UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Transfer season thread

2 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

Just saw it reported that Marcus Jackson will be suiting up across town. Blah. I'll still root for him to do well while rooting for his team to lose. Hard nosed kid, whatever he lacked in skills was more than made up in effort and grit. Good luck to him in the future. 

Sorry put this in another thread, decent depth guy but not sure this has ever happened. Fine role player for them but if they are looking for more than that from him will be disappointed. 

On 4/23/2024 at 11:09 PM, cwdickens said:

Your list is getting long....

Literally every school is going through this transfer nonsense so I don’t know what you’re trying to prove trying to take shots at all the transfers.

Agree that DK hasn’t shown he can coach and he’s running out of time to prove it, but I’m confident he will bring in all conference caliber players as he’s done every year.

21 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

Literally every school is going through this transfer nonsense so I don’t know what you’re trying to prove trying to take shots at all the transfers.

Agree that DK hasn’t shown he can coach and he’s running out of time to prove it, but I’m confident he will bring in all conference caliber players as he’s done every year.

Nothing to prove here, just a reflection on the reality of the length of your list...lol

On 4/16/2024 at 5:45 PM, godanesgo99 said:

For the Men's team, at least in the short term, it needs to be... we have an empty roster, you are talented and just need a spot to showcase that you can do it at the D1 level - we have minutes for you in a decent low/mid major conference. Come here for 1-2 years and put up big numbers then the world is your oyster. If we win, you can stick around with a path to play in March, or you can try your hand in the P5 with earning potential. 

In the long term, we need to either accept the above strategy or find a way to build a real NIL program. If we could create a fund with 1 million dollars in it, that should generate $50-$60k per year in income that could be paid to players relatively risk free (with 30-year corporate or municipal bonds), or more if invested wisely but aggressively. I am not an investment professional, but I bet an investment fund could be set up the would guarantee a 2% return to investors, then the excess earnings could be paid as NIL deals to players. 2% isn't great, but its better than most savings accounts and I am sure it could be considered charitable. I do not know the laws on how those work at all, but we need someone to step up and create a fund. Maybe the financial minds and legal team at Broadview FCU could get something going. 

"Put your savings in the Broadview FCU UA-NIL Savings Account. Earn interest while supporting UA Athletes and getting a tax deduction!" I'd move some of my accounts there to participate!

As for the women's team: I think staying the course works fine. They have become a perennial power in the AE, the team has a chance to dance every year. With the popularity increase in WBB and the Caitlyn Clark show, I am sure NIL will start to gain steam for women's programs, so I guess the above could work there as well. 

If college ball has become the minor leagues and a decent income source for players, we need to jump on board and participate, or accept what we are and know that we are just a lowly feeder. 

How is the effort going on this?  Roger Wyland speculated that likely the NIL money helped Marcus Jackson make his decision easier.

All this talk about a big announcement has me wondering if the concerns a major donation towards a NIL fund.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/40024327/uab-becomes-1st-d-football-team-join-players-association

Continued deterioration of amateur athletics. Now they can get a cut of the money the BIG schools are making off of them? In addition to NIL? These kids are going to be making millions.

Their educations should no longer be free. In fact, they should not even bother going to school and these teams should just disassociate with the term 'college' or 'university' in general.

This is a disgrace. I've done a 180. I am completely against NIL and college kids making money. Wish they didn't get a cent.

If this continues, I'm probably going to give up on college sports and just follow the pro leagues. I can't deal with 80% of the basketball team being replaced every year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1