UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

5 in a row!

Patch,

All true and all good points.

But...

If there is something behind the scenes with Bauman, Knotts, and Connelly that warrants there sitting on the bench in a blowout at home (in front of your family) it must be pretty serious. There three should be separated also. Knotts a senior and Buaman appear that they will most likely not make a meaningful on court contribution to the team. Connelly however is a freshman with expections. I've seen the thin years. A couple of serviceable bench players is really nice. On games when his services aren't needed and you can throw him 2, 3 or 4 minutes straight at the end can only help.

And of course these are all just "meaningless opinions", but thats what makes it fun. Without those we would have no website or any talk radio.

I do understand the coaching staff is in a tough spot. Winning will solve all of that eventually. But if there is a close call do you want to give the administration a chance to say "look we expected a little more and he lost another 2, 3, or 4 players again this year"?

I also sometimes, and I stress sometimes, try to remember these are kids (none of which are heading to the NBA) and getting a couple of minutes on one of the few nights when there was no reason not to would be nice for the kids and their families. Again just my "meaningless opinion", which outside of my own house all mine are.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also sometimes, and I stress sometimes, try to remember these are kids (none of which are heading to the NBA) and getting a couple of minutes on one of the few nights when there was no reason not to would be nice for the kids and their families.  Again just my "meaningless opinion", which outside of my own house all mine are.

11093[/snapback]

Connelly, could if he agreed, still be red-shirted I believe. That may be a possible reason he has not played.

Not sure I'd want him to be red-shirted. With Graham leaving the program, it's nice knowing we have a good size forward to eat up time in case of foul trouble, etc. If he was red-shirted, "starting" his playing time to next year, we'd have (assuming neither was red-shirted) an incoming class of 6'8" Connelly, 6'9" Yocum, and 6'10" Gifford all graduating in the same year..that's a lot of size to lose in one year. Granted that's looking WAY far ahead. Just some random thoughts I guess.

In a perfect world I also would have liked to see the bench emptied the last minute or so of the game.

I do have to say that 20 point blowout wins have been extrodinarily rare over the past 5 years so it's not suprising that Coach Brown doesn't have a system in place to handle them. I'm hoping he gets lots of experience managing them from now through late March.

McFan - your meaningless opinion and my meaningless opinion fuel boards like this and are healthy and even sometimes interesting (well maybe not mine).

I would believe every coach would, if asked, like to play more players and get more guys into games but from the games I watch on TV, etc. and from my perspective Coach K doesn't even get it done.

I think this is DI Hoop and like it or not it more business like. The kids reward is his scholarship (and from what I read,see and hear it's really a fulltime job and not a free ride) with each scholarship comes the opportunity to compete for playing time

I go along with Dane Pound on this one, i.e. playing time for Baumann, Knots, and Connelly. I think that Brown is still adjustung to the fact that he has a bench, something he has not had in his previous 4 years. He does seem to be dristributing time well among 9 players.

Regarding the Bofia incident, all I want to know is whether Lillis or Brent were hurt and will they be 100% tonight and thursday night? Any report?

If there is something behind the scenes with Bauman, Knotts, and Connelly that warrants there sitting on the bench in a blowout at home (in front of your family) it must be pretty serious. 

FWIW, near the end of the game Coach Brown moved down and sat between Knotts and Bauman on the bench, not a place I'm accustomed to seeing him. It didn't appear to be punitve.

Bofia lost total control.  There was at least one other player that pounced on Lillis on the loose ball situation.  Nothing too bad.  I more specifically meant Bofia.  And he did lose control and since that is all I have said I guess I havn't "exaggerated" the situation.

He wasn't provoked unless you call getting blown out of the gym provoked.  I was on that side of the court and on the loose ball, which he never even had his hands on" he jumped on and was swinging away in the direction of the ball.  Unfortunately it was in Lillis' hands the whole time.  Not sure what B. Wilson did as I saw Levi step in to protect and was focused on him.  Actually thought he had the T and it would have been a good one, as was Brents.  Bofia and another player were on top of Lillis and did not stop at the whistle.

11082[/snapback]

Yes, you did exaggerate. You said that the Maine team lost control. That is called an exaggeration of the events that took place.

Jeff,

I guess I see it as a team sport. And when your best and most productive player loses control. You've lost control.

To clear it up for those of you from Maine:

If you are driving down the road with four family members and a moose jumps in front of your car and the driver loses control. The car is out of control.

In case its lost in print that was meant as a bit of humor.

Edited by McFan

I heard a few minutes of Wyland's show this morning. Wyland described the situation with 10 seconds left in the game as Bofia taking an uppercut which barely missed connecting with Brent Wilson's face. Wyland said he spoke with the referee who ejecyed Bofia and the referee told him it was the worst situation he had ever seen in person.

Now, this raised at least one question in my mind, namely if Bofia didn't connect with Brent's face, did he hit Brent somewhere else? I have to assume so because Brent went to the bench and did not shoot his free throws.

To mainejeff : what we saw Saturday night was a very ugly and flagrently bad action by a single Maine player. I can only speak for myself, but I don't think it was reflective of the Maine team, the other Maine players, Coach Woodward or his staff. I don't equate it to the situation of a couple of years ago with the Northeastern team where there were multiple incidents of this nature and it seemed fair to, at least, question whether there was an institutional problem.

I heard a few minutes of Wyland's show this morning.  Wyland described the situation with 10 seconds left in the game as Bofia taking an uppercut which barely missed connecting with Brent Wilson's face.  Wyland said he spoke with the referee who ejecyed Bofia and the referee told him it was the worst situation he had ever seen in person.

Now, this raised at least one question in my mind, namely if Bofia didn't connect with Brent's face, did he hit Brent somewhere else?  I have to assume so because Brent went to the bench and did not shoot his free throws.

To mainejeff :  what we saw Saturday night was a very ugly and flagrently bad action by a single Maine player.  I can only speak for myself, but I don't think it was reflective of the Maine team, the other Maine players, Coach Woodward or his staff.  I don't equate it to the situation of a couple of years ago with the Northeastern team where there were multiple incidents of this nature and it seemed fair to, at least, question whether there was an institutional problem.

11107[/snapback]

Thank-you statefan. That's what I was getting at. In situations like this, it is easy for fans to pile on and "add on" to the actual events that took place. Before you know it the entire Maine team and staff is being dragged through the mud. The Northeastern situation is exactly what I was thinking about. Hopefully, this a one time incident and a hard lesson learned for Bofia. I'm hoping that it was a temporary mind fart, and that something like this will never happen again......if it does, then he deserves the grief that he gets.

Edited by mainejeff

Bofia is suspended for, at least tonight's Maine game vs. Binghamton.

http://www.bangornews.com/news/templates/?a=126894

11132[/snapback]

Amazingly, they still don't know if he will be out for the Vermont game on Sunday???

I take it that your players have recovered from the Bofia beat down? Nice win over the Terriers in Beantown, easily the most overrated team in America East.

Edited by mainejeff

Bofia is suspended for, at least tonight's Maine game vs. Binghamton.

http://www.bangornews.com/news/templates/?a=126894

11132[/snapback]

Amazingly, they still don't know if he will be out for the Vermont game on Sunday???

I take it that your players have recovered from the Bofia beat down? Nice win over the Terriers in Beantown, easily the most overrated team in America East.

11140[/snapback]

Really, the preseason coachs poll had BU in second in the AE and Maine in 3rd. Maine even got a first place vote, so clearly though the games of January 12th, Maine is the most overrtaed team in the league.