UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game #22: 1/25/23 - 5PM at New Hampshire

Eli

You know your MBB program cannot fall any further from being relevant until the story writer is listed as staff reports and buried on page 5 and below the crease.

NEW HAMPSHIRE 84, UALBANY 65

Danes lose their fourth straight, falling to UNH

Sports staff

The University at Albany dropped an 84-65 decision to host New Hampshire on Wednesday in a men’s basketball contest at Lundholm Gymnasium in Durham, N.H.

The Great Danes have lost four straight and fell to 1-6 in America East Conference play. UAlbany now sits at 6-16 overall.

New Hampshire held a slim 30-26 advantage with 4 minutes, 25 seconds left before halftime but used a 10-3 run to close the half and take a commanding 11-point lead.

The situation did not improve for the Great Danes in the second half as the Wildcats widened the gap and ran away with the victory. Clarence Daniels’ slam dunk with 10:10 remaining increased the lead to 21 points, 61-40, the biggest of the night.

Kyree Brown scored 23 points, Matthew Herasme added 22 points and Daniels finished with 12 points and 17 rebounds to lead New Hampshire, which improved to 9-10 and 4-3 in league action with the win.

Marcus Jackson had 15 points along with five rebounds to lead the Danes. Sarju Patel chipped in with 14 points for UAlbany.

The Great Danes return to action on Saturday against rival Maine in Troy with tip-off set for 7 p.m.

On 1/25/2023 at 7:13 PM, Dane96 said:

Let me simplify it for you, as I have been staying quiet for a bit:  TERRIBLE COACHING.  Full Stop, end discussion.  At 400k, we should not be in the business of letting a coach figure out how to coach at the D1 level.  I totally agree that a healthy Amica, Neely, and a head on straight Little would give us a boost...but it is a boost that is about 2 spots.

Agree 100%. Seems like an awful lot of money to pay for what basically was/is an untested commodity? Don’t really know at this point whether DK can coach or not. Lack of talent certainly can be blamed on someone reportedly was a great recruiter. Normally can’t blame injuries on the coach, but what he does to overcome them, certainly can be blamed. Anyhow, if going with an untested new coach, should certainly come will some financial advantages. So whether DK ultimately proves he can coach or not; can survive a player “assault “; IMHO falls on the man who hired him!

On 1/25/2023 at 8:41 PM, B9j2j6s said:

I was a Sophmore during Coach Brown second season so I remember the team being bad and injured but i dont remember much else.  Is this season comparable to that one?  Yes I know Brown wasn't dealing with civil and criminal litigation.  Just curious seem to remember Jamar being hurt and we had no height. 

It's kind of funny you brought this up because this year is kind of comparable to those years. 

I don't want to disparage the players in the early years of D1 because those guys played hard and won some games they probably shouldn't have.

The thing I remember from those years is that when we started bringing in guys who were clearly legitimate D1 players, it was pretty recognizable in the P+G games. Not just Jamar, but Levi Levine and Iati and later Lillis and Wilson. You could kind of see us going up the later recruit-wise.

Once we got the full roster of guys, Jamar was clearly better, but there wasn't such a huge gulf between him and the rest of the team like at the beginning of his career. This team is a little more like those early years where it's Drumgoole and Beagle and then there's a dropoff (in my opinion.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dane Pound said:

Once we got the full roster of guys, Jamar was clearly better, but there wasn't such a huge gulf between him and the rest of the team like at the beginning of his career. This team is a little more like those early years where it's Drumgoole and Beagle and then there's a dropoff (in my opinion.)

We can debate the talent level of the rest of the team all day, but even though he is injured you have to include Neely in the list of players that are clearly talented enough to be D1 starters or even stars at the mid-major level. 

I've already said my opinion on the rest of the team in this thread, and I'm higher on almost everyone than it seems the rest of the world is, but my purple and gold glasses are pretty damn thick. 

A team should be able to compete for at least the middle of the pack with just those 3 and a team of "average" or "developing"  players with the right coach. DK is clearly not that guy yet. Although I've lost my positivity on this team, I still think DK can do it. I keep telling myself... Have patience it takes 3 years to get it right. It took Brown 5.

Edited by godanesgo99

47 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

We can debate the talent level of the rest of the team all day, but even though he is injured you have to include Neely in the list of players that are clearly talented enough to be D1 starters or even stars at the mid-major level. 

I've already said my opinion on the rest of the team in this thread, and I'm higher on almost everyone than it seems the rest of the world is, but my purple and gold glasses are pretty damn thick. 

A team should be able to compete for at least the middle of the pack with just those 3 and a team of "average" or "developing"  players with the right coach. DK is clearly not that guy yet. Although I've lost my positivity on this team, I still think DK can do it. I keep telling myself... Have patience it takes 3 years to get it right. It took Brown 5.

You can't field a decent team without a half decent point guard...what he have is $iena and no one to organize anything on the court. 

You can also stay in a lot of games if you play defense...defense is mostly IQ and effort...something else they lack. 

It's a $iena team! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Clickclack said:

You can't field a decent team without a half decent point guard...what he have is $iena and no one to organize anything on the court. 

You can also stay in a lot of games if you play defense...defense is mostly IQ and effort...something else they lack. 

It's a $iena team! 

I'm with you on the defense bit. There isn't even a screen door on the bottom of the boat to stop the flow of water. Even Flex Seal can't stop them from sinking.

While everyone is down on them, we have the bodies at PG with Davis, Edmead, Jackson, Little, and Amica. Two of them are hurt, and while I think the other three have the talent, I don't think DK has done anything to drill an offensive system and team first "mentality" into anyone on the team. As Dane96 said, the failures all seem to stem from a lack of coaching. It's like he just hands them ball and says go shoot if you are open. My 8th grade son plays in a league that has no practices and is basically a pick up league with set teams. The coach might instruct on an in bounds play, but he's really just there to handle subs. Their offense looks similar to UAs with similar movement. I'd hope a D1 team would look more fluid than 8th grade kids thrown together without a plan.

Have any of the teams assistants ever really run a program and installed an offensive system? Were any of them point guards? I don't think so. We need to bring back our beloved free throw coach for Beagle and hire an XOs assistant that played PG to put a real system in place.

Edit: looked at the coaches backgrounds

Madhavapallil didn't play at the college level and was a team manager as a student. His background reads more of an operations guy than a system guy.

Bobby Jordan was a guard for Drexel that played under 10 minutes total in 4 years on the team, scoring 2 total points. He was then a high school coach and college assistant. His ties to Philadelphia are what got him the job. Maybe he has a playbook to use? No idea, but if he does he should speak up.

Ryan Daly has a fairly impressive background as a player, but he played the 3.  Had some impressive years and played in the G league. I didn't realize he was as accomplished as he was. Seems like a great hire there. Should be a good recruiter and coach on the staff, but it doesn't read like he's your design the offense guy though.

Anyway, none of them seem to be coaches with a history of designing an offensive system. I go back to the above and say if DK is ever going to become the coach we all wish he could be, he needs to hire a XO guy to design the system and get the most out of what he has.

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

I'm with you on the defense bit. There isn't even a screen door on the bottom of the boat to stop the flow of water. Even Flex Seal can't stop them from sinking.

While everyone is down on them, we have the bodies at PG with Davis, Edmead, Jackson, Little, and Amica. Two of them are hurt, and while I think the other three have the talent, I don't think DK has done anything to drill an offensive system and team first "mentality" into anyone on the team. As Dane96 said, the failures all seem to stem from a lack of coaching. It's like he just hands them ball and says go shoot if you are open. My 8th grade son plays in a league that has no practices and is basically a pick up league with set teams. The coach might instruct on an in bounds play, but he's really just there to handle subs. Their offense looks similar to UAs with similar movement. I'd hope a D1 team would look more fluid than 8th grade kids thrown together without a plan.

Have any of the teams assistants ever really run a program and installed an offensive system? Were any of them point guards? I don't think so. We need to bring back our beloved free throw coach for Beagle and hire an XOs assistant that played PG to put a real system in place.

Edit: looked at the coaches backgrounds

Madhavapallil didn't play at the college level and was a team manager as a student. His background reads more of an operations guy than a system guy.

Bobby Jordan was a guard for Drexel that played under 10 minutes total in 4 years on the team, scoring 2 total points. He was then a high school coach and college assistant. His ties to Philadelphia are what got him the job. Maybe he has a playbook to use? No idea, but if he does he should speak up.

Ryan Daly has a fairly impressive background as a player, but he played the 3.  Had some impressive years and played in the G league. I didn't realize he was as accomplished as he was. Seems like a great hire there. Should be a good recruiter and coach on the staff, but it doesn't read like he's your design the offense guy though.

Anyway, none of them seem to be coaches with a history of designing an offensive system. I go back to the above and say if DK is ever going to become the coach we all wish he could be, he needs to hire a XO guy to design the system and get the most out of what he has.

Kellogg averaged 7 and 4 in a way better horizon league. For the life of me can’t understand how he gets as little burn as he does for his size and length. 

• Like 2

On 1/28/2023 at 11:34 AM, UA'08 said:

Kellogg averaged 7 and 4 in a way better horizon league. For the life of me can’t understand how he gets as little burn as he does for his size and length. 

I don't get this one either, this guy can't even get on the court for a team that is as small as this one. How horrible can he possibly be and why can't DK get anything out of him? Granted, he's looked lost the few times he's been out there. 

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Clickclack said:

I don't get this one either, this guy can't even get on the court for a team that is as small as this one. How horrible can he possibly be and why can't DK get anything out of him? Granted, he's looked lost the few times he's been out there. 

A head coach needs to know how to motivate, teach and direct a group of players on how to execute on a game plan.  In my opinion, these are skill sets that Coach Killing has failed in and/or demonstrate any competency.