UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB: 10/30: Exhibition Game Vs. Skidmore - 3:00pm @ HVCC

Can't make it today due to a family commitment but I'd love to know how it goes. Anyone know if it's being streamed or broadcast anywhere?

Game 1 of the DK suspension.

While it's not a real game, I think it deserves its own thread like any other GameDay thread...

Edited by godanesgo99

Looking completely out of sorts.  Will Brown teams seemed to lack the talent later in his tenor, but they were always prepared.  Could always see what they were trying to do.  

Not so much with this team.  Even last year there were several times where I just said ....what is going on?

Have a long way to go.  We will see.  

Edited by UA1882
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

About 75 people in the stands as the game’s about to start

2 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

Lol, that's pretty pathetic. I mean I knows it's not a real game and all, but it is two local schools.

For month-end October, the weather today qualifies as a bonus day.  The Jet fans stayed home watching a game, then wishing they went to the basketball game.  Like many others, I enjoyed being outside and because I felt that there was little value from watching this game

Edited by cwdickens

44 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

The score/results of this game don't really matter in anyway....

How did the team play style wise? 71 points against a D3 school screams poor offense. Did they run and gun? Play deliberately? Any players stand out?

Exactly. This is a good post. What rotations were tried.  How did the newcomers look. Etc. that’s the big takeaway stuff.  

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-struggles-but-emerges-with-exhibition-win-17545541.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=share-by-email&utm_medium=email

UAlbany struggles but emerges with exhibition win over Skidmore

Oct. 30, 2022

TROY — The biggest takeaway from the University at Albany men’s basketball team’s 71-69 exhibition win over Skidmore?“We need to tighten up our defense,” said Bobby Jordan, filling in as head coach while Dwayne Killings is suspended. “It takes some time to gel offensively, but defense we just need to be a little bit tighter in what we do, how we communicate out there on the floor.”

The Great Danes trailed for much of the game against the Division III Thoroughbreds, never holding anything more than a two-point lead until graduate guard Da’Kquan Davis was fouled shooting a 3-pointer and went 2-for-3 from the line to give UAlbany a 53-49 advantage with 9:34 left. UAlbany extended the lead to 71-64 off a layup from freshman forward Jonathan Beagle with just over 90 seconds left, but Skidmore never went away, ending on a 5-0 run with baskets from Jake Walsh and Harrison Eichelberger. Walsh and Riley Greene both missed shots in the final seconds.

“We got to get better at rebounding and we got to get better at free throws,” said senior forward Gerald Drumgoole Jr., who had 19 points on 8-for-13 shooting and led the team with eight rebounds. “We left a lot of possessions on the court where we could have made that two-point win into a 10-point win. ”The Great Danes had 37 rebounds to Skidmore’s 31 and went 12-for-23 from the foul line.

“Although they gave us a tough run, we stayed together, and that’s what makes a team a tough team,” Davis said. “It’s about all the little things — crashing the boards, taking charges, getting deflections, all those little things — and I think when the game got down to the last couple minutes, I think we did that.”

“We came in with the idea to compete and to be there at the end, and we were there at the end. But we needed one more play,” said Skidmore coach Joe Burke.

Davis led all scores with 20 points on 6-for-17 shooting, 2-for-4 from behind the arc. He also went 6-for-10 from the free throw line.“Really just staying with the game, bringing a veteran presence is kind of what he did today. He calmed us down in the huddles, he calmed the team down on the court,” Jordan said of Davis.

It had been a while since Davis or Drumgoole had seen the court — Davis sat out at Division III Arcadia to preserve his eligibility, and Drumgoole appeared in one game for UAlbany before suffering a knee injury.  “We had to shake off the rust,” Davis said.

Sophomore guard Will Amica, who hadn’t seen game action since February 2021, played for 17 minutes, scoring two points and recording a rebound, two steals, two turnovers and three fouls.

UAlbany is smaller this year, and that showed against Skidmore, which boasts several players 6-foot-7 or taller.“We got to do a better job of ball movement and body movement” to make up for the height difference, Jordan said. “I thought that we were kind of stagnant in the first half and that kind of slowed down our offense, but in the second half, we had better ball movement, better body movement.”

Beagle, UAlbany’s tallest player at 6-9, was limited in minutes due to a knee injury but had nine points on 4-for-5 shooting in 21 minutes. Fellow freshman Marcus Jackson had seven points on 2-for-4 shooting, three assists and three steals in 31 minutes. UAlbany was missing Justin Neely to a shoulder injury, Malik Edmead to an ankle injury sustained Saturday and Aaron Reddish to a violation of team rules. Reddish and Neely are both expected to be back for Wednesday’s exhibition against Saint Rose, Jordan said.

• Thanks 1

Sounding the alarm at this point may be premature however; a few people have raised concerns on the forum and to me personally about the direction this team is headed.  The Times - Union article pointed a real concern about free throw shooting, injuries and an inability to abide by team rules.  I have not had an opportunity to see this team practice and/or play however; I will be in attendance on Wednesday for the St. Rose game and first hand look at this team.  Skidmore may have turn out to be a wake up call; I am hoping the St. Rose game is not a cold dose of reality.

Edited by cwdickens
clarification

Starting the season with three players injured and one out due to a rules violation is not a positive sign. Skidmore is a pretty good team and has oodles of height...including a pair of brothers who go 6-10 and 6-11. Seems like kind of a cop out to me when the coach gets to sit out 80% of his suspension against D2 and D3 competition including two exhibitions. But what do I know? 

• Like 1