UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Women’s Rowing- UAlbany’s Official 19th sport

Dane96

1 hour ago, Dane96 said:

Announcement was made a little while ago, women’s rowing is the official 19th sport of the University.  This is an excellent move by the athletic department.

Absolutely....was thinking a spring sport however: I know rowing teams have meets in the fall and the spring.  Well, now I have an excuse to go to The Head of the Fish - Saratoga Regatta. 

• Thanks 1

Head of the fish is awesome. But head of Charles is next level.  I literally live about a five minute walk from the finish line.  Anyone who hasn’t been, should come if we participate   I expect us to participate. 

I wonder if they will use the boats that the SA took away from the club team.  The AD has been talking about adding womens rowing for over  20 years.  When we were doing our recruitments as a club team we often would reference this as a possibility.  Glad UA women rowing is back in the athletic department offerings.  Wonder if the men club team will be allowed to come back.

Edited by B9j2j6s

3 hours ago, Dane96 said:

Head of the fish is awesome. But head of Charles is next level.  I literally live about a five minute walk from the finish line.  Anyone who hasn’t been, should come if we participate   I expect us to participate. 

When we were a club team we got one automatic bid each year.  Hopefully we get more boats in because of our D1 status.  Super excited to see rowing back at UA.

52 minutes ago, kikuria said:

MAAC is most logical.  The "club" team was running in that circle already.  And doing well.

Agreed.  Was discussing this a few CAA folks. Most of NU’s meets are local.  Albany has enough comp to not have to leave New England and MAAC territory.  So to be attached to the CAA just for the championship may not be a necessary thing.  They said, I think the MAAC has 10 schools. Not sure if adding another is too many for them. 

My guess is the CAA, they just had there championships at Fish Creek.  UA administration would probably prefer races against UConn, Northeastern, Delaware, Nova and Drexel.  Although we would be much more successful starting out against MAAC competition.  Bummed Buffalo got rid of their team.

8 hours ago, Dane96 said:

Agreed.  Was discussing this a few CAA folks. Most of NU’s meets are local.  Albany has enough comp to not have to leave New England and MAAC territory.  So to be attached to the CAA just for the championship may not be a necessary thing.  They said, I think the MAAC has 10 schools. Not sure if adding another is too many for them. 

Last I checked there were 7 or 8 MAAC schools sponsoring women's rowing.  May have the details a bit off though.

Edited by kikuria
Correction

3 hours ago, kikuria said:

Last I checked there were 7 or 8 MAAC schools sponsoring women's rowing.  May have the details a bit off though.

Here is the list of MAAC teams this past season:

Fairfield, Iona, Marist, Jacksonville, Drake, Stetson, LIU, Manhatten, Canisius, Robert Morris, Sacred Heart.  So two in FL and one in Iowa 😲.  

Jacksonville University, my daughters alma mater, is the cream of the crop, won last 2 MAAC titles and did well in NCAAs.  Seen the facilities on the St John's River, can see why they are big time.