UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Football Transfer Portal (Going and Coming In)

21 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

I had instantly changed my response to I was wrong before your response. That said, I'm not sure they have enforced the sit year at all anywhere.

llc top scorer against Cornell Tuesday 12/19 played his first game of the year; after being denied twice for a waiver (2nd time transfer.) He was allowed to suit up only after the courts put a moratorium on the sit rule. I believe the moratorium gives the ncaa 2 months to react/appeal. At that time the courts will take the ncaa to court to have the rule permanently struck down or accept their modifications (which I doubt they will.) At the time of the decision I believe the number was 14 players became immediately able to play. The number would have been significantly higher except most states already had injunctions or as you said were NOT enforcing the 1 year sit rule for second time transfer. I am not a lawyer; but I believe the 14 who became eligible to play, can play only until the injunctions time frame expires. Originally I thought that was 2 months, but recently read, the injunction expires next year [i.e. 10 days from now.] I do not know what this all means for the players from states who have not been enforcing the rule. 

But the rule is very much in effect and players could be lost to teams if the ncaa holds firm {which I doubt.} My best guess is the ncaa will let everyone keep playing; refer the rule to rules committee; and probably just bide time to the larger issue of College Professional Sports is resolved. Most will say this could take years; IMHO a war is brewing, the ncaa is between a rock and a hard place; the money is enormous; the integrity of college athletics is at stake; and predominantly what to do about Schools who prefer NOT [or can not] support the "Professional College League".

Although we still watch because we like the pageantry, tradition and competition, the loss of amateur status in the Olympic Games has really taken a lot of luster. They used to do a lot of behind the scenes type stuff like going to the home towns of the athletes and so forth. Now, most of the top competitors in the glamour sports and newly popular X Game type stuff are already celebrities and many of them quite wealthy. It does make it harder to care if they win or not because you know if they do it’ll just make them wealthier.

When you see the kind of money Caleb at USC and Bronny the BB player are rumored to be getting via NIL it truly is professional… for some at least. 

23 hours ago, haggyland said:

+1000!

Poff had it made it his current situation.  He got national exposure and pulled in a bunch of his friends.  2 more years of that and he goes from national exposure to national headlines.  Now he risks becoming irrelevant.

But GD06's hypothesis about Arkansas was pretty astute...just saying. 

Hey it may be wishful thinking but if things aren't as rosy as Poff believes when he lands somewhere I'm sure he would be quick to return. Lets see what happens. He will have his hands full playing in a bigtime program against big time programs that are better than Marshall. If he thought South Dakota was tough try playing P5 teams every weekend. Not saying he can't just saying it a tall order. I do wish him well if he lands somewhere.

9 hours ago, MRuler 79 said:

Hey it may be wishful thinking but if things aren't as rosy as Poff believes when he lands somewhere I'm sure he would be quick to return. Lets see what happens. He will have his hands full playing in a bigtime program against big time programs that are better than Marshall. If he thought South Dakota was tough try playing P5 teams every weekend. Not saying he can't just saying it a tall order. I do wish him well if he lands somewhere.

I think he'll be fine with a good line...

Can someone help me understand why FBS or FCS players would transfer to an FCS program.  I remember the old process when FBS players would transfer “down” so they can play immediately but now players can transfer whenever or wherever they want and play immediately so why would they choose an FCS program?

I see the players who get through FBS spring workouts and realize they won’t get playing time making that decision - they might just want a place to land.  I also see D2 players moving “up” to FCS as well as current FBS players that are looking for FCS experience / exposure with the chance of moving back to an FBS program or maybe someone just looking for some increased playing time moving FCS to FCS.

Seems to me that FCS schools will have to wait until spring workouts to see who’s available to transfer and those players might just be looking to establish a resume and go back to FBS.

Edited by reeder

I have no inside knowledge, but I’d say all the above and more. Why does any student change schools once enrolled? Different major their school doesn’t offer? Didn’t like the atmosphere, town, dorms, food, distance to home, weather, roommates and on and on.

From a purely athletic and perhaps financial incentive, perhaps going from a PWO or WO to a full/partial scholarship. Also, realizing they don’t have the chops for the level they chose. Grad transfers or senior transfers with eligibility after graduating both make sense if they prefer another graduate program. 

Some of these kids commit, sit a year and then their school recruits a stud player and they can see the writing on the wall. Sit for three years or more or drop down a level, get a chance to prove yourself and then move back up….see Poff. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

By the way...what is interesting is Reese, unlike some of the other guys, has not posted any offers on his Twitter. Doesn't mean he hasn't gotten any, just interesting.

10 hours ago, GreatDanes06 said:

By the way...what is interesting is Reese, unlike some of the other guys, has not posted any offers on his Twitter. Doesn't mean he hasn't gotten any, just interesting.

Maybe he wants to wait and see where everyone lands before committing. He has great skills at the FCS level, but joins the pack in FBS. Do you want to be a starter at a bottom dwelling G5 or lower that won’t get a crack at a league championship or bowl game? A second or third string at a P5? Or a starter at an FCS program with a shot at championship? The possibility of NIL money could be the kicker. I mean look where Cuff landed. I with Juncaj the best. It’ll be interesting to see how he does against SEC level O Line. Verse was able to make the transition at ACC levels, but they don’t necessarily have the same abilities. Anton really quick off the snap, very aggressive and his motor never stops…that had to be all in his favor.