UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game #14: 12/7/19 - 3:00PM @ #5 Montana State [FCS Playoffs Round 2]

1 hour ago, alum73 said:

He managed an undefeated season.  He didn't need to throw as much as we did.

NDSU is a perennial power. They could put any kid at QB and probably win. Our kid had a huge part in a team getting picked at the bottom of their conference surprising everyone and their mother and getting to 2nd round.

Hope JUC uses this as motivation and has an even better year next year. 

I watched a good bit of both games. NDSU is a juggernaut. They scored on back to back plays that totaled 150 yards...same player. Speed kills. I’ll be rooting for JMU, but they’ve gotta play mistake free. I posted over on the MSU board, and I really believe it, NDSU is an FBS team masquerading as an FCS team. 

1 hour ago, jimbo said:

I watched a good bit of both games. NDSU is a juggernaut. They scored on back to back plays that totaled 150 yards...same player. Speed kills. I’ll be rooting for JMU, but they’ve gotta play mistake free. I posted over on the MSU board, and I really believe it, NDSU is an FBS team masquerading as an FCS team. 

They are impressive as always and I am sure debates go on about moving up to FBS and maybe joining the MAC but if I were a student or alum, I would say hell no.  They win ship after ship in the FCS. Hugh growing pains moving up, hugh expenses, and for what?  An occasional appearance in the Weedeater Bowl or Depends for Men Bowl cause they won the MAC or got to 6 wins.  They would never be sitting around on 1st Sunday of Dec waiting to see if they are playing Clemson or Alabama in a national semifinal.  Keep loading up the trophy case I would say in the FCS.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jimbo said:

Same for JMU...borderline FBS program. 

3 minutes ago, Eli said:

Same for JMU...borderline FBS program. 

I would think NDSu should move up.  They have enough funds lying around to pay us [what was it $250,000] to come out and play them in a couple of years.   BUT it may not be a goal of every program to move up to the next level.  Look at Gambling for example, same level [FCS - old 1 AA] for decades. 

2 hours ago, nysteve661 said:

They are impressive as always and I am sure debates go on about moving up to FBS and maybe joining the MAC but if I were a student or alum, I would say hell no.  They win ship after ship in the FCS. Hugh growing pains moving up, hugh expenses, and for what?  An occasional appearance in the Weedeater Bowl or Depends for Men Bowl cause they won the MAC or got to 6 wins.  They would never be sitting around on 1st Sunday of Dec waiting to see if they are playing Clemson or Alabama in a national semifinal.  Keep loading up the trophy case I would say in the FCS.

I’m not saying they SHOULD move up, just that they have a program that I think could be competitive in the MAC and Sunbelt levels of FBS. They talk on the MSU site about the fact that in North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin and Minnesota there are only two FBS schools and no FCS schools in the latter two. They have a big recruiting advantage for top levelFCS players when it’s added to their championship success  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nysteve661 said:

AGREE 100%. Well written and thoughtful. 

• Thanks 2

On 12/22/2019 at 7:48 AM, nysteve661 said:

This is also why I was/am against the move to the caa.  Move up for what? One ncaa appearance in seven years; would have made at least 3 appearances in that period if stayed in the NEC. Also, less growing pains, head aches and EXPENSES in NEC. Either way, move or NOT, none of us on this blog will ever see a major bowl game including UA; and for that matter probably never even see a minor one. MOVE UP FOR WHAT??????????

40 minutes ago, dslyank said:

This is also why I was/am against the move to the caa.  Move up for what? One ncaa appearance in seven years; would have made at least 3 appearances in that period if stayed in the NEC. Also, less growing pains, head aches and EXPENSES in NEC. Either way, move or NOT, none of us on this blog will ever see a major bowl game including UA; and for that matter probably never even see a minor one. MOVE UP FOR WHAT??????????

Northeast college football is not known for stud teams vying for the football playoff or New Years Day Bowl games.  The top recruits in the US are not praying for offers from horrid FBS programs like UMass, Rutgers, UConn or middling teams like Cuse, BC.  Army is too specialized for many recruits. Odd as it may seem, Buffalo is probably the best team in NE lately.  Any FCS team in the Northeast would be idiotic to move up, ask UMass. 

1 hour ago, dslyank said:

Except you would never get any growth in your recruiting base.

2 hours ago, dslyank said:

Again, one appearance in 7 years is a function of program building failures and not a result of the move. There is ZERO chance I would EVER go back to NEC. EVER!

If that ever gets instituted I walk away from the program. I want to run with the JMU's of the world and be affiliated with them and not CCSU. Central Connecticut talked a big game, showed up to a CAA school and promptly got their ass kicked. If you didn't see in that game the difference between the CAA and NEC...well...that's on you!

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Clickclack said:

Again, one appearance in 7 years is a function of program building failures and not a result of the move. There is ZERO chance I would EVER go back to NEC. EVER!

If that ever gets instituted I walk away from the program. I want to run with the JMU's of the world and be affiliated with them and not CCSU. Central Connecticut talked a big game, showed up to a CAA school and promptly got their ass kicked. If you didn't see in that game the difference between the CAA and NEC...well...that's on you!

I was at the game as I am always. You are welcome to your opinion; but for me I'd rather see winning football and a ncaa game every other year or so. As far as running with JMU, I've NOT seen it. We have been a bottom dweller in the caa for years; and IMHO will be no better than mid level MOSTLY. {I hope I'm WRONG!} At least winning in the NEC, our attendance was respectable. Winning brings in fans. Since joining the caa our attendance has gone down every single year. 

I will follow UA no matter what league or even division; as I have since the first "club" game, through DIII to D1. You are more than welcome to abandon ship if desired. I will NOT; but would prefer to be top off a league consistently, than once in a while flash.

Edited by dslyank