UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Football Transfer Portal (Going and Coming In)

The only thing I just don't get with this portal stuff...if Reese is going to be a starter at a P5, sure I get it. But if he's not gonna be a starter, why go? For all these guys. A lot of P5 teams have starters set for next year at QB. I just don't see it.

Verse, Poff, Juncaj, and Co need to become a selling point of the school. If NIL has turned Power 5 conferences into the minor leagues for the NFL and NBA, then we need to ensure that we sell this as a top destination minor league spot for the P5! Why ride the pine at a P5 school waiting your turn when you can go to the FCS playoffs or NCAA tourney here as a star then transfer. That is what I preached and posted when Nichols and Cremo left, and it is more true now than it was then.

I loved Poff, but we all knew this was coming even if we didn't want to admit it. Too much NIL money going around at big schools for him not to. I might question his sanity if he didn't try to transfer.

Bring on Van Weber. Give him two years of success then onto the next. It's the reality of the game today, at least until we consistently win and get some deep pocket alums to create our own NIL fund that can pay these kids 6 figures plus.

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, godanesgo99 said:

Poff, Juncaj, and Co need to become a selling point of the school. If NIL has turned Power 5 conferences into the minor leagues for the NFL and NBA, then we need to ensure that we sell this as a top destination minor league spot for the P5! Why ride the pine at a P5 school waiting your turn when you can go to the FCS playoffs or NCAA tourney here as a star then transfer. That is what I preached and posted when Nichols and Cremo left, and it is more true now than it was then.

I loved Poff, but we all knew this was coming even if we didn't want to admit it. Too much NIL money going around at big schools for him not to. I might question his sanity if he didn't try to transfer.

Bring on Van Weber. Give him two years of success then onto the next. It's the reality of the game today, at least until we consistently win and get some deep pocket alums to create our own NIL fund that can pay these kids 6 figures plus.

Totally agree with you. We knew it was coming. If the kid has P5 offers and can be a starter...GREAT. Go get it kid! But if it's a back-up spot...I don't get it. Based on what I have seen from P5 schools, a good chunk have starters set for next year. If Oklahoma State is offering you a QB2 or QB3 spot, I don't get why you go. Heck, if he was being offered a starting spot at Buffalo I would even question it because he would get equal exposure at UAlbany compared to Buffalo if you ask me.

But again, who am I to talk I guess.

• Like 2

I hate to say it but part of the problem is a lot of the kids from the city who go to UA simply do not care about athletics. I’m sure there’s some allure of simply being at a ‘football school” where you’ll play in front of 70k fans every weekend

5 minutes ago, GreatDanes06 said:

Totally agree with you. We knew it was coming. If the kid has P5 offers and can be a starter...GREAT. Go get it kid! But if it's a back-up spot...I don't get it. Based on what I have seen from P5 schools, a good chunk have starters set for next year. If Oklahoma State is offering you a QB2 or QB3 spot, I don't get why you go. Heck, if he was being offered a starting spot at Buffalo I would even question it because he would get equal exposure at UAlbany compared to Buffalo if you ask me.

But again, who am I to talk I guess.

100% agree. No reason to transfer unless you are going to start elsewhere and get NIL money. You can go to the NFL from UA. In fact, chances are better to go from a starring starting spot here than a backup spot elsewhere.

He has two years of eligibility left, so maybe he explores the portal, doesn't find a starting spot, so he returns for one more year, but his time in the portal told him what he needs to do to start elsewhere and he comes back to prove it.

That's the game. Beagle came back. I have no inside info on how/why, but my assumption is that the big schools said he wouldn't start and should get another year of seasoning before transferring, so he is back. No different with any of these guys.

Edited by godanesgo99

13 hours ago, ctdanes said:

Shades of cremo and Nichols. This sucks. Being good for a season was cool I guess 

My first thoughts exactly.... when someone's talents shine out, UAlbany will have been their first for others, looking for a change or a grad degree, their last stop.

As noted above, this is not just football, this covers MBB, WBB and MLAX, WLAX, however all sports at UAlbany will be touched by the Portal.

Edited by cwdickens
clarification

I hate the portal. I hate NIL. I hate P5. I hate the ncaa becoming a minor league for professional sports and MOSTLY I hate mid/low majors being minor leagues for P5s. Might as well go back to DIII, where student athlete meant "STUDENT" athlete.😜

ps The only professional sport that I watch religiously is baseball. I hope all rest go bankrupt and/or we elect a president and congress with enough sense to TAX people for playing a game @ 99.99% tax rate and make health care universal for ALL and end poverty in America.🥴

OK, Now that I finished my rant and made a total fool of myself; can someone tell me is UA so bad that Poffenburg would be willing to sit out a year (unless off course the ncaa {who I still hate} changes the wait a year rule for multiple transfers; would be willing to be a back-up more than likely; and most probably NEVER play a down in professional football???

4 minutes ago, dslyank said:

I hate the portal. I hate NIL. I hate P5. I hate the ncaa becoming a minor league for professional sports and MOSTLY I hate mid/low majors being minor leagues for P5s. Might as well go back to DIII, where student athlete meant "STUDENT" athlete.😜

ps The only professional sport that I watch religiously is baseball. I hope all rest go bankrupt and/or we elect a president and congress with enough sense to TAX people for playing a game @ 99.99% tax rate and make health care universal for ALL and end poverty in America.🥴

OK, Now that I finished my rant and made a total fool of myself; can someone tell me is UA so bad that Poffenburg would be willing to sit out a year (unless off course the ncaa {who I still hate} changes the wait a year rule for multiple transfers; would be willing to be a back-up more than likely; and most probably NEVER play a down in professional football???

Nm. I was wrong.

Edited by godanesgo99

The cream has always risen to the top, but prior to the transfer portal and NIL deals there were limitations, brakes and a strong reliance on loyalty to a school or coach. Fans watched incoming freshmen develop and move into starting roles and then learn from those who had already gone up the ladder. Except for the rare transfer there was a strong likelihood that year to year rosters would look familiar. 

I don’t blame any of these kids for taking advantage of a new normal where they can market their skills to the highest/best bidder, sometimes for NIL money and possibly a better chance at getting noticed by NFL scouts. At the same time, the changing landscape of college football has left me unwilling to dip my feet back into the season ticket GDAC realm. No loyalty from players can equal no loyalty from fans. 

It’s clear that at our present level the best we can hope for is mediocrity with the occasional success as the star players align in single seasons. But when your best players consistently move on it has to put a major strain on coaching and recruiting. As some of you have pointed out, we may have to market our programs as stop off feeder mills to the big boys. That’s a tough sell for loyal Purple and Gold fans like myself. I really see a continued decline in attendance overall and deemphasis on athletics. Hope I’m wrong. Maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed today lol. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

They have already changed the rule. No more sitting as far as I know. Could be wrong.

NO have not changed it yet. Courts have temporary halted the rule for two months, to give ncaa a chance to modify, correct, change or more than likely allow "free agency" universally. So you are probably right that the ncaa will give in, but so far the rule is in effect only on temporary hiatus.

ps when the P5 (top 80 schools) officially declare as a "professional sports league", the ncaa will be no more; and than maybe the rest of college sports can be "College sports"

psps. the only hold up to the above is the administration and accounting people {probably all former athletes who never really learned any accounting /finance/etc} try to figure if their is enough money to filter down to the NON money sports and what to do with them if NOT. {sounds like a continuation of my rant; but really except for a few hold out schools who really want to put academics first, really what & how to do with the non revenue sports is really the only hold up to the 80 school professional college league. [unless of course the government decides to step in????]

Edited by dslyank