UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Football Transfer Portal (Going and Coming In)

My view on the Portal- it is a totally broken system.  The kids get more freedoms than pro athletes, and that is odd.

That being said, Anton leaving is completely expected (I would suppose) by the staff however, I think it is a bit misguided.  Players forget that you can and will be drafted out of the FCS.  It's not like he's an unknown.  Going to a school for one year is a great risk...huge risk...for a player.  Zero doubt he will get offers...not even a question.  However, I think he's going to be more in line with a Syracuse and BC level (maybe Rutgers) than a Florida State with only one year left.

He is 100% good enough to play at that level...he 100% should go after it...but I also think he would end up in the same draft spot if he stayed at Albany.  There is a great stat out there, not impacting Anton, that only 1 out of 4 (or something like that) players entering the portal end up getting scholarships and / or significant minutes at their new school.  It generally ends poorly.

For Anton, thank you for what you have done for the Danes...I wish you would have stayed because I think the team could make great strides next year...but good luck...and good luck in what I believe will be a potential late round draft pick for you.  

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 2:36 PM, Eli said:

They need to create more rules or laws for the portal. Since this is basically free agency, it needs to be treated with contracts. Can only leave for certain criterias or documented broken promises. Or need to meet certain stats to be able to opt out. 

Recruiting these kids to only have them leave in a year or two is costing smaller programs like ours money. Probably lots of it. 

One small note- NLI are one year contracts...so technically, that has created the problem. These one year NLI's are also part of the reason we are where we are today because coaches could decide not to renew a kid, leaving them on an island. 

I think These two who just entered the portal are making a mistake. #4 will get an offer to a bigger program but like Dane 96 stated it may be at a less than desirable program such as Syracuse. If a Florida State, Penn State program makes an offer then I wish him well. I dont think Hills 93 had quite the same impact season 4 had. I hope 93 reconsiders. If not good luck.

As far as Poff is concerned I think he would of entered by now. I could be wrong. I hope like everyone that he stays put.

52 minutes ago, MRuler 79 said:

I think These two who just entered the portal are making a mistake. #4 will get an offer to a bigger program but like Dane 96 stated it may be at a less than desirable program such as Syracuse. If a Florida State, Penn State program makes an offer then I wish him well. I dont think Hills 93 had quite the same impact season 4 had. I hope 93 reconsiders. If not good luck.

As far as Poff is concerned I think he would of entered by now. I could be wrong. I hope like everyone that he stays put.

Big mistake by Hill  Not even in the same boat as Juncaj.