UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game #27: 2/20/2020 @7PM vs UMBC

2 minutes ago, nysteve661 said:

Thanks UA'08.  I am not saying a team can never have some home grown coaches and of course basketball teams have more coaches than lax.  But anyone here on the board could coach Lyle, Connor, TD with the same results.  Generational talent.  It's what coaches do without that type of talent in getting the most out of a team and they have fallen short.  Certainly in basketball with little improvement from last year for the bulk of the roster.  Different set or two of eyes may help the team and help CB.  Can't hurt.  Some feelings may be hurt but it's a job and tough decisions have to be made.  As for lax, has Tehoka improved?  #1 recruit in the country in 2017.  What about some of those freshmen from last season highly touted?  Still time for the coaches to improve them but again, an asst who played at an ACC team, Maryland, Yale, for example can bring new ideas.  Just don't think you should put all the eggs in the same basket.  Just trying to suggest an idea early, instead of 2 years from now we are in the same boat.

I was agreeing with you lol. It was more at statefan that it was a terrible comparison. Two of WB important assistants during the 3 peat are no longer even in coaching. 

Edited by UA'08

Well, I'm glad to engage.  I thought the original comparison of Coach Brown's staff to Coach Marr's staff was a bad comparison.  Regarding Coach Brown's staff, I do not know the primary responsibilities of each assistant.  I would not mind seeing some turnover, but, if you were to ask me who and why, I couldn't answer.  Also, to be complete regarding the point of only hiring former players, Josh Pelletier did not play for Coach Brown.

My point regarding Coach Marr and his staff is that having former players as Assistant Coaches has worked in the very recent past.  I thought the point of the original post was that Coach Marr should have hired a defensive co-ordinator who had never played for him In other threads, because somehow assistants who never played for the head coach are more likely to suggest different ideas to the head coach,  It is simply a premise that I disagree with, which was my only point.  I see coaching staffs taken to task on this message board for recruiting failures, but, here, the claim is being put forth that generational talents were recruited and somehow the coaching staff gets no credit for the recruitment or for the development.  I will also note that each of the assistant lax coaches had other coaching  jobs before returning to UAlbany.

9 minutes ago, statefan said:

Well, I'm glad to engage.  I thought the original comparison of Coach Brown's staff to Coach Marr's staff was a bad comparison.  Regarding Coach Brown's staff, I do not know the primary responsibilities of each assistant.  I would not mind seeing some turnover, but, if you were to ask me who and why, I couldn't answer.  Also, to be complete regarding the point of only hiring former players, Josh Pelletier did not play for Coach Brown.

My point regarding Coach Marr and his staff is that having former players as Assistant Coaches has worked in the very recent past.  I thought the point of the original post was that Coach Marr should have hired a defensive co-ordinator who had never played for him In other threads, because somehow assistants who never played for the head coach are more likely to suggest different ideas to the head coach,  It is simply a premise that I disagree with, which was my only point.  I see coaching staffs taken to task on this message board for recruiting failures, but, here, the claim is being put forth that generational talents were recruited and somehow the coaching staff gets no credit for the recruitment or for the development.  I will also note that each of the assistant lax coaches had other coaching  jobs before returning to UAlbany.

Pretty sure Pelletier is a local product who played at st rose and landed on the staff as a graduate assistant. That’s pretty much as good as playing for him. Can even say it’s worse than playing for him as you can mold a graduate assistant into yourself 

Edited by UA'08

Its well understood posters on here do not like the coaching staff, to be fair, make sure when they win and play well you blame staff as well. To be honest, I bet the staff is disappointed in the effort of the guys too but its a long season, if blamed for losses blame them for Ws too. I think Ua is lucky to have Coach Brown and after 5 conference titles and possibly the worst facilities in the league, what he is producing is still solid. Albany is lucky to have Brown and his staff.  Should the bottom seven teams fire there coaches too guys or just the third place team? And for what reason the new facility? The endless money being pumped into program, Albany is lucky to have Brown. Assistants dont win or lose games lets be real just trying to bring some perspective to the posters who. Live and die with every win and loss. Long season!! Most small schools struggle for years, albany is lucky to always be consistently good especiallly with their facilities being so poor. Its a forum, bash the coaching staff, but seriously there in third place and Brown is a hell of a coach. How many other teams  at the lowest level would lose There two best players as juniors and be in the mix two years later and still have people complaining meanwhile playing in a gym out of the 1990s without parking.

Edited by Bball2020
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, McFan said:

Can someone smarter than me explain the end of the first half?  

First w Hanks on the line shooting a 1 and 1 we have nobody rebounding?  Nobody?

Then with fouls to give we and 5 seconds left we let a guy into the lane to score?  Why didn’t we foul?

Yes, everyone in my immediate area was dumbfounded by how things played out at the end of the first half.  Sometimes, crap happens, mental fatique? Don't no!

3 minutes ago, Bball2020 said:

Its well understood posters on here do not like the coaching staff, to be fair, make sure when they win and play well you blame staff as well. To be honest, I bet the staff is disappointed in the effort of the guys too but its a long season, if blamed for losses blame them for Ws too. I think Ua is lucky to have Coach Brown and after 5 conference titles and possibly the worst facilities in the league, what he is producing is still solid. Albany is lucky to have Brown and his staff.  Should the bottom seven teams fire there coaches too guys or just the third place team? And for what reason the new facility? The endless money being pumped into program, Albany is lucky to have Brown. Assistants dont win or lose games lets be real just trying to bring some perspective to the posters who. Live and die with every win and loss. Long season!! Most small schools struggle for years, albany is lucky to always be consistently good especiallly with their facilities tes being so poor.

I blame this season on injuries and lack of execution on the court.... Lose and win a bunch of close games... Wrong time to be sliding backwards.... Saturday will be interesting....

Il just say I do know this is a forum so by all means disrespect the coaching staff if you want but what are people’s expectations? Do you think Will Brown whose won the league five times is not good enough for UAlbany Lol? Yesterdays game was horrible but it happens. I think Vermont and Stony are better then anyone in the league- so if were Third I will take that all day. UA badly needs a consistent third scoring option and then we would be much more consistent. Thought Lulka had million dollar moves with ten cent finishes. Hopefully someone steps forward. 

3 hours ago, Bball2020 said:

Its well understood posters on here do not like the coaching staff, to be fair, make sure when they win and play well you blame staff as well. To be honest, I bet the staff is disappointed in the effort of the guys too but its a long season, if blamed for losses blame them for Ws too. I think Ua is lucky to have Coach Brown and after 5 conference titles and possibly the worst facilities in the league, what he is producing is still solid. Albany is lucky to have Brown and his staff.  Should the bottom seven teams fire there coaches too guys or just the third place team? And for what reason the new facility? The endless money being pumped into program, Albany is lucky to have Brown. Assistants dont win or lose games lets be real just trying to bring some perspective to the posters who. Live and die with every win and loss. Long season!! Most small schools struggle for years, albany is lucky to always be consistently good especiallly with their facilities being so poor. Its a forum, bash the coaching staff, but seriously there in third place and Brown is a hell of a coach. How many other teams  at the lowest level would lose There two best players as juniors and be in the mix two years later and still have people complaining meanwhile playing in a gym out of the 1990s without parking.

Not all of us blame the staff, but when things aren't going well you go to the top. The leaders take the blame and the players take the glory.

While I miss Eli and click and co posting on the board for the additional commentary and input, I dont miss the negativity. It's been decidedly more readable here even through the bad times.

At UA we expect a winner. That's what we want the fans to expect, and that's what we expect the coaches and administration to expect. If we aren't #1 in the league, we will complain. I like it that way. 

We have great talent. We can beat any team in the league if we are on. We have a proven head coach. We have a proven history. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4 seed UA get hot at the end and go to the dance as a PIG.

5 years without a real competitor for the chip wears on the fans. We want a winner, and we get pissed when we don't have one year after year.

The biggest problem I have with the staff is that they are all Brown disciples. There are no real dissenting voices.

Edited by godanesgo99

10 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

Not all of us blame the staff, but when things aren't going well you go to the top. The leaders take the blame and the players take the glory.

While I miss Eli and click and co posting on the board for the additional commentary and input, I dont miss the negativity. It's been decidedly more readable here even through the bad times.

At UA we expect a winner. That's what we want the fans to expect, and that's what we expect the coaches and administration to expect. If we aren't #1 in the league, we will complain. I like it that way. 

We have great talent. We can beat any team in the league if we are on. We have a proven head coach. We have a proven history. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4 seed UA get hot at the end and go to the dance as a PIG.

5 years without a real competitor for the chip wears on the fans. We want a winner, and we get pissed when we don't have one year after year.

The biggest problem I have with the staff is that they are all Brown disciples. There are no real dissenting voices.

A few things to add...

I am not a numbers guru and don't dig in to the stats at the highest level, but has Desousa really regressed? I don't think he has lived up to expectations, but I hesitate to say he has regressed. There was a reason he didn't see the floor a ton last year, and he had highs and lows when he did. I am interested to see what next year brings for him. I know many of us are interested to see what next year brings as well. It is probably an all or nothing year.

Live and Die by the three is going to make for nights like what happened against UMBC, and also UML. The bigs are pretty brutal on the offensive end. The dropped entry passes into the post are brutal and have not corrected themselves. I know we are in good position to stay in the top half of the league but we hanse't beaten any of the team in the top half. We are essentially the best of the worst, that concerns me.

As for Eli and Click... As far I know no one banned them. They can begin posting again whenever they want if they choose. They were HYPER critical on so many levels of these players, people commented on the overall feel and climate of the board, they didn't like it so they took their ball and went home and never came back. Its interesting that people didn't really name names, they just discussed the overall negative and personal vibe of this board, and those two (who smashed and criticized the players harder than everyone) got angry and left. Can dish it out, but can't take it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

We’ve finished the regular season in first twice! We’ve won 12+ conference games in a season only four times! I’d say WB is lucky to have Albany. Albany will be here for years to come long after he’s gone and he’ll be collecting checks from Albany for years to come too.

Edited by UA'08

I believe there’s more to it than just counting your NCAA tournament appearances if you want to build a program with sustained success year after year. Our NCAAs where great and fun, but looking back I’d take 2 straight regular season conference championships instead of winning the 11/12 and 12/13 conf tournament. Yes that sounds crazy, but I’d think that would have done better for the program in the long run. 

Click and Eli were good for this board. It’s funny as I felt they have toned it down from 10 years ago. If people are really getting offended by message boards don’t read it. It’s now less active without then on it.

Responding to an above post about Desousa: 

I dont think he has regressed. But I dont think he has progressed either. He is suppose to be this ultra athletic body but cant create his own shot. He is very good on the defensive end but is starting to remind me a little of Campbell. (Just more athletic) 

I like the kid, he tries really really hard and seems to really care. He needs to really work on his offensive game during the off season.  He should be able to take the big men off the dribble and the smaller guys to the post. 

Edited by UA1882
  • Like 1