UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Transfer season thread

9 hours ago, GreatDanes06 said:

What is going on here? lol

Graveyard humor over the death of any vestige of the notion of amateur athletics and the tradition of student athlete and collegiate loyalty? 

The new normal is a me first free for all money grab that quite frankly stinks to high heaven and is causing some among us to reassess our willingness to support with our money something we’ve come to abhor. 

Or maybe we’re just a bunch of juveniles that like to shoot the 💩 

• Like 1

Beagle to Richmond. Good luck to him.  He can score but hopefully this next coach can teach him how to play defense.  

I have been following (on X) who Albany is talking to in the transfer portal.  It's bad.  A ton of D2 players. Things can change but it looks like a Siena type season unless we pull a rabbit out of our hat.  

13 hours ago, UA1882 said:

Beagle to Richmond. Good luck to him.  He can score but hopefully this next coach can teach him how to play defense.  

I have been following (on X) who Albany is talking to in the transfer portal.  It's bad.  A ton of D2 players. Things can change but it looks like a Siena type season unless we pull a rabbit out of our hat.  

ASP has a story on Beagle's transfer to Richmond, likewise, only wishing him the best.  Jonathan has decided to put the Capital District in the rear-view mirror.  

My gut tells me the same thing about the 2024-2025 season. Killings was lucky last season, however, sometimes luck runs out.

As for season ticketholder, there will be fewer, including myself, as Killings and Mark/Vic have turned me off completely. 

• Thanks 1

I don't blame Beagle for jumping ship and looking for a better opportunity, but I am betting he could have gone significantly higher than Richmond had he not quit on the team mid-season. I know I wouldn't want a kid that did that to his teammates without a bulletproof reason. 

10 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

I don't blame Beagle for jumping ship and looking for a better opportunity, but I am betting he could have gone significantly higher than Richmond had he not quit on the team mid-season. I know I wouldn't want a kid that did that to his teammates without a bulletproof reason. 

I think despite leaving the team, in the manner that he did, was a calculated risk.  I am of the opinion, the risk paid off as Beagle ended up at a school with a rich basketball tradition, a winning record (23-10), a conference championship game participant and the NIT Tournament.  These are things he would never enjoy at UAlbany.

Further their head coach is a respected member of the basketball community. He is in such a better place, all the other UAlbany players in the transfer portal can only hope for such a sweet landing.

Lastly, I am certain Jonathan freely discussed the situation with Coach Mooney and bought video game evidence to back his decision.

I would love to have been a fly on the wall to hear Beagle's interview:

"... I abandoned my team mid season, when they had a chance to compete for a top 4 spot in their league....yes I was in the portal last year and yes UA took me back when no one wanted me...I am NOT a pussy, just don't like being double teamed all the time, because UA did not have another big to take some of the pressure off me...the pressure was so awful, I had to get away from basketball for awhile... I know at Richmond (or add any other team here who already rejected this BS) "I" will be a Star player for you, as long as you have another BIG to help me with the pressure...." 😝🤪😜

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dslyank said:

I would love to have been a fly on the wall to hear Beagle's interview:

"... I abandoned my team mid season, when they had a chance to compete for a top 4 spot in their league....yes I was in the portal last year and yes UA took me back when no one wanted me...I am NOT a pussy, just don't like being double teamed all the time, because UA did not have another big to take some of the pressure off me...the pressure was so awful, I had to get away from basketball for awhile... I know at Richmond (or add any other team here who already rejected this BS) "I" will be a Star player for you, as long as you have another BIG to help me with the pressure...." 😝🤪😜

Sitting one row behind you in Broadview Center home, how can the things we picked up on during those first few conference games at the Broadview Center be so far apart.  Again, none of us know the complete story, however, your rant on Beagle is shameful and in extremely poor taste.

If Beagle needed time away to get a fresh perspective of basketball, clear his head, I respect him for making a tough decision which he knew could cause issues in basketball career.  From three years of Killings, I do not expect any type of statement saying that I could have done a better job handling the Beagle situation and keeping all of the current team here vs, entering the portal.

I will never monsteras his actions as you did.

To Jonathan, thank you for your time here...wishing you the best at Richmond.

25 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

Sitting one row behind you in Broadview Center home, how can the things we picked up on during those first few conference games at the Broadview Center be so far apart.  Again, none of us know the complete story, however, your rant on Beagle is shameful and in extremely poor taste.

If Beagle needed time away to get a fresh perspective of basketball, clear his head, I respect him for making a tough decision which he knew could cause issues in basketball career.  From three years of Killings, I do not expect any type of statement saying that I could have done a better job handling the Beagle situation and keeping all of the current team here vs, entering the portal.

I will never monsteras his actions as you did.

To Jonathan, thank you for your time here...wishing you the best at Richmond.

Until I find out about some problem with how he was treated by the coaching staff that warranted his leaving the team, I'll agree with dslyank on this one. Any player that would walk out on his team because he was punished for something or didn't like how things were going, instead of stepping up and being a man and correcting the issues and leading the team, has no spot on any roster of mine. I don't care if he is Michael Jordan talent wise. Someone who would walk out on the team is a cancer, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

The above said, that feeling is with the assumption that he quit because of game plan and/or because he was benched/punished for something. If there was some form of actual abuse from the coaching staff, then that is a completely different story that needs to be told for the good of the program and to make a change at the top. Until the whole story is out, he is just a weak quitter that needs to be gone.

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

Until I find out about some problem with how he was treated by the coaching staff that warranted his leaving the team, I'll agree with dslyank on this one. Any player that would walk out on his team because he was punished for something or didn't like how things were going, instead of stepping up and being a man and correcting the issues and leading the team, has no spot on any roster of mine. I don't care if he is Michael Jordan talent wise. Someone who would walk out on the team is a cancer, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

The above said, that feeling is with the assumption that he quit because of game plan and/or because he was benched/punished for something. If there was some form of actual abuse from the coaching staff, then that is a completely different story that needs to be told for the good of the program and to make a change at the top. Until the whole story is out, he is just a weak quitter that needs to be gone.

This is a situation where we will have to agree to disagree.

We do not know the circumstances; I was left wondering did Killings and his staff have the skill sets necessary on how to handle Jonathan's issues or needs.  Further, did the Luke Fizulich incident, make Killings more ineffective in dealing with individual player situations and relucent in communicating to the fan base on these issues.

In the end Jonathan Beagle has successfully exited the Transfer Portal to a basketball program with a head coach, who has compiled 19 years of head coaching experience at the same institution.  (Sound familiar) I am certain this head coach has seen it and heard it all and carefully weighed the benefits of signing up Jonathan Beagle.

LOL in two years Jonathan Beagle has gone from savior of our program to whatever phase you want to attach to him.  

6 hours ago, cwdickens said:

We do not know the circumstances; I was left wondering did Killings and his staff have the skill sets necessary on how to handle Jonathan's issues or needs.  Further, did the Luke Fizulich incident, make Killings more ineffective in dealing with individual player situations and relucent in communicating to the fan base on these issues.

In the end Jonathan Beagle has successfully exited the Transfer Portal to a basketball program with a head coach, who has compiled 19 years of head coaching experience at the same institution.  (Sound familiar) I am certain this head coach has seen it and heard it all and carefully weighed the benefits of signing up Jonathan Beagle.

LOL in two years Jonathan Beagle has gone from savior of our program to whatever phase you want to attach to him.  

Maybe it's a generational thing. To me it has to be the no "I" in team and the name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back.

Sure, go get yours when the season is done. Do what you have to do to be successful, but in the season your teammates are your family. Your coaches are your parents. There may be discipline and tough love, but it's only to make you a better person and player. Sure your brothers might piss you off, but you have a commitment to them to remain family and overcome challenges together. To quit when the going gets tough means you are weak and putting yourself before your family. It takes a pretty abusive relationship to make leaving your family in a bad place acceptable.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 12:02 PM, cwdickens said:

Sorry but I have to disagree with you on all three of your points.

You are attacking Unproven and mostly exonerated Dk's past to defend Beagle.

IF DK is a bad coach and I do not mean in an abusive sense; but if he can't coach basketball skills etc; and if his entire staff are equally bad; and if DK and staff do not have the skills to deal with Beagles issue (which none of us know what they are) does in NO way exonerate Beagle abandoning his team mid season with pretty much NO justifying explanation. Also, I was in no way ranting on the 19 year Richmond coach. I am sure if he is as good as you say, he absolutely DID address all the issues I mentioned and more.

And #3 Beagle in two years, is a story NOT written yet. We will see how good he is when he has to go up against multiple quality BIGS in major & mid major conferences. When things got tough in the lowly AmEast, in my eyes he DID NOT shine.

Edited by dslyank

On 4/9/2024 at 12:02 PM, cwdickens said:

We can start with a talented quitter...unless something of substance emerges that would change that calculus. 

On 4/8/2024 at 10:03 PM, godanesgo99 said:

I doubt that unless basketball is now played only on the offensive end. One of the worst defensive bigs I've seen in a long time.