UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Leadership Interaction

godanesgo99

I'm as anti LCC as anyone on this board, but I do like one thing about their board... The have a section for chatting with Coach Carm. 

Has anyone from this board ever approached the athletic department about a forum on this site? Maybe a section for Coach and leadership Interaction, with a separate thread for each coach and leader? We know they read the board, maybe give them their own section and keep them away from the craziness in the other sections? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cwdickens said:

You should forward your suggestion for tonight's Zoom call and/or directly via e mail to Mark Benson's email: mabenson@ualbany.edu 

I don't disagree, but since I don't run this board, I would never consider doing so unless the consensus on the board agreed we would want that, and those in control of the board wanted to implement it. 

25 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

I don't disagree, but since I don't run this board, I would never consider doing so unless the consensus on the board agreed we would want that, and those in control of the board wanted to implement it. 

No one is commenting.....

Benson hasn't even followed through with his "town hall" chats he talked so much about doing for fans. He likes to keep fans away with a 10ft poll. Maybe I'm wrong as he now has the media department for athletics all over basketball where they haven't given a crap about it for 3 years at least. So maybe his tune will change now that he has his guy in. 🤷🏻‍♀️ But that's on the school to create their own forum not a private one you'd think.

Edited by MRSGDG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the record, I did approach some of the coaches about this but it was quite a while ago. It was when Bob Ford was coaching. He read the board and then declined, which to be perfectly honest, I understood.

With Zoom meetings and twitter, I kind of think the need for a chat with board members has kind of passed. I suspect most people follow the coaches on twitter and some likely interact with them. I'm not sure how much more would be gained from a live chat, maybe that's just me.

Over the last few years I've wondered if message boards themselves are becoming obsolete. Many of the fans stay in contact through one or more of the other forms of social media.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dane Pound said:

With Zoom meetings and twitter, I kind of think the need for a chat with board members has kind of passed. I suspect most people follow the coaches on twitter and some likely interact with them. I'm not sure how much more would be gained from a live chat, maybe that's just me.

Agree; coaches have more important things to do than chat with fans. But IMHO message boards and blogs of this sort are still relevant. Coaches or preferably a staff member should monitor the blogs; but certainly should not be actively participating. I do not do Facebook or Twitter or Tip/Tik Top/Tox or whatever they call it and am perfectly happy NOT TO. So DP please KEEP THIS BLOG ALIVE.

So now that I said;  coaches need not communicate personally to fans;  just for fun I responded to what I felt was a robo call and bulk email from Coach K. My email made reference to UWM where my son is a professor. Coach Killings got back to me right away said he lived near UWM on Milwaukee East Side and that we should stay in contact. Very pleased with the personal contact. He seems to be genuine and I grow more impressed all the time; but still really feel he has more important things to do.

Edited by dslyank

13 hours ago, Dane Pound said:

For the record, I did approach some of the coaches about this but it was quite a while ago. It was when Bob Ford was coaching. He read the board and then declined, which to be perfectly honest, I understood.

Over the last few years I've wondered if message boards themselves are becoming obsolete. Many of the fans stay in contact through one or more of the other forms of social media.

Yeah, I see the same thing on the automotive forum I'm a staff member on. With more and more people looking for instant gratification or response, most users are going to FB. In the automotive world, forums are still very much necessary from a knowledge repository standpoint (that's where we document processes on how to replace parts, do maintenance, etc.). That kind of stuff is hard to do on FB, Twitter, etc. For sports and just back and forth banter, I still think forums have a place but who knows in 10 years...

As always, if you ever do want to split the load, I'm happy to help run this place :).