UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB 2022-23 Preseason - News/Articles/Predictions/Chatter

Received an email from the Regional Food Bank of Northeastern New York concerning an UAlbany and Siena joint fundraiser.  Details below:

I hope you are doing well! I wanted to invite you to a special reception hosted by UAlbany and Siena in recognition of the return of the big game between UAlbany and Siena. The reception will benefit the Regional Food Bank and is sponsored by Broadview Federal Credit Union and NFP, Rose & Kiernan's Charitable Foundation. It's being held at the Crowne Plaza Albany Desmond Hotel on Thursday, November 3 from 6-8pm. The invitation is below and you can purchase tickets here. We hope you will be able to join us!

Sincerely,

Molly Nicol

CEO, Regional Food Bank of Northeastern New York

spacer-long.png
UAlbany%20-%20Siena%2011-3-2022.jpg?cb=2

On 10/18/2022 at 8:59 PM, Eli said:

I don't like that a group I've never given my email too had my email. Is UAlbany selling our contact info? 

.... doubt, that this not-for-profit purchased the UAlbany season ticket email list for this benefit ... I guess the University at Albany needs to be told that they need to draw the line in the sand when it comes to sharing our email addresses for such things as fighting food insecurity and Coaches vs. Cancer.  I am not certain if we every had opt out option about sharing personal information.

Considering everything that has occurred since the hiring of Dwayne Killings, which includes last season results, recruitment, the departure of all but one of assistant coaches and the need to discipline the coach, the sixth place is rather generous.  Now is up to Dwayne, his staff and more importantly the team to prove the other America East Coaches that UAlbany is better then a sixth place team

While this not directly connected to UAlbany and/or the America East Conference ... considering all our thoughts on coaches recently and the closeness to home may be worth following to learn the reason for departure just prior to the start of the season ... Does anyone know why the Manhattan MBB coach left?

RIVERDALE, N.Y. – Manhattan College men's basketball announced today that head coach Steve Masiello is leaving the school after 11 years. He will be replaced for the 2022-23 season by RaShawn Stores who will serve as interim head coach.

The only benefit from this exhibition game, our team has the opportunity to play against players that they have not seen before and nothing to lose ... the start of playing all the "major" schools in the Capital District other then Dr, Lee McElroy's Rensselaer basketball team ... likely would have said no if asked ... who knows more about UAlbany sports then our former AD

From today's Times - Union:

UAlbany to see first game action this season without Killings

• 2 weeks later...

Hartford men’s hoops coach exits

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2022%2F11%2F09&id=Pc0140700&ext=.jpg&ts=20221109085923

GALLAGHER

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2022%2F11%2F09&id=Pc0140800&ext=.jpg&ts=20221109085923

DEST

WEST HARTFORD, Conn. — Coach John Gallagher has resigned less than two years after leading the Hartford men’s basketball team to its first NCAA Tournament.

Gallagher, who was named head coach in 2010, sent his resignation letter to university President Greg Woodward on Monday, the eve of the first game of the season, which will be the school’s last at the Division I level.

In his letter, Gallagher said the school had consistently undermined the program “to the point where player safety and well-being has been jeopardized.” He cited a preseason scrimmage at Dartmouth in late October when one of his players was injured and wasn’t immediately tended to because the school did not send an athletic trainer with the team.

The university disputed Gallagher’s claims, saying in a statement they were “full of inaccuracies.”

The university said it would announce an interim coach for the men’s basketball program.

Gallagher’s departure comes as the university prepares to transition to Division III after this season.

Inevitable Gallagaher would have to resign. He really should have done so when Hartford declared the DI to DIII move. "MAYBE" commendable that he stuck around and fought to keep the move from happening. But ultimately he may have hurt his chances of getting another DI coaching job; by being an administration rebel; and finally leaving in a cloud of "he said--they said." Never liked him much, acted a crazy person on the sidelines, and seemed insincere in post & pregame interviews IMHO. But while you/I  might admire the "good fight" he put up, ultimately IMHO he could have cut off his nose to spite his face as the saying goes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dslyank said:

Inevitable Gallagaher would have to resign. He really should have done so when Hartford declared the DI to DIII move. "MAYBE" commendable that he stuck around and fought to keep the move from happening. But ultimately he may have hurt his chances of getting another DI coaching job; by being an administration rebel; and finally leaving in a cloud of "he said--they said." Never liked him much, acted a crazy person on the sidelines, and seemed insincere in post & pregame interviews IMHO. But while you/I  might admire the "good fight" he put up, ultimately IMHO he could have cut off his nose to spite his face as the saying goes.

Perhaps to honor his contract and perhaps, Hartford had agreed to pay Gallagher a retention bonus if he stayed until the end of the season.  Yes, I am surprised he did not end up someplace else sooner.  The Manhattan College position just opened up, easy commute from Hartford.

1 hour ago, cwdickens said:

Perhaps to honor his contract and perhaps, Hartford had agreed to pay Gallagher a retention bonus if he stayed until the end of the season.  Yes, I am surprised he did not end up someplace else sooner.  The Manhattan College position just opened up, easy commute from Hartford.

Nope...there is so much more to this story.  In speaking to a bunch of folks in the community, everyone agrees what Hartford has done is unconscionable.  However, it has been universal that what Gallagher has done is basically to set up his MULTIPLE lawsuits.  He is not going to come out of this looking great.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dane96 said:

Nope...there is so much more to this story.  In speaking to a bunch of folks in the community, everyone agrees what Hartford has done is unconscionable.  However, it has been universal that what Gallagher has done is basically to set up his MULTIPLE lawsuits.  He is not going to come out of this looking great.  

If his intentions are to pursue legal actions against The University of Hartford, with the hopes of recovering a sum of money will make him seriously less marketable to other DI schools.  As I said earlier, I do not understand why he did not move on sooner, in particular with a number of openings for a head coach that open up each spring in DI.

He has a case with some of the items he has lawsuits over. How his intentions can be spun will be the deciding factor in his marketability as a head coach. Was he sticking up for athletics, the students/alumni, and the players in addition to himself or is it all a purely selfish response to a hard choice a university had to make.

While I have always hated Gal on the court for his antics, he did build a winner after years of mediocrity and seemed to make Hartford a place that many players felt connected to and welcoming. He was loyal to the program and his players by staying for a year in the AE after learning it was their last year. If you can say that he was true to the neighborhood until the school made it impossible then I can't see why an AD wouldn't want to take a chance on the recruiting story with a short term contract.

It's really a shame how that whole thing went down. It may have been an economic necessity for the school, it could have been handled way better and without the absolute corruption that occurred.

I wouldn't want Gal to be the next coach at UA when DK leaves, but that's because I watched him as an opponent and he can be obnoxious. I could see how a fan might love it.

(Clarification: I don't want DK to leave, I just know it's likely he is only in Albany for a few years. I assume if he wins he moves up to a bigger conference within a few seasons and I really hope that happens for him and the school. Although I guess if he doesn't win, the school will keep him. We've seen that storyline.... Right now I'm excited for the season and the trajectory.)

Edited by godanesgo99