UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Buffalo and Stony Brook designated SUNY flagships

reeder

23 hours ago, cwdickens said:

Politics as usual and campaigning for votes on Long Island and Western New York....silly having two "Flagship" schools....major difference UB and SBU has medical centers associated with these campuses.  

Awful.  I’ve dreaded this outcome for 20+ years.  

At the risk of being repetitive of my prior comments over the years, UAlbany has been on a decline since we lost the Nano College.  There are so many indicators documenting the decline… the decline is NOT an accident.  UAlbany’s decline is intentional.  I remember when this school was often interchanged with the other SUNY centers.  We are now Cal State to their UC.  Maybe that was the point of it all.  Creating a second tier

Edited by Michigan_Dane

19 hours ago, Jammaster said:

This would be really big for the school and the RIGHT move.  Shouldn't have been separated in the first place.  Greed by the NY politicians and that idiot who ran it are what caused the whole issue.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Michigan_Dane said:

Awful.  I’ve dreaded this outcome for 20+ years.  

At the risk of being repetitive of my prior comments over the years, UAlbany has been on a decline since we lost the Nano College.  There are so many indicators documenting the decline… the decline is NOT an accident.  UAlbany’s decline is intentional.  I remember when this school was often interchanged with the other SUNY centers.  We are now Cal State to their UC.  Maybe that was the point of it all.  Creating a second tier

When you say the decline was intentional... what was the goal, and why?

This got me looking...what is a flagship university ? Different definition depending on where one looks. There’s an organization called AAU, the Association of American Universities. Never heard of it, but it’s been around since 1900. In order to be added, 75% of the members must approve. It’s essentially the most prestigious universities, especially those with a research emphasis and the strength of their doctoral programs. There are 64 US universities on the roster. SBU and UB are the only two SUNY schools. It’s a pretty exclusive list. So, on that one metric alone, you might say they are the flagships. 

If I recall; before UA lost Nano, we were knocking on the door of AAU. Seems we were 7 votes short at one time. Also, UB has been a member for a while due to having medical school and law school affiliations. Brook like UA was on the outside looking in, because of issues with their so-called Law School; but I think those issues have been straightened out and they are now in.

After the Nano fiasco, the School of Engineering, closer affiliation with Albany law, and Emergency Preparedness were some suppose to supplement the loss of Nano; and be our ticket in. Except looks like we have actually lost ground.

May have some of my details incorrect, but the gist that we were once really close and now NOT, I believe is correct. Anyone, care to expand or correct me appreciated!

5 hours ago, jimbo said:

This got me looking...what is a flagship university ? Different definition depending on where one looks. There’s an organization called AAU, the Association of American Universities. Never heard of it, but it’s been around since 1900. In order to be added, 75% of the members must approve. It’s essentially the most prestigious universities, especially those with a research emphasis and the strength of their doctoral programs. There are 64 US universities on the roster. SBU and UB are the only two SUNY schools. It’s a pretty exclusive list. So, on that one metric alone, you might say they are the flagships. 

On 1/8/2022 at 3:36 PM, UA'08 said:

In the real world employers don’t care if you Stony Brook or Old Westbury. Congrats to Stony Brook and Buffalo being designated as “Flagships”.

It would be nice if this were universally true, but some places or professions absolutely weigh pedigree among their major hiring decisions.

• Like 1