UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game #27: 2/20/2020 @7PM vs UMBC

Can someone smarter than me explain the end of the first half?  

First w Hanks on the line shooting a 1 and 1 we have nobody rebounding?  Nobody?

Then with fouls to give we and 5 seconds left we let a guy into the lane to score?  Why didn’t we foul? - McFan

I think the halftime ending was a mistake - the team fouled once and was suppose to foul again and DeSousa was beat off the dribble and didn't foul. CB was visibly upset.

2 hours ago, UA'08 said:

I believe there’s more to it than just counting your NCAA tournament appearances if you want to build a program with sustained success year after year. Our NCAAs where great and fun, but looking back I’d take 2 straight regular season conference championships instead of winning the 11/12 and 12/13 conf tournament. Yes that sounds crazy, but I’d think that would have done better for the program in the long run. 

You've said this before and you're certainly entitled to your opinion but I don't buy it. 

If you look at what men's basketball programs have done in their first 20 years of turning D1, you're not going to find another one that has gone to 5 NCAA tourneys. 

58 minutes ago, Dane Pound said:

You've said this before and you're certainly entitled to your opinion but I don't buy it. 

If you look at what men's basketball programs have done in their first 20 years of turning D1, you're not going to find another one that has gone to 5 NCAA tourneys. 

That’s another point, some people have been following the program pre-D1, others like me started following the program when they were already a D1 program. Doesn’t make me any less of a fan of the program. In fact there probably isn’t one user on this board that’s a post 2010 graduate.

It’s a valid question though as far as what would you rather see. 3 years in a row of 1st place finishes losing in the conf tournament or 3 years of 9-7 in 4/5 place finish and a trip to the NCAAs. I used to think NCAA is the end all be all, but for sustained success and building a program give me the regular season championship.

Edited by UA'08

I know they weren't banned. Both got pissed off at other people (including me) for asking them to keep the ultra negativity off the board. So instead of either ignoring it and going about their way, or listening to the requests and being a little less critical and insulting, they decided to just walk away saying they are done posting. That was their choice.

I do miss the analysis and what sometimes feels like insider info, but the tone has been lighter and more pleasant. The post volume has gone down, but you are seeing posts from newer names. So far it's been a net positive in my mind.

Hopefully when they decide to come back the board will have more active users and the environment will be more constructive than "XYZ isn't a D1 player" 

29 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

Hopefully when they decide to come back the board will have more active users and the environment will be more constructive than "XYZ isn't a D1 player" 

I hope so as well. I try to be positive but sometimes its difficult.  Haha . I have said in the past that "player x" is not a division 1 player. I do feel bad about that. There are 12+ players on a roster and sometimes coaches miss. However I believe that every player on the team should be able to do something well. Just something (Defense , free throws, rebound, shooting). The guys far on the bench should try and develop 1 thing to help the team.  

Also this is a broken record (I know , Haha) but we NEED to recruit more athletic. Someone who can jump and move. I think (obviously) this would help a lot. 

31 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

I know they weren't banned. Both got pissed off at other people (including me) for asking them to keep the ultra negativity off the board. So instead of either ignoring it and going about their way, or listening to the requests and being a little less critical and insulting, they decided to just walk away saying they are done posting. That was their choice.

I do miss the analysis and what sometimes feels like insider info, but the tone has been lighter and more pleasant. The post volume has gone down, but you are seeing posts from newer names. So far it's been a net positive in my mind.

Against my better judgment.. I'm going to explain my point of view on thing and then disappear again. On occasion I'll log in because people still dm me but it will be pretty rare unless I decide to come back or on occasion and post. 

- I have never once here or anywhere claimed that I was run off, banned etc. Anyone posting such a thing is flat out lying or uninformed. 

- I have always been complimentary of DP and the forum he has provided many of us for a long time. I was a regular poster for close to 15 years. A mountain of posts, some good I'm sure some (maybe many) bad, some upset and some upbeat. Via the relationships I've built over the years I got a good deal of insider information. Many of you have dm'd me over the years know that knew a lot more about program then what I publicly posted and much of that information came true. 

- Several people have claimed I threw a hissy fit and left. That I can dish it but can't take it. Those of you who have seen me over the years posting on LCC forum know how absolutely idiotic that position is. I have always and will always be an ardent UA supporter on whatever forum I chose to communicate, twitter, ae board etc. Regardless of who the coach is… I'm a lifer. 

As to why I took a break. 

- simply put it hasn't been fun for a while. And when something is no longer fun why keep doing it? Posting my own stream of consciousness for all here to consume and some folks to get very very upset over was doing no one good. Not me getting it off my mind (chest) and not the folks reading it and getting upset. So I gave myself and others here a voluntary break. It wasn't in a fit of rage or with any animus towards anyone. Sometimes things just run their course and end.

- there are some folks here who can't stand the sight of me posting honest observations as I see it. I've never posted it as gospel. It's a discussion board but criticism isn't encouraged by some. Those suggestion that my commentary only revolved around player xyz isn't a d1 player is not telling the truth. I've posted at length on the manner of play and style, recruiting, program direction, analytical breakdowns etc. To boil down my 15 years of posting as simple unvarnished ripping and burning everything to the ground isn't really fair but to each his own. Again… it was never meant to be gospel. It was my view of things… Same right every poster has on here. No forum rules were broken by me I don't think or DP would have let me know I would hope. 

- there is a small group of people here who constantly stroke the egos of the players and coaches as if the program is in a great spot. And see it as a personal affront if anyone disagrees. The reality is far different and matter of public record. Haven't competed for a regular season title for a long time. Haven't competed for a ncaa birth but in a few spurts when they hit on a collection of a few good recruits. Between those peaks are some brutal valleys of wasted scholarships, kids that can't even get into a game and haven't for years that ride the pine. Significant roster turnover which if you are being fair indicates a lot of misses on the recruiting trail. This crop of current players hasn't progressed at all in my opinion… The program is stagnant and not producing as I see it. In the meantime they are being absolutely lapped by the likes of Vermont… We are basically not a competitive program to them right now. Haven't beaten them in years. I saw a passing reference to us having the worst facilities… More excuse making...tell it to Vermont who's been beating us like a rented mule. You have players who are more concerned about settling scores on Twitter with fans then worrying about not putting up a complete slop fest like they did against umbc. A game that should have EVERYONE rethink the direction of the program. We started the season with coaches talking about if you can't score you can't play… Need to score from all 5 spots. And the result is, by any metric a team that isn't even average on offense but don't worry.. Everything is great. 10 minutes without a fg…that's fine… game after game you don't know what team you'll get from half to half or game to game… No problem. There are fans here who enable it and tell them how lucky we are to have Coach Brown and these players. Even in the face of Will Brown himself telling you he and the coaches need to do better… You still have people telling you how great everything is. The same few people call a spade the spade that it is only to have family and friends come in and cool the heat on the program as the program continues to be a middling one. 

So dispel any notion that I left because I couldn't handle the heat here… It's nonsense. I left because I'm tired of arguing the same points year after year as I'm sure you are arguing them with me… we turnover half the roster every year, win nothing or something once every 5 year or so on average. This had been my least favorite UA season maybe ever. Everything is a struggle, from half to half you don't know what you'll see. Player development almost appears to be by accident if the kid figures it out on his own. So no… I'm not happy at all where this program is… 3rd place in one of the worst conferences in D1 is of little consolations once you get past that varnish and look at what is going on on the court and makeup and style of team. So instead of rehashing this regularly, I'm going to keep watching and post much much much less or not at all. If anyone has any further questions as to why I left… Dm me so we don't bore the happy go lucky crowd. 

Peace out! 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Against my better judgment.. I'm going to explain my point of view on thing and then disappear again. On occasion I'll log in because people still dm me but it will be pretty rare unless I decide to come back or on occasion and post. 

- I have never once here or anywhere claimed that I was run off, banned etc. Anyone posting such a thing is flat out lying or uninformed. 

- I have always been complimentary of DP and the forum he has provided many of us for a long time. I was a regular poster for close to 15 years. A mountain of posts, some good I'm sure some (maybe many) bad, some upset and some upbeat. Via the relationships I've built over the years I got a good deal of insider information. Many of you have dm'd me over the years know that knew a lot more about program then what I publicly posted and much of that information came true. 

- Several people have claimed I threw a hissy fit and left. That I can dish it but can't take it. Those of you who have seen me over the years posting on LCC forum know how absolutely idiotic that position is. I have always and will always be an ardent UA supporter on whatever forum I chose to communicate, twitter, ae board etc. Regardless of who the coach is… I'm a lifer. 

As to why I took a break. 

- simply put it hasn't been fun for a while. And when something is no longer fun why keep doing it? Posting my own stream of consciousness for all here to consume and some folks to get very very upset over was doing no one good. Not me getting it off my mind (chest) and not the folks reading it and getting upset. So I gave myself and others here a voluntary break. It wasn't in a fit of rage or with any animus towards anyone. Sometimes things just run their course and end.

- there are some folks here who can't stand the sight of me posting honest observations as I see it. I've never posted it as gospel. It's a discussion board but criticism isn't encouraged by some. Those suggestion that my commentary only revolved around player xyz isn't a d1 player is not telling the truth. I've posted at length on the manner of play and style, recruiting, program direction, analytical breakdowns etc. To boil down my 15 years of posting as simple unvarnished ripping and burning everything to the ground isn't really fair but to each his own. Again… it was never meant to be gospel. It was my view of things… Same right every poster has on here. No forum rules were broken by me I don't think or DP would have let me know I would hope. 

- there is a small group of people here who constantly stroke the egos of the players and coaches as if the program is in a great spot. And see it as a personal affront if anyone disagrees. The reality is far different and matter of public record. Haven't competed for a regular season title for a long time. Haven't competed for a ncaa birth but in a few spurts when they hit on a collection of a few good recruits. Between those peaks are some brutal valleys of wasted scholarships, kids that can't even get into a game and haven't for years that ride the pine. Significant roster turnover which if you are being fair indicates a lot of misses on the recruiting trail. This crop of current players hasn't progressed at all in my opinion… The program is stagnant and not producing as I see it. In the meantime they are being absolutely lapped by the likes of Vermont… We are basically not a competitive program to them right now. Haven't beaten them in years. I saw a passing reference to us having the worst facilities… More excuse making...tell it to Vermont who's been beating us like a rented mule. You have players who are more concerned about settling scores on Twitter with fans then worrying about not putting up a complete slop fest like they did against umbc. A game that should have EVERYONE rethink the direction of the program. We started the season with coaches talking about if you can't score you can't play… Need to score from all 5 spots. And the result is, by any metric a team that isn't even average on offense but don't worry.. Everything is great. 10 minutes without a fg…that's fine… game after game you don't know what team you'll get from half to half or game to game… No problem. There are fans here who enable it and tell them how lucky we are to have Coach Brown and these players. Even in the face of Will Brown himself telling you he and the coaches need to do better… You still have people telling you how great everything is. The same few people call a spade the spade that it is only to have family and friends come in and cool the heat on the program as the program continues to be a middling one. 

So dispel any notion that I left because I couldn't handle the heat here… It's nonsense. I left because I'm tired of arguing the same points year after year as I'm sure you are arguing them with me… we turnover half the roster every year, win nothing or something once every 5 year or so on average. This had been my least favorite UA season maybe ever. Everything is a struggle, from half to half you don't know what you'll see. Player development almost appears to be by accident if the kid figures it out on his own. So no… I'm not happy at all where this program is… 3rd place in one of the worst conferences in D1 is of little consolations once you get past that varnish and look at what is going on on the court and makeup and style of team. So instead of rehashing this regularly, I'm going to keep watching and post much much much less or not at all. If anyone has any further questions as to why I left… Dm me so we don't bore the happy go lucky crowd. 

Peace out! 

Would you just leave already! Damn! 🤣

12 minutes ago, Bball2020 said:

Never knew Ua had so many fans who expect them to be the gold standard of low small school basketball each year. Sad. Im happy the team is in third place in the low level league, its fun having a consistently good local team. Glad siena is good too after struggling for years!

I’m with you, we are a low major school. Some will disagree with you and say we are a mid major. As I’ve said I had some grand illusions of what the program could become after each of those runs, but in reality the program is as you’ve described.

I try to keep my opinions in the reasonable arena.

No, third place doesn't get a coach fired, nor should it.  It doesn't mean he can't be criticized either. This team may finish in third, but easily could finish in fifth if they throw up another stinker.  9-7 = ok in this conference.  8-8 is not good.  The bottom of this conference is always very bad.  You should get six wins without much effort, every  year.  So no big points from me for getting 8 or even 9.  

When they are not winning the team at times becomes unwatchable.  48 points.  52 points.  Yuck.  And what do we do?  Nothing.  No change on the offensive end of the floor.  Six or seven dribble hand offs all to get it back in the same guys hands w/ 10 on the shot clock???   This leads to fan frustration and in my opinion rightfully so.  

We've heard Coach Brown has overachieved given the arena.  Really?  Have you been to UVM?  

Big men?  Why can't we get a decent big man?  Do they not want to play in our offense?  Our bigs have been below average in a below average conference for years.  One of you actually called Stire a stud.  A stud?  Don't get me wrong I love how he played.  Max effort.  Tough.  Serviceable.  But when that's where we look to for a last big man we've got a problem.   Sam Rowley was our last dominant big man.  He graduated in 2015.  

A win tonight puts us in a better spot but with SB and UVM still on the schedule holding on to third will be tough.  

Edited by McFan
  • Like 1

I've never said be nice to, or defend Will Brown. He is paid pretty solid money to produce a winner for the school and the fans. It's been half a decade since we have seen that.

In bad times, the coaches and the staff deserve to take heat. They are to blame for everything that goes wrong. Everything.

In good times the players get all the credit. They are on the floor, they executed the plan, they played the games.

That's athletics. I tend to trust WB because of the past success and having a team that is in the top half of the AE almost every single season for the last 15+ years, but 5 straight without a significant win means he will get the heat and deserves it.

I do have a problem with bashing the players in the bad times. They have what they have and do what they can. The coach didn't put them in a position to do better. Didn't recruit enough other players. Didn't design the right plays. Didn't sit them when they needed to sit them. Didn't draw up the right plans. It's the coaches fault 99% of the time. The 1% it's not, it's the ADs fault for not advising the coach the right way.

Players might have an off night. Might make bonehead plays. Might royally screw up or miss an easy shot at crunch time. That's the coaches fault.

The players aren't getting paid, and are part of the family. Talk about when they messed up. Say you think we would be better off with French playing if that's what you feel. Say the bigs need to get better hands. There is a line though that shouldn't be crossed unless you are talking about the ones at fault: the coaches.

That’s a straight up a lie that only the players get credit in good times. The coaches get plenty of credit when they win and they should take plenty of heat when it’s a mess.

Also finishing in the top half of this dreadful league is not that difficult. Especially if people want to put us in the same class as Vermont.

Edited by UA'08