UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Football Transfer Portal (Going and Coming In)

24 minutes ago, jimbo said:

It’s clear that at our present level the best we can hope for is mediocrity with the occasional success as the star players align in single seasons. But when your best players consistently move on it has to put a major strain on coaching and recruiting. As some of you have pointed out, we may have to market our programs as stop off feeder mills to the big boys. That’s a tough sell for loyal Purple and Gold fans like myself. I really see a continued decline in attendance overall and deemphasis on athletics. Hope I’m wrong. Maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed today lol. 

If the coaching staffs (football, basketball and Lacross to a lesser extent) can produce a consistent winner  AND WE ADVERTISE people will show.  Some people might want the loyalty of kids sticking around but NIL and Scholorships are 1 year contracts.  Coaches can take schollys away just as easily as kids can decide to enter the transfer portal (IMHO this makes things equal).  We must all remember the rule set by Al Davis "just win baby win".  Anything is possible remember we were picked 11th in the conference and we made the final four.      

• Like 1

As long as I’m venting…..I can’t understand Poff’s motive unless it’s just to measure himself against a higher level or he really needs the NIL money. I mean, he’s got a lot of polishing up to do before he’s an elite QB at the FBS or NFL level. He’s a great FCS QB, he’s not Drew Breese. The thing is, if he stuck around he’d have a chance at really attracting attention. Try some of those risky sideline passes against SEC speed DBs and his nickname will change from Poff the Magic Dragon to Poff Pick 6. 

Check out Undercuffler’s stats at Akron, one of the worst teams in one of the weakest conferences in FBS. 4 tds. 9 ints . -201 yds rushing . 1378 yds passing. 

Edited by jimbo
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, dslyank said:

NO have not changed it yet. Courts have temporary halted the rule for two months, to give ncaa a chance to modify, correct, change or more than likely allow "free agency" universally. So you are probably right that the ncaa will give in, but so far the rule is in effect only on temporary hiatus.

ps when the P5 (top 80 schools) officially declare as a "professional sports league", the ncaa will be no more; and than maybe the rest of college sports can be "College sports"

psps. the only hold up to the above is the administration and accounting people {probably all former athletes who never really learned any accounting /finance/etc} try to figure if their is enough money to filter down to the NON money sports and what to do with them if NOT. {sounds like a continuation of my rant; but really except for a few hold out schools who really want to put academics first, really what & how to do with the non revenue sports is really the only hold up to the 80 school professional college league. [unless of course the government decides to step in????]

I had instantly changed my response to I was wrong before your response. That said, I'm not sure they have enforced the sit year at all anywhere.

31 minutes ago, jimbo said:

As long as I’m venting…..I can’t understand Poff’s motive unless it’s just to measure himself against a higher level or he really needs the NIL money. I mean, he’s got a lot of polishing up to do before he’s an elite QB at the FBS or NFL level. He’s a great FCS QB, he’s not Drew Breese. The thing is, if he stuck around he’d have a chance at really attracting attention. Try some of those risky sideline passes against SEC speed DBs and his nickname will change from Poff the Magic Dragon to Poff Pick 6. 

Check out Undercuffler’s stats at Akron, one of the worst teams in one of the weakest conferences in FBS. 4 tds. 9 ints . -201 yds rushing . 1378 yds passing. 

+1000!

Poff had it made it his current situation.  He got national exposure and pulled in a bunch of his friends.  2 more years of that and he goes from national exposure to national headlines.  Now he risks becoming irrelevant.

But GD06's hypothesis about Arkansas was pretty astute...just saying. 

• Like 1

I was watching sports center last night and saw that Yamamoto from Japan is set to get like 300 million from his new team. The catch is that his old team in Japan gets a posting fee for letting him come to the states. Something like this would make sense for smaller schools imo.

If they want to treat it like legitimate free agency, schools should be able to hand out 2, 3, 4 year contracts and if a player transfers the school he came from receives a small portion of whatever NIL money they receive from the new one. 

the half college sports, half professional sports hybrid were in really craps on small schools 

• Like 1

Also yes, Poff will need some polish in order to play in the SEC imho. He got bailed out a few times with some DBs being in complete lala land and losing their man. 

he does have leg talent however, which undercuffler never did. 

Edited by ctdanes
  • Like 1

I won’t get into the NIL/portal debate (hate it personally)…but the facts are that sports at UA will never be able to compete. You’ll never see a star athlete who stays here for 4 years….just ain’t going to happen in the current construct.  They will jump to a bigger program as soon as they are able.

• Thanks 2

Maybe Poff knows he isn't, or at least thinks he might not be, NFL talent.  In that case if he's getting big NIL money (and I don't know what that means) then the situation doesn't matter.   At a minimum somebody must think he can compete for a starting job if he's getting NIL money.  But if somebody throws a big chunk of money to compete, not handed, for a starting job it's tough to turn it down.

I hate it personally but it's not going anywhere.  Hopefully some tweaks provide some stabilization.  I look back to Jamar Wilson.  If it was like this he would have been gone after year 2 and we'd never would've had our glory days of hoops.  

If anyone is questioning the motivation of NIL Money, then you probably haven't seen what kind of dollars are being spent. Check this out: https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/player/college/football/

You can go all the way down to #23 on the list before you find someone worth less than 7-figures in NIL money. Every single one of the top 100 are over $500k. You actually need to go past the top 1000 players before you find one listed under $100K. 

I don't know how these numbers are calculated, and how they take into account their followers on social media and how that helps them earn money, but with the big schools we are talking about a college education and SIGNIFICANT money.

• Like 1