UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany vs. University of Maine (02/07/07)

Huge game this Wednesday against Maine. Maine played us really tough at home back in January. I recall them being up for a substantial portion of the game. Any new news on Maine? Looks like they have cooled off a bit after winning several games in a row (now 6-5 in the Conference).

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

last game with maine we won by 9, UAlbany 82, Maine 73. leading scorers for both teams were Jamar wilson, 31 pts, for UA and chris bruff, 23, for maine. since 1/11/07 maine went 6-1 with a victory against vermont. so this should be a very good game. i just hope that we dont get too exhausted when we play vermont on sunday. UA UAUAUAUA UUUUUUUAAAAA UUUUUUAAAA

Welcome to the board alexfamous.

Nice to see some new faces around here. :-)

thank you. i am just continuing a tradition that started with my father when he attended UA back in the 70s. UA has come a long way from being a small school. lets go Danes

Except for the obvious(UVM), I see this as the most critical game on our schedule. Chris Bruff hurt us big time at home. He's not big like the Bing big man but quicker which makes a difficult match up for us. That said, we have more and more people contributing and if that continues and with a little luck we should be fine.

From what I understand, we essentially, in order to get the #1 seed for the tournament in Boston, need Vermont to lose twice more, with us winning out (with one of Vermont's two losses coming to us on Sunday).

I read in another thread on here that Vermont wins the tiebreak with us (assuming we split with them and we each finish 14-2) because their other loss was to Maine, which was a higher quality (win/loss) opponent than our other loss, which was Binghamton. Assuming that this tiebreak scenario is how it works, we need to not only beat Vermont on Sunday but have them lose another game somewhere along the line (either at B.U. or at Maine would be my guess). Although 13-3 won the Conference last year, my prediction is that 14-2 could only earn us a tie for the Conference title this year (and a #2 seed in the post-season tournament in Boston). If we win the key games at home (Vermont and B.U. later this month), I think we can do it. If I were betting, I'd bet Vermont drops a game on the road to either Maine or B.U. (B.U. was up 5 or so on Vermont at the half last night at Vermont). We just gotta take care of our own games ... .

From what I understand, we essentially, in order to get the #1 seed for the tournament in Boston, need Vermont to lose twice more, with us winning out (with one of Vermont's two losses coming to us on Sunday).

I read in another thread on here that Vermont wins the tiebreak with us (assuming we split with them and we each finish 14-2) because their other loss was to Maine, which was a higher quality (win/loss) opponent than our other loss, which was Binghamton. Assuming that this tiebreak scenario is how it works, we need to not only beat Vermont on Sunday but have them lose another game somewhere along the line (either at B.U. or at Maine would be my guess). Although 13-3 won the Conference last year, my prediction is that 14-2 could only earn us a tie for the Conference title this year (and a #2 seed in the post-season tournament in Boston). If we win the key games at home (Vermont and B.U. later this month), I think we can do it. If I were betting, I'd bet Vermont drops a game on the road to either Maine or B.U. (B.U. was up 5 or so on Vermont at the half last night at Vermont). We just gotta take care of our own games ... .

That info is wrong. If we win out we win the conference. Winning out would put VT and Albany in a tie, assuming VT wins all games BUT the Albany game. IF that is the case, they go to Maine as the tiebreaker. VT is 1-1. If we win out...we would be 2-0 vs. Maine, hence we would have the better record against a mutual opponent. Being that Maine will finish higher than Bingo, the Bingo loss wont hurt us.

SIMPLY PUT: WE WIN OUT....WE ARE THE REGULAR SEASON CHAMPS.

I dont quite follow your logic that we would be 2nd. Same won-loss record goes to next common opponent in order of 3rd place to last place. Maine is that team....we would own the tiebreaker.

IF WE LOSE TO MAINE....and VT also loses....and we beat VT...then we would lose the tiebreaker if the VT finishes with a better record then us against that team, e.g. BINGHAMTON.

I have a feeling that this fact is not lost on Brown or the team. Look for them to come out hungry in my opinion the game that I thought was the real trap game on this mini stretch was Hartford. I was right fortunately we won the game. My only concern with today’s game is fatigue. Brown IMHO made a good scheduling move by leaving for Maine on Monday night after the game. I say this going into my own experience with Crew, we would do a trip down for spring break to South Carolina which is aprox. 18 hrs; the day we got there we generally had a practice typically my body was the most tired that first day, the second day after rest was much easier. My point to this story is that it takes about a day to recover from a long bus ride and physical activity (Hartford game) the way Brown planned this trip was very well done, and I think it will make a difference today against Maine. Wish I didn’t have class today till 10 would love to watch the game live.

That info is wrong. If we win out we win the conference. Winning out would put VT and Albany in a tie, assuming VT wins all games BUT the Albany game. IF that is the case, they go to Maine as the tiebreaker. VT is 1-1. If we win out...we would be 2-0 vs. Maine, hence we would have the better record against a mutual opponent. Being that Maine will finish higher than Bingo, the Bingo loss wont hurt us.

SIMPLY PUT: WE WIN OUT....WE ARE THE REGULAR SEASON CHAMPS.

I dont quite follow your logic that we would be 2nd. Same won-loss record goes to next common opponent in order of 3rd place to last place. Maine is that team....we would own the tiebreaker.

IF WE LOSE TO MAINE....and VT also loses....and we beat VT...then we would lose the tiebreaker if the VT finishes with a better record then us against that team, e.g. BINGHAMTON.

Oh, I hope that's the way it works. I read it quickly, but I thought the 'common opponent' tiebreaker part meant that if UVM and UAlbany both end up tied for first with a 1-1 record against each other, then the breaker goes to the team with the second loss being against the 'better' team..ie, Maine has a better record than Binghamton.

But like I said, it's comforting news if that's how it works D96!!

Can't wait for the game tonight! I just hope that Maine lives up to their end of the bargain and is competitive with the Danes. Should be a good TV game and hopefully a decent crowd.

I know that you all are worried about Bruff, but I can't believe that none of you haven't mentioned Sheets or Reed?

Anyway, as far as the tourney goes, I'm hoping that Maine avoids Boston U. in the semis......they will be dangerous. I'd rather play Vermont than Albany as well.......so from a Maine fan's point of view I hope that the tourney seedings will look like this:

1. Vermont

2. Albany

3. Boston U.

4. Maine

5. UNH

mainejeff:

I agree with you about Boston University. That tough defense can cause any team in the league problems. Boston University was up 5 or 6 at halftime on Vermont last night at Vermont.

I also think that I can speak for everyone who was at the Maine vs. UAlbany game that we definitely have not forgotten about Jon Sheets (#5, right?). He absolutely lit us up during the first half during the first Maine vs. UAlbany game. He had 19 points and was 5 for 9 from 3-point range. But I recall him making 4, if not 5, 3-pointers in a row in the first half. He seemed to cool off a bit in the second half, for whatever reason(s).

Game 1: http://admin.xosn.com/fls/14000/mensbasket...0607/mbb123.htm

At the America East Tournament, and as far as the Sunday semi-final games are concerned (assuming we win on Saturday, which is not to be glossed over given the fact that Hartford or Binghamton would be our likely opponents as either the #1 or #2 seed!), I'm not sure whether we'd rather play Boston University or Maine. I guess that question will be ironed out in the next few weeks as we play you guys tomorrow night and Boston University at home in late February (season finale). With Boston University, I believe we got our first win against them (ever) last season, so they are a team that always makes me nervous, but there is no easy game. I think it's all about individual matchups when it is all said and done ... .

What was your take on going into Vermont and beating them earlier this season? How does Maine matchup against Vermont?

mainejeff:

Welcome to the forum! Thank you for paying a visit and dropping a line. I agree with you about Boston University. That tough defense can cause any team in the league problems.

I also think that I can speak for everyone who was at the Maine vs. UAlbany game that we definitely have not forgotten about Jon Sheets (#5, right?). He absolutely lit us up during the first half in game 1 between our two squads this year. He had 19 points and was 5 for 9 from 3-point range. But I recall him making 4, if not all 5, 3-pointers in a row in the first half. He seemed to cool off a bit in the second half, for whatever reason(s).

Game 1: http://admin.xosn.com/fls/14000/mensbasket...0607/mbb123.htm

MJ has been a vistor to the forum for quite some time now.

Archived