UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

4 hours ago, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

Not sure if any of you have been paying attention but Jared Verse had a very good season at Florida State. I’ve seen a few sites that have him a top 10 pick in the 2023 draft.

Gattuso finds talented guys, just can’t win with them.  

Prior to him, did we ever have anyone drafted? I know he'll show as FSU on the draft board, but without UA, he may never go to FSU.

34 minutes ago, Eli said:

Prior to him, did we ever have anyone drafted? I know he'll show as FSU on the draft board, but without UA, he may never go to FSU.

Kurt Campbell, 2005 7th round, Packers

Rashad Barksdale, 2007 6th round, Philadelphia, played 6 games for  Kansas City

• Like 1

Cannot remember his name; but I recall a tight end under Ford who played a couple of games in the NFL. Not Sure if he was drafted or one of those after draft signees? Maybe I'm wrong?

Also punter (sister was a news reporter for CH13) transferred to Tennessee I think; pretty sure he was drafted, not sure if he ever played in a NFL

game.

Also, a number of others from Ford era had invites to NFL camps; not sure if you want to count these or not?

I don't think anyone else was drafted. The punter was Paul Layton, who transferred to Temple, not Tenn., and was an undrafted free agent with Green Bay. His broadcaster sister Jessica married sportscaster Andrew Catalon.

Tight end Andre Coleman played two games with San Diego in 2009. TE Brian Parker played 9 games with KC in 2015 and 13 games with Denver in 2018.

Edited by UAalum72
  • Like 2

72, Thanks for filling in the blanks and helping my old grey cells as Hercule Poirot would say.  Layton with the Catalon connection and yes Temple; and Parker were/are exactly who I was remembering. Forgot about Coleman.

As you say, probably not drafted;  but definitely Fordie's that played in the NFL

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wikipedia lists Albany NFL connections (BOLD - NFL debut)

Dan Gmelin    1997    WR/PR    San Diego Chargers    
Seth Thomas    1997    TE    Carolina Panthers    
Matt Caliandro    1998    DE    Tennessee Titans    
Kurt Campbell    2005    LB    Green Bay Packers (Drafted 2005 – 7th Round); Oakland Raiders; Tennessee Titans    
Geir Gudmundsen    2005    OL    Buffalo Bills    
Andre Coleman    2007    DE    San Diego Chargers    09/15/09
Jacob Hobbs    2007    OG    Philadelphia Eagles    
Rashad Barksdale    2007    DB    Philadelphia Eagles (Drafted 2007– 6th Round); Kansas City Chiefs; New York Giants; New York Jets; Arizona Cardinals    10/07/07
Jon Morgan    2013    LB    Detroit Lions    
Drew Smith    2013    RB    Buffalo Bills    
Paul Layton    2014    P    Green Bay Packers    
Kadeem Williams    2014    OT    Arizona Cardinals    
Brian Parker    2015    TE    San Diego Chargers; Kansas City Chiefs; New York Jets; Denver Broncos    11/01/15
Abner Logan    2017    LB    Buffalo Bills    
Anthony Manzo-Lewis    2018    FB/TE    Los Angeles Chargers    
Juwan Green    2020    WR    Atlanta Falcons; Detroit Lions; Tennessee Titans    
Eli Mencer    2020    DL    Seattle Seahawks    
Jarren Williams    2020    DB    Arizona Cardinals; New York Giants    12/13/20
Thomas Greaney    2023    TE    Cleveland Browns

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Jared Verse has declared for the NFL draft and will opt out of playing in the Orange Bowl against Georgia. I wonder if he would have done the same if they were in the CFP. Can’t say that I blame him. He is staring at a possible top 10 draft pick so why risk blowing out a knee in a meaningless game? I’d like to think he’d have stayed if they made the playoffs, but the possibility of life changing money can be a strong incentive to stay healthy. 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...