UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

House vs NCAA Settlement

If you have not been keeping up, the various conferences are voting on whether or not to accept a $2.8 Billion dollar settlement in the House vs NCAA lawsuit that awards damages to student athletes who were not paid for NIL. It's interesting to note that the non-power and FCS conferences will be on the hook for substantial amounts of money to cover the settlement. The 27 non-power conferences will be expected to pay $990 million over a 10 year period to fund the damages.

"One Division I commissioner estimated that non-FBS conferences would be on the hook for $2.5 million per year to help cover the NCAA’s costs of the settlement. Two sources in different CCA22 leagues said that equates to roughly 25 percent of the annual revenue those schools receive from the NCAA" - NY Times

Just food for thought as the college sports landscape continues to change. 

With $2.8B settlement looming, NCAA's smaller conferences feeling squeezed: 'What other options are there?'

• Sad 1

From MSN.com:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/in-major-change-college-athletes-set-to-be-paid-directly-by-schools/ar-BB1mWRCL?ocid=mailsignout&pc=U591&cvid=92b8a0d90a2a46b5b1a929f10bb3bfe8&ei=72

I agree with those who feel that in the end is near, for what many of us liked about college sports in our earlier lives, the fans of the lessor conferences are the big losers in this new era.

Edited by cwdickens
clarify

1 hour ago, B9j2j6s said:

Well this definitly divides the haves and have nots in the NCAA.  Glad the kids are getting paid.  How does this impact title 9?

Saw an interview on CBS Morning Show this AM. They interviewed an "expert" {did not catch his name}. Expert said he DID NOT KNOW if men & women would be 'PAYED" the same and guessed Title 9 like everything else would be going back yo court. ALL sports must be PAID, but had no idea of scale factor the same for all or not. Guessed P5 budgets for salaries would be 20-30 million { but missed if he said 20-30 "additional" or total}. Did say P5s are officially equivalent minor league professional franchises. 

He tried to to comment on the effect on mid major teams; but the CBS interview team seemed un-interested and kept asking him P5 questions. Obviously I was very disturbed about the lack of interest by the staff of CBS. The expert did try to explain there are over 1000 colleges offering ncaa sports; 350 or so DI and only 69 or 70 P5s; but the CBS interview team did not seem interested on the effect of the ruling on the 930 others???????? 

The expert said and I am not sure I got this exactly right; but there would no longer be maximum or minimum # of scholarships by sports. He did say scholarship money would go UP and I think he indicated most teams would have smaller rosters. Like I said I'm not sure I got this right; but if true I guess it would mean less bench players and like the METS (sorry Bob) could buy a championship team and dump them the next year when they did not win.