UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game 31 / Conference Game 16 Feb 28 (Tue) 7:00 PM Burlington, VT Patrick Gymnasium "Is This a New Beginning or Just the End?"

Does UVM play their roster with intention of resting their best to stay healthy for the playoffs? Would they rather play UA for a second consecutive game at home, or see NJIT come to town? Is it possible to beat UVM twice in a week with both games at Patrick? 

Absolutely love watching March basketball when its win or go home. While this is still regular season and still February, it will be the second straight "March" game for UA.  

I see the Catamounts running the Great Danes out of town and taking personal satisfaction from eliminating the Great Danes for the AE Tournament.   Green and Gold Pride is on the line, as will as a full house of fans in Patrick Gym.  Further, the Catamounts are looking to avoid having to play in the First Four Game if they are the AE champs

Lastly the Vermont fans will say "Yeh, you BPF posters, keep your comments about the Catamount MBB program to yourself, you have problems of your own program."

2 hours ago, cwdickens said:

I see the Catamounts running the Great Danes out of town and taking personal satisfaction from eliminating the Great Danes for the AE Tournament.   Green and Gold Pride is on the line, as will as a full house of fans in Patrick Gym.  Further, the Catamounts are looking to avoid having to play in the First Four Game if they are the AE champs

Lastly the Vermont fans will say "Yeh, you BPF posters, keep your comments about the Catamount MBB program to yourself, you have problems of your own program."

Lol to the Catamount fans. 

Our coach tried to fire up players who were playing lazy and not living up to their potential. His method on how he tried to accomplish that is what has been debated. Right or wrong, he was at least trying to help his team win. No further comments on his methods and if they deserve dismissal or not.

Vermont leadership, including their coaches, covered up and silenced the accusations of the rape of at least one student athlete, rumored to be more than one, by their star player, and rumored to be other players involved. Covered up a team culture of rape and abuse. Regardless of if the accusations were true or not, the school completely dismissed the accusations and told the accuser(s) to stay in her lane and not push the issue because of the potential damage to the school and the star player.

The two issues are not even remotely the same. It's crazy that so far there seems to be no penalties at all for the UVM program, and everything seems to be swept under the rug. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

Lol to the Catamount fans. 

Our coach tried to fire up players who were playing lazy and not living up to their potential. His method on how he tried to accomplish that is what has been debated. Right or wrong, he was at least trying to help his team win. No further comments on his methods and if they deserve dismissal or not.

Vermont leadership, including their coaches, covered up and silenced the accusations of the rape of at least one student athlete, rumored to be more than one, by their star player, and rumored to be other players involved. Covered up a team culture of rape and abuse. Regardless of if the accusations were true or not, the school completely dismissed the accusations and told the accuser(s) to stay in her lane and not push the issue because of the potential damage to the school and the star player.

The two issues are not even remotely the same. It's crazy that so far there seems to be no penalties at all for the UVM program, and everything seems to be swept under the rug. 

Sadly, once again, godanesgo99, you are wrong.  Both the UAlbany and the Vermont incident involve unwanted physical contact.  Perhaps, the difference you allude to is the fact that no criminal charges have been filed to date in the Vermont case (to the best of my knowledge).  Both cases are similar that both individuals alleging wrongdoing will have a chance of presenting their cases in civil court. 

Further, how the UAlbany handled Killings case is drawing much needed attention.  I have been of the opinion that the adults present at the time of the incident were not fully forthcoming in what they witnessed and took the opportunity between seasons to seek new employment.

I am of the opinion that Dwayne Killing could not fire up a CYO team.  For his methods, again, I am of the opinion he has none.

Just my opinion, let the GReat Danes and the Catamounts play the game and see what the outcome is.

Edited by cwdickens

UALBANY MEN’S BASKETBALL

Playoff spot on the line

By Abigail Rubel

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F02%2F28&id=Pc0070500&ext=.jpg&ts=20230228071346
Hans Pennink / Times Union

UAlbany graduate guard Sarju Patel scored a career-high 25 points with five 3-pointers in the Danes’ 82-68 victory over NJIT on Saturday night.

ALBANY — David against Goliath? Not quite, but close.

The University at Albany men’s basketball team is undoubtedly the underdog in its regular-season finale at Vermont.

The Catamounts are on an 11-game winning streak and clinched their seventh-straight America East title last week. The Great Danes (8-22, 3-12 league) haven’t won two games in a row all season and need to beat Vermont (19-10, 13-2) to have any hope of making the postseason tournament.

“Our record is our record, but the opportunity we have in front of us is tremendous,” UAlbany coach Dwayne Killings said he told his team. “We can make a huge statement for our team, for our program, for our kids.”

UAlbany and Vermont tip off at 7 p.m. Tuesday.

In addition to beating Vermont, UAlbany also needs an NJIT loss at New Hampshire to make the playoffs as the 8-seed.

“We can’t control it, so I don’t think it’s scary right now,” freshman forward Jonathan Beagle said. “We just got to control what we can control.”

NJIT can clinch the final postseason spot with a win, while the Wildcats are fighting for a top-four seed (though they’re not guaranteed one even if they win).

UAlbany has only beaten Vermont once since 2016, a one-point win in Burlington during the COVID-impacted 2020-21 season at which no fans were allowed.

This season, Vermont leads the America East in home-game attendance, averaging 2,285 fans per game. (UAlbany is fourth with an average of 1,247 fans.) And with Vermont holding its Senior Night ceremony Tuesday, Patrick Gymnasium is guaranteed to be louder than ever.

“It’s going to be loud, it’s going to be packed, so we’re all excited,” Beagle said.

The Great Danes kept their playoff hopes alive Saturday night with an 82-68 win against NJIT on Senior Night. Fifth-year guard Sarju Patel scored a career-high 25 points, going 5-for-8 from 3, and Beagle added 17 points and 13 rebounds.

UAlbany ended the first half with a 13-0 run, which started with back-to-back 3s from Patel, to lead by 12 at halftime and pushed the lead to as much as 20 in the second half, though NJIT closed within 10 late in the game.

The Great Danes need to carry the confidence from their win Saturday with them to Vermont, Beagle said.

“We just got to go in there with discipline. I think the past couple games we’ve played with more discipline, confidence,” he said. UAlbany is 2-1 in their last three games, beating UMBC before losing at Maine by two points.

Beagle’s effort against NJIT earned him a ninth Rookie of the Week award, two more than the previous UAlbany record of seven set by Jon Iati in 2003-04. The America East record is 10, set by Boston University’s Tunji Awojobi in 1993-94.

Though none of Vermont’s scorers crack the top 10 in the America East in points per game, the Catamounts are a well-rounded group. Fifth-year guard Finn Sullivan leads the team with 12.6 points per game, and fifth-year guard Dylan Penn (12.4 ppg) and senior guard Aaron Deloney

(11.3 ppg) also average double-digits.

“On the defensive end, we just need to communicate and put forth effort, and then offensively I think just similar stuff to NJIT. We were just trusting each other,” Patel said.

UAlbany at Vermont

■› When: 7 p.m. Tuesday

■› Where: Patrick Gymnasium, Burlington, Vt.

■› Stream: ESPN+; Radio: WTMM 104.5 FM ▶› Abigail.Rubel@- timesunion.com A @abigail_rubel

3 hours ago, cwdickens said:

Sadly, once again, godanesgo99, you are wrong.  Both the UAlbany and the Vermont incident involve unwanted physical contact.  Perhaps, the difference you allude to is the fact that no criminal charges have been filed to date in the Vermont case (to the best of my knowledge).  Both cases are similar that both individuals alleging wrongdoing will have a chance of presenting their cases in civil court. 

Further, how the UAlbany handled Killings case is drawing much needed attention.  I have been of the opinion that the adults present at the time of the incident were not fully forthcoming in what they witnessed and took the opportunity between seasons to seek new employment.

I am of the opinion that Dwayne Killing could not fire up a CYO team.  For his methods, again, I am of the opinion he has none.

Just my opinion, let the GReat Danes and the Catamounts play the game and see what the outcome is.

WOW. No matter how wrong I may be on the actions of DK, how can you equate the two events? Even if the DK situation was a million times worse than what we have been told and it really was an all out assault and brutal beating in the locker room, it is still no where close to a RAPE.

DK admitted there was some inappropriate contact, paid a fine, and was suspended for 5 games. This may not have been enough in the opinion of many people here, but that is your opinion, and not everyone's. It's what the internal investigation decided on.

How it is even close to covering up an accusation of a rape and administrators telling a woman, while in her time of need and who had just gathered courage to make that accusation, that she should "Shut up and let it go so it doesn't hurt the school, force a suspension of a star player, hurt the teams record and chances at the NCAA tournament, and/or reduce attendance at basketball games." Then never say anything about it publicly and cover it up, until that girl sues the NCAA and the school over the event. 

You make me laugh with your vendetta against our coach and failure to see the difference. Apparently you are just jealous because UVM has been winning and UA hasn't.

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

WOW. No matter how wrong I may be on the actions of DK, how can you equate the two events? Even if the DK situation was a million times worse than what we have been told and it really was an all out assault and brutal beating in the locker room, it is still no where close to a RAPE.

DK admitted there was some inappropriate contact, paid a fine, and was suspended for 5 games. This may not have been enough in the opinion of many people here, but that is your opinion, and not everyone's. It's what the internal investigation decided on.

How it is even close to covering up an accusation of a rape and administrators telling a woman, while in her time of need and who had just gathered courage to make that accusation, that she should "Shut up and let it go so it doesn't hurt the school, force a suspension of a star player, hurt the teams record and chances at the NCAA tournament, and/or reduce attendance at basketball games." Then never say anything about it publicly and cover it up, until that girl sues the NCAA and the school over the event. 

You make me laugh with your vendetta against our coach and failure to see the difference. Apparently you are just jealous because UVM has been winning and UA hasn't.

We are entitled to our respected opinions, so as Willie Nelson would say "Just roll it and smoke it".   As you do not know me, let me tell you something.  I have followed UVM sports, long before UAlbany considered going D1 ... loved their hockey team... learned one thing from their sport past... being perfect in the regular season ...does not lead to success in the NCAA Tournament ....ask the UVM WBB .... further UVM has demonstrated how to stick with a coach  .... ask Tom Brennan ... sadly, no sports program is perfect ... you are just going on to cover up UAlbany issues

14 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

We are entitled to our respected opinions, so as Willie Nelson would say "Just roll it and smoke it".   As you do not know me, let me tell you something.  I have followed UVM sports, long before UAlbany considered going D1 ... loved their hockey team... learned one thing from their sport past... being perfect in the regular season ...does not lead to success in the NCAA Tournament ....ask the UVM WBB .... further UVM has demonstrated how to stick with a coach  .... ask Tom Brennan ... sadly, no sports program is perfect ... you are just going on to cover up UAlbany issues

I'll roll it and smoke it in your honor while watching the game tonight. So happy for you following UVM long before UA considered a move to D1. I rooted against their hockey team and all of Hockey East as a Clarkson/ECAC fan back in the day (80's and early 90's). We all have our backgrounds. 

Not covering up UA's issues, they are public and shed a poor light on the university. I wish they would go away and we'd find out what really happened, the court cases were done and we could move on: either with DK as coach, or with him fired so we can start another rebuild. The difference here is UA didn't cover it up. They suspended the coach during the investigation, then made a public announcement, issued a suspension and forced a fine. DK issued an apology. It wasn't enough in many people's opinions, but as you said, we are all entitled to our opinions.  UVM hid it all and told the accuser to shut her mouth. 

Enough about these unfortunate incidents and lets root for a good game tonight. Win lose or draw, I am happy with the effort the team has put together to end the season. Could very easily be riding a 4 game winning streak into this final game. Beat Bing all game only to fold at the end of regulation and then lose badly in OT, beat UMBC easily, could have won at Maine without a bad turnover at the exact wrong moment, then beat NJIT easily. Hopefully those games have built confidence and they can play well tonight. At the very least the season is ending with some positive momentum. 

Edited by godanesgo99

Yup. Watching. Amazing play for UA on the block, dive and breakaway layup. They’re trying. How do you beat a team that’s hitting 59% FG and 50%+ from 3?? And contested 3s. UVM is just way better talent wise and coaching wise. Maybe they’ll close it up in the second half, but I doubt it. 

5 minutes ago, dslyank said:

Anybody watching? Anybody care? 
No Talent. No Offense. No Defense. No way to win.

ps Njit up 7 at 1/2

Couldn't care less. I just read the threads to see the hilarious takes of everyone who expects something other than a dumpster fire and see how the thread unfolds lol. 

• Like 2