otherwise worthless as a head coach. This year, he made big strides with recruiting as well as personally with how he assembled his staff and it paid dividends.

Right, so before we talk about what a mistake the CAA is, why don't we find out conclusively what exactly we are in this league. If in another 5-10 years, this right here is the best we are then you can entertain that talk. 

If I put it to a poll and asked folks if they would rather be a top 3 team in the CAA or top of the NEC heap, I doubt more then 1 or 2 people would say give me the NEC. How quickly people forget how pumped we were the first time we beat Delaware of the CAA. How far we've come in what, a decade. None of us could even dream 10 years ago of a second round in the NCAA. 

Edited by Clickclack

1 hour ago, dslyank said:

I was at the game as I am always. You are welcome to your opinion; but for me I'd rather see winning football and a ncaa game every other year or so. As far as running with JMU, I've NOT seen it. We have been a bottom dweller in the caa for years; and IMHO will be no better than mid level MOSTLY. {I hope I'm WRONG!} At least winning in the NEC, our attendance was respectable. Winning brings in fans. Since joining the caa our attendance has gone down every single year. 

I will follow UA no matter what league or even division; as I have since the first "club" game, through DIII to D1. You are more than welcome to abandon ship if desired. I will NOT; but would prefer to be top off a league consistently, than once in a while flash.

We only won ONE title in the first EIGHT years in the NEC (2002, the Duquesne game) and one in the last four (2011, NCAA first round.) Four titles total in 14 years, three losing seasons. And NEC teams give a lot more aid now than then, so no guarantee we’d have the same results, or the new stadium either

Edited by UAalum72
  • Like 1

I’m happier with the CAA. In an article in SB Nation for the 2019 recruiting class out of the 382 blue chip (4 and 5 star) recruits in the country, exactly 6 came from NY and all of NE. N.J. had 8 on its own.  There’s 3 FBS teams in NE and the same in NY. There’s most of the Ivies, there’s multiple FCS schools, many of whom didn’t give scholarships until relatively recently. It’s slim pickings...hence why the recruit so much in PA and N.J.   I only mention this because it takes a while to build a solid recruiting base area, plus reputation and success. JMU has a huge advantage as did ODU when it was in the CAA. I think we’re where we belong. 

• Like 1

We destroyed the NEC champs in CCSU - I think that is proof that we have left that league behind.  CAA is where we belong.  I'd rather have a chance at being one of 3 or 4 teams to make the playoffs than win the NEC and have little chance of moving beyond the opening round.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sarge965 said:

We destroyed the NEC champs in CCSU - I think that is proof that we have left that league behind.  CAA is where we belong.  I'd rather have a chance at being one of 3 or 4 teams to make the playoffs than win the NEC and have little chance of moving beyond the opening round.

It's the same thing in the AE (although we are 20 years away from any type of move there, especially with the type of team we've had the last few years) with basketball.

AE is to basketball was NEC was to football...yeah we can win 5 championships...but only to get the 15 or 16 seed and more than likely get run off the floor by a Duke, a UNC, a Michigan State, etc.

If you can move up, you do. It closes the gap to the competition above you. Otherwise, go back down to D2 and just obliterate the teams that have never been D1 and don't know what it takes.

Edited by Eli
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

We only won ONE title in the first EIGHT years in the NEC (2002, the Duquesne game) and one in the last four (2011, NCAA first round.) Four titles total in 14 years, three losing seasons. And NEC teams give a lot more aid now than then, so no guarantee we’d have the same results, or the new stadium either

4 titles in 14 years and no playoff wins in the NEC. I'm all for the CAA and honestly wish we would move there for all sports but I know that won't happen because of the funds it would take to do it.  One playoff appearance in 7 years in the CAA and a win in the playoffs and I thought we had the talent to compete with MSU but it just didn't work out. No way would I want to still be in the NEC.  Sorry ds. 

Edited by DanesRGood
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sarge965 said:

Right... That's the best NEC had and got absolutely owned. 

12 hours ago, DanesRGood said:

4 titles in 14 years and no playoff wins in the NEC. I'm all for the CAA and honestly wish we would move there for all sports but I know that won't happen because of the funds it would take to do it.  One playoff appearance in 7 years in the CAA and a win in the playoffs and I thought we had the talent to compete with MSU but it just didn't work out. No way would I want to still be in the NEC.  Sorry ds. 

Agree 100%!

I surrender and bow to the majority.

Still rather win week in and week out and be competitive every year and DO NOT think this is going to happen in the caa. {like I said before HOPE I"M WRONG!}

But pretty sure I'm not wrong when I say NO ONE on this blog will ever live to see UA in a major bowl game or for that matter even a minor one FBS. {nevertheless less, HOPE you all "LIVE LONG AND PROSPER" AND HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY.} 

28 minutes ago, dslyank said:

I surrender and bow to the majority.

Still rather win week in and week out and be competitive every year and DO NOT think this is going to happen in the caa. {like I said before HOPE I"M WRONG!}

But pretty sure I'm not wrong when I say NO ONE on this blog will ever live to see UA in a major bowl game or for that matter even a minor one FBS. {nevertheless less, HOPE you all "LIVE LONG AND PROSPER" AND HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY.} 

I would 100% agree with your last statement.  I don't think anyone is saying that we can or even want to go FBS. I just don't see it happening.  BUT I could see us competing for an FCS championship at some point with the right staff and right recruits and that would be absolutely FANTASTIC for the school, students, players, coaches and fans. 

Forgot to add, MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

Edited by DanesRGood
  • Like 2

• Eli changed the title to Game #14: 12/7/19 - 3:00PM @ #5 Montana State [FCS Playoffs Round 2]