UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

It's been a long day but here's a few thoughts from tonights banquet for those who couldn't attend. Hopefully those who did will fill in on what I missed.

Attendance was very good. I can't venture on a number but there were more people there than at most home games during Coach Brown's first year.

The players were brought up by class group starting with the freshman. Coach Brown discussed what each player brought to the team before they came up. Special mention was made of course to the seniors who bought into the program during the lean years and built it into a conference champion.

During the program and after Coach Brown mentioned Gifford in ways I don't recall him talking about any other recruit. I guess I run the risk of hyping him too much but I'm looking forward to seeing him play in person.

Priorities for the 07-08 class seem to be a PG and a wing player.

Also it may be wise to keep Alumni92 away from any potential recruits!

It's been a long day but here's a few thoughts from tonights banquet for those who couldn't attend. Hopefully those who did will fill in on what I missed.

Attendance was very good. I can't venture on a number but there were more people there than at most home games during Coach Brown's first year.

The players were brought up by class group starting with the freshman. Coach Brown discussed what each player brought to the team before they came up. Special mention was made of course to the seniors who bought into the program during the lean years and built it into a conference champion.

During the program and after Coach Brown mentioned Gifford in ways I don't recall him talking about any other recruit. I guess I run the risk of hyping him too much but I'm looking forward to seeing him play in person.

Priorities for the 07-08 class seem to be a PG and a wing player.

Also it may be wise to keep Alumni92 away from any potential recruits!

14356[/snapback]

What exactly was said about Gifford? And why keep potentials away from Alum???

Coach told me afterward he thinks Gifford really will be an impact player, and he'll be ready to play as a freshman.

In news that won't be in any press release:

Hall of Fame fan and former UAlbany Housing Director Howie Woodruff passed away a couple of weeks ago. I know he'd been ill for a long time.

Coach Eaton and Alexis are expecting twins

Coach O'Donnell is getting married in August

Zo received the first Richard 'Doc' Sauers Most Improved Player Award.

Other awards I can remember are Jamar for MVP, Lillis for Academic Excellence, Levi for Leadership, Lu for Defensive POY

Trainer Jack Koelmel will retire this spring after 32 years.

Nothing in the Useless, but the Gazette says attendance was 'more than 150 players, families, staff and alumni'

The VCU game will be mid-week in early December, the trip to Utah Valley State and Utah (NOT Utah State) will be between Xmas and New Year. The full schedule will be announced in a couple of weeks.

Edited by UAalum72

Thanks Alum72 for those tidbits of information.

That is sad news about Howie Woodruff. We overlapped as undergraduates for a few years and I sat with Howie and Bennie Seigel at many football games. There were never more dedicated fans of UAlbany than those two, both now gone.

Also, sorry to see that Jack Koemel is retiring. Jack hales from this part of Massachusetts and still has family here, so I expect that I'll continue to see home now and again. He's super nice person and trainer extraordinaire. Good luck Jack in your retirement!

Thanks Alum72 for those tidbits of information.

That is sad news about Howie Woodruff.  We overlapped as undergraduates for a few years and I sat with Howie and Bennie Seigel at many football games.  There were never more dedicated fans of UAlbany than those two, both now gone.

Also, sorry to see that Jack Koemel is retiring.  Jack hales from this part of Massachusetts and still has family here, so I expect that I'll continue to see home now and again. He's super nice person and trainer extraordinaire.  Good luck Jack in your retirement!

14366[/snapback]

Bennie...wow..was there anyone cooler back when fans were BLAH?! his gear (including his beret) was unreal.

I agree that Jack is a class act all the way. I can't help but think that his retirement is tied to the speed bump that he had with his health earlier in the academic year. I wish Jack the best and I am glad that I got to see him in Philly!

The banquet was great and I really hope it becomes an annual thing.

I did have a good time sitting with my table and I can't belive that there is someone out there that travels for atheltic events more than I do, you know who I'm talking about.

Thanks for a great night!

sss

Edited by JonUA97

One other item: the Varsity Club pregame gatherings will probably be held in a section of University Gym next year, having outgrown the Hall of Fame Room by the end of last season. I hope there are no conflicts with volleyball matches.

One other item: the Varsity Club pregame gatherings will probably be held in a section of University Gym next year, having outgrown the Hall of Fame Room by the end of last season. I hope there are no conflicts with volleyball matches.

14487[/snapback]

Who or what is the Varstiy Club?

There are Varsity Club events in other locations.  Only $35 goes to VC.  $40 goes to Alumni Assoc. Dues.  Ask not what VC can do for you...................................

14509[/snapback]

Does that mean if you are already a paid in full member of the alumni association it only costs $35 to join the varsity club?

There are Varsity Club events in other locations.  Only $35 goes to VC.  $40 goes to Alumni Assoc. Dues.  Ask not what VC can do for you...................................

14509[/snapback]

Does that mean if you are already a paid in full member of the alumni association it only costs $35 to join the varsity club?