UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

1 hour ago, HOF2013 said:

I have a total of 18 so far - ALSO:  Van Weber QB Rutherford, NY HS,  Nwogo UGA, RB Worcester Academy, Boston,  Zakar Morris Iona Prep,  DL Devin Harper LB Lackawanna,  Ervin Wiggins DB - HS Rochester.  This is not counting the two who comiitted but were not official through the coaches.  Trey Lindsey did tell me he'd see me at "winter" workouts  - not sure what that means.

My GUT is that there are 2 - maybe 3 - kids who will be committing after the beginnig of the regular period - Feb 7 I believe.

Sorry, i should have stated Portal Gains.  It's a similar response I provided on AGS.  This was not about our full class but Portal Gains.  My fault for not explaining.

Interesting about Lindsey.  If true, the QB room is looking really good.  I think Lindsey can push Burkett. 

16 hours ago, Dane96 said:

Sorry, i should have stated Portal Gains.  It's a similar response I provided on AGS.  This was not about our full class but Portal Gains.  My fault for not explaining.

Interesting about Lindsey.  If true, the QB room is looking really good.  I think Lindsey can push Burkett. 

I see. Coach Gatusso loves the portal - it has worked well of U Albany - we'll see how it works this year - look like a great class.  Harper is a transfer from Lackawanna  -  In any case there are 18 guys committed and signed.   All the QB's would need lots of reps with the first team.............My guess is that the Freshman will be redshirted.   

Edited by HOF2013
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

I see. Coach Gatusso loves the portal - it has worked well of U Albany - we'll see how it works this year - look like a great class.  Harper is a transfer from Lackawanna  -  In any case there are 18 guys committed and signed.   All the QB's would need lots of reps with the first team.............My guess is that the Freshman will be redshirted.   

You have made the best statement how UAlbany Football came to be a top 5 team this past year and how UAlbany Football will operate as long as Greg Gatusso is here.  I am surprised one other men's sport has used the portal more frequently.

2 hours ago, cwdickens said:

You have made the best statement how UAlbany Football came to be a top 5 team this past year and how UAlbany Football will operate as long as Greg Gatusso is here.  I am surprised one other men's sport has used the portal more frequently.

He brought in Jared Ambrose as Offensive Coordinator and Associate Head Coach. He has been on two or three national championsip teams - he was Joe Flacco's college QB coach too.  VERY well respected.  I think he brought definite philosophy aned influence on how to use the portal and bring in guys from other programs.  All of the FBS schools and the top FCS schools all do it. More other schools are doing it now too. 

There have been at least a couple transfers in each year on the men's lacrosse team.  Lacrosse has large teams but far, far fewer scholarships.  ALL the D I programs can only offer 12.6 .  Doesn't matter the school.  However the top schools historically have MANY other types of financial aids they can give.

Edited by HOF2013

9 hours ago, Dane96 said:

WTF  wonder if he wasn't getting a full ride. Either way, bad look for him

Absolutely NOT a good look........

Connor Henderson @c33hendo  Grad Transfer Linebacker - Cornell University, 6'1 230
 Thank you God! excited to receive an offer from Albany!  

Edited by HOF2013

FOOTBALL

CBA star Jones set to attend UAlbany

By James Allen

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2024%2F02%2F01&id=Pc0140900&ext=.jpg&ts=20240201072425
Kelly Marsh/Times Union archive

CBA’s Donald Jones played quarterback, running back and receiver on offense this past season, and safety on defense.

Donald Jones recently completed a tremendous three-year varsity football career at Christian Brothers Academy, were he was the lead component to the Brothers winning three straight Section II Class AA championships. When he begins his college career, Jones will not be far away as he has decided to compete next for the University at Albany.

Jones, named the Times Union’s Large School Offensive Athlete of the Year in 2021, 2022 and 2023, played quarterback, running back and wide receiver on offense and defensive back during his career at CBA.

“The coaching staff there is one I have been around attending their summer camps,” Jones said. “I feel very comfortable with them and felt it is a good situation for me.”

Jones also considered LIU and Stony Brook before selecting the Great Danes, a program that advanced to the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) national semifinals during the 2023 season.

The senior excelled on offense and defense for the Brothers and likely will continue as a defensive player in college.

“They said defense, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was offense too,” Jones said. “I have been working on my hands. I took a week off after the season ended and I have been working out with (younger brother) Archie with him throwing and me catching.”

Jones is the only starter to play all three seasons under the tutelage of CBA coach Bobby Burns. He led the Brothers to a trio of title victories against Shenendehowa, the last one coming when the Brothers prevailed 18-15 at Troy High when Jones threw a touchdown pass, caught a touchdown pass and returned an interception 98 yards for a touchdown.

After the victory, Burns said of Jones, “I challenged him to be the best player on the field tonight and he was. We had some moments where we really didn’t play well at all, but really good teams find a way to win whether they’ve got to do this, that or the other thing.”

Jones has not settled on a major yet. The senior says it is hard to believe he soon will be beginning his college football career.

“Everything has gone by in a blink of an eye,” Jones said.

Malin White @malin_white4 Cornell  OLB/DE  2 years eligibility I MAY GRAD I 6'2 258 lb
Excited to have received an offer from the University at Albany ‼️ Thank you 
@Coach_Calabrese

Jacob Jones from Croton has just committed.  6'1 200lb QB/MLB.  I presume he will play on the defensive side of the room due to the QB room size.  Held an offer from Sacred Heart. 

https://twitter.com/JacobJones1124/status/1753426808802844990/video/1

https://www.hudl.com/profile/15178810/Jacob-Jones