UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Saturday Night

But even if we are the 'home team' at the TU and have 'prime seating'...we'll still be out numbered by a good margin as of present day (based on observation)...so are we really the 'home' team? Ever? I don't think so. Maybe in 15 years we can fill an arena with 8000 UA fans, but right now, no matter where we play...we are at a fan disadvantage or close to it. That's why I'm saying I don't understand why people are so hellbent on being offended that it is a 'road' game and fighting for a 'neutral' court game (again, we'll be out numbered so it's not really neutral). Only thing neutral will be the color of the court lol.

We only have seen the dynamic of $iena getting the prime seats and everyone esle being sent to the crappy setas.

We will see how next year a home game at Albany plays out and then a reported neutral site game the follwing year.

Will LCC still have more fans at the neutral site game than Albany. Probably.

But I would be surprised if the gap didn't narrow continuously as Albany actaully takes care of the true fans instead of bowing down to LCC as they have in the past

One can hope. I'm all for building the fanbase and no one wants 10,000 rabid UA fans more than me. I guess we'll see how things fair next year.

Edited by Ilko

We have had a successful basketball program for the last decade and seen only incremental advances in attendance and support.

What will it take to get the student body to take notice? Or alumni for that matter?

I don't understand it....the purple in the TUC saturday night was minimal.

I get that our seats suck, our band is relegated to the stands, our students are not behind the hoop, and all the other slights we receive. Didn't stop me from going and hanging on every play.

Albany is just not a sports school. We may have good athletic programs/teams, but no student applies to Albany (aside from a student athlete....) for the sports. They come to UA because it's an affordable option with a decent degree, and offers a lot of "fun". The school did a terrible job of advertising athletics while I was there, and can't imagine much has changed, as attendance stays the same. Sports needs to be PLASTERED everywhere, and try promotions. Do anything to get people in the seats. It's not just about getting season tickets - you need students to be in the arena to have a certain level of energy.

I will say this though, the camp out for tickets to the UA/Vermont AE champ game in 2006 was epic. In my opinion, for sports to be a success, it has to be a party scene. I lived in ATL for a bit, and while people love them some SEC football, it's such an event every Saturday with booze and food, that even those who barely care about sports want to attend.

If we can't capitalize on last years hoops success, then frankly, the administration should be really rethinking whatever strategies they have in place.

I suppose some people who felt the "board" was anti Hooley were reading my in game posts. I am not anti Hooley. I am critical at CB substitution record this season. This game, Peter seemed way out of control the first 10 minutes and, imo, was bailed out by his team mates several times the rest of the game. However, this is Peter's style of play this year and up to CB to coach. Maybe having him play the entire game was dealing with it. Whatever, it is CB's sub rotation I am very critical of. Not only thinking of in game rotation where Hooley could not possibly be effective during a last 3 minute press after playing 36 minutes. A coach needs to anticipate a key player being fatigued at the end of the game when most needed.

The other thing is next year. If guard subs do not get significant minutes this year then next year will be very difficult - 3 senior guards all graduating. It's OCC season = prime time for sub minutes. Hooley's minutes this game was just one example. It's usually been Singletary playing all game with barely or no sub. So I feel like I was entirely too embroiled in this game and my comments on Hooley just part of the excitement. But make no mistake, my point was CB style, not Hooley.

Albany is just not a sports school. We may have good athletic programs/teams, but no student applies to Albany (aside from a student athlete....) for the sports. They come to UA because it's an affordable option with a decent degree, and offers a lot of "fun". The school did a terrible job of advertising athletics while I was there, and can't imagine much has changed, as attendance stays the same. Sports needs to be PLASTERED everywhere, and try promotions. Do anything to get people in the seats. It's not just about getting season tickets - you need students to be in the arena to have a certain level of energy.

I will say this though, the camp out for tickets to the UA/Vermont AE champ game in 2006 was epic. In my opinion, for sports to be a success, it has to be a party scene. I lived in ATL for a bit, and while people love them some SEC football, it's such an event every Saturday with booze and food, that even those who barely care about sports want to attend.

If we can't capitalize on last years hoops success, then frankly, the administration should be really rethinking whatever strategies they have in place.

It's not just last year, it's the year before that, and the year before that. Although we were prob not ready, making the full jump to all CAA sports would have showed me they were serious. I hope they still have a vision in place. Seemed like coach was not for making the jump either because he knows how bad the America east is. I know the CAA topic is like a broken record, i just feel they are in a stand still here in this league. Edited by UA'08
  • Like 1

The capital District is full of sports snobs. If you look at the MSA data we are a bigger media market than Syracuse and just below Buffalo. We have more personal income than either market. Both of those markets support major athletics. Syracuse has AAA baseball and sells out the carrier done for football and basketball. Buffalo has NFL and NHL, along with AAA baseball. Both have strong attendance.

Albany couldn't keep a AA Yankee team, has a single A baseball team that doesn't draw as well as it should. Has an empty arena for AHL hockey. Has a 2/3s empty arena for a D1 MAAC team and a 1/2 empty SEFCU for a D1 AE team. That said, we sell out when March Madness is here, sell out most major concerts, and even had strong attendance for preseason NBA and NHL games. Capital District sports fans are snobs and only attend major stuff. The proximity to NYC, Montreal, and Boston gives them too many easily attainable major options.

It's the chicken or the egg problem. Want strong attendance? Get a major program, but you can't get a major program without attendance. When Siena made the sweet 16, people went to their games. When UA played Syracuse at the TU: people went.

When UA finally crosses that threshold and gets a few wins in March (or $iena gets back to that level) and attendance rises and UA (or $iena) takes the risk and jumps to a bigger conference, that is when the students and locals will care and the attendance will rise.

• Like 1

It's natural to want a sold out SEFCU every game..and of course that should be the goal. But I think this conversation ignores a number of points.

First..just because we all like sports doesn't mean everyone likes sports. I'm sure plenty of us don't like the arts, outdoors, movies, etc..but there are plenty of people who love doing those things and can't understand why others don't like it.

Also..it's clear even among the people on this board..not everyone goes to all the home games..for a variety of reasons. Some people travel to road games..many don't.

Lastly..it's just wrong to say we've only seen "incremental" advances in attendance and support. We had an average attendance of nearly 3400 per game last year. That's almost a 60% jump in just 4 seasons. We also led the league in attendance this past season. Both home games this year with classes in session saw the student sections at/near capacity. In just the past year or so it's clear there are new sponsorship deals in SEFCU with Mohawk Honda and Dunkin Donuts. My guess is that's a combination of a new AD/staff and the success of both men's and women's teams.

There is..and will always be..more to do. But..in my opinion..the suggestion that there hasn't been recent notable progress/growth on these fronts really misses the mark.

• Like 3

The capital District is full of sports snobs. If you look at the MSA data we are a bigger media market than Syracuse and just below Buffalo. We have more personal income than either market. Both of those markets support major athletics. Syracuse has AAA baseball and sells out the carrier done for football and basketball. Buffalo has NFL and NHL, along with AAA baseball. Both have strong attendance.

Albany couldn't keep a AA Yankee team, has a single A baseball team that doesn't draw as well as it should. Has an empty arena for AHL hockey. Has a 2/3s empty arena for a D1 MAAC team and a 1/2 empty SEFCU for a D1 AE team. That said, we sell out when March Madness is here, sell out most major concerts, and even had strong attendance for preseason NBA and NHL games. Capital District sports fans are snobs and only attend major stuff. The proximity to NYC, Montreal, and Boston gives them too many easily attainable major options.

It's the chicken or the egg problem. Want strong attendance? Get a major program, but you can't get a major program without attendance. When Siena made the sweet 16, people went to their games. When UA played Syracuse at the TU: people went.

When UA finally crosses that threshold and gets a few wins in March (or $iena gets back to that level) and attendance rises and UA (or $iena) takes the risk and jumps to a bigger conference, that is when the students and locals will care and the attendance will rise.

When did Siena make the sweet 16?

Never

Also the carrier dome doesn't come any where close to sellouts for football.

Oops my fault. My memory failed me. For some reason I thought the Ohio State win and the Vanderbilt win were the same season. I am glad I was wrong. That said, interest was high after making it to the round of 32 in back to back seasons.

I am an Albany fan and $iena hater but I do remember staying up WAY too late to watch them in the tournament those years. (I do root for them in the post season just for the Capital District)

My point is the same. Capital District people will never support anything that is not top level. It's just the way this area is. Bring in something major, and people go.

The carrier dome is massive. Very difficult for a stadium in the North to sell out, when it can hold almost 50k. Plus, take weather into account. It snows/gets nasty early and often in Cuse, which makes it difficult to have regular attendance.

I also think part of it is that Albany is perhaps more of a transplant/temporary place for many people. The vast majority of UA grads (correct me if I'm wrong) aren't from Albany, so they go back to LI, NYC, or other parts of upstate.

Yes, our attendance has gone up, but so has campus enrollment quite a bit, and population in the area in general as well.

Either way though, you can't just merely say it's the chicken or the egg problem. It's called advertising and marketing, and when done effectively, it works. It just isn't a priority at UA. Take a movie, like Star Wars, for example. There's a reason they advertise the $iena out of it. It's not like it's something new. People are fanatical about it. The "product" is there, and it's readily available at any movie theater nearby, but they spend a TON of money (in some instances just as much as it costs to make a movie) to promote it.

And if you want to increase attendance, schedule better - not just in terms of opponents, but dates. Scheduling a game the game students come back from a long weekend/holiday is insanely stupid.

If any one of us on this board played a role in the advertising of things, I'm confident you would see a significant uptick in attendance. Give away free stuff from area vendors/companies, throw a party before the game. Get creative.

Never

OK, so I exaggerated there a little bit. They may not sell out for every game, but since the Dome was opened in full - 35 years ago - they have had under 30,000 fans at a game only 12 times - 4 of which were this season. Not sure how many times it has sold out - but the small change does not change my point. Even with a terrible football team people still go, and a lot of them at that, because it is at the top level for College Football.

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2015/11/28/9808166/syracuse-football-2015-carrier-dome-home-attendance-is-historically

Edited by godanesgo99

Never

OK, so I exaggerated there a little bit. They may not sell out for every game, but since the Dome was opened in full - 35 years ago - they have under 30,000 fans at a game only 12 times. Not sure how many times it has sold out - but the small change does not change my point. Even with a terrible football team people still go, and a lot of them at that, because it is at the top level for College Football.

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2015/11/28/9808166/syracuse-football-2015-carrier-dome-home-attendance-is-historically

30000 is not much for that level of football and is 60% of capacity isn't people going .

They are now a basketball school more than ever . Basketball fills that place and drives the donations . Football is an afterthought and currently an incredible easy (cheap on the secondary market ) ticket

Edited by bob87

Isn't the single A Valley Cats have a higher attendance avg than the AAA Binghamton Mets? May have made that up but I swear I heard they have great attendance for being such a low level.