UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Just a crazy idea

I was wondering if the AD's would agree to this being a fair deal for both teams. Since the current contract was made during our infancy in D-I it heavily favors Siena and rightfully so, as they have been on the D-I level for quite sometime at that stage and could dictate terms. Now that we've matured in D-I standards with going to the NCAA's last year and going to 2 OT last night, I wonder if the idea for playing two games a year has grown? If so IMO it would it be a fair deal to give Siena the same allotment of tickets that we get for the Pepsi I believe its 1,500 if they were to play at SEFCU. Siena would then in turn give the same allotment of tickets to UA for the game at the Pepsi. It seems fair to me at SEFCU we would have 3,038 tickets and Siena would have 1,500 for that game, not everyone would be able to go to that game at the Q so they would want/have to go to the PEPSI for that game and you would still draw the same amount of people that attended last nights game.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was wondering if the AD's would agree to this being a fair deal for both teams.  Since the current contract was made during our infancy in D-I it heavily favors Siena and rightfully so, as they have been on the D-I level for quite sometime at that stage and could dictate terms.  Now that we've matured in D-I standards with going to the NCAA's last year and going to 2 OT last night, I wonder if the idea for playing two games a year has grown?  If so IMO it would it be a fair deal to give Siena the same allotment of tickets that we get for the Pepsi I believe its 1,500 if they were to play at SEFCU.  Siena would then in turn give the same allotment of tickets to UA for the game at the Pepsi.  It seems fair to me at SEFCU we would have 3,038 tickets and Siena would have 1,500 for that game, not everyone would be able to go to that game at the Q so they would want/have to go to the PEPSI for that game and you would still draw the same amount of people that attended last nights game.

18161[/snapback]

Just my 2 cents on this

On the surface not a bad idea, but not sure Siena would go for it, with 3000 season ticket holders how does Siena choose what fans get the tickets? How many does Siena put aside for students etc? My guess is Siena ups Albany’s allotment for the game from 1500 to 2500 or 3000 tickets at 18 bucks a pop that’s between 45 and 50 K in revenue for Albany.. Not a bad paycheck for a nights work , where Albany doesn’t have to travel ( so no bus and airplane fatigue ) and still gets 4000 of its fans to cheer on its team

I don't know, I'm against playing two. I like the idea of one for all the marbles. I'm also against playing it at the CUE. If they doubled our allotment to 3000 or maybe 4000 we could make a little pocket change on the road. And trust me, if we play this game more then once a year. All that energy and passion would not be there. As it stands right now, the enticipation for the game builds all year and comes to the forefront once a year. I would rather have one game like the one last night. Then two games going through the motions. Just my 2 cents.

I was wondering if the AD's would agree to this being a fair deal for both teams.  Since the current contract was made during our infancy in D-I it heavily favors Siena and rightfully so, as they have been on the D-I level for quite sometime at that stage and could dictate terms.  Now that we've matured in D-I standards with going to the NCAA's last year and going to 2 OT last night, I wonder if the idea for playing two games a year has grown?  If so IMO it would it be a fair deal to give Siena the same allotment of tickets that we get for the Pepsi I believe its 1,500 if they were to play at SEFCU.  Siena would then in turn give the same allotment of tickets to UA for the game at the Pepsi.  It seems fair to me at SEFCU we would have 3,038 tickets and Siena would have 1,500 for that game, not everyone would be able to go to that game at the Q so they would want/have to go to the PEPSI for that game and you would still draw the same amount of people that attended last nights game.

18161[/snapback]

Just my 2 cents on this

On the surface not a bad idea, but not sure Siena would go for it, with 3000 season ticket holders how does Siena choose what fans get the tickets? How many does Siena put aside for students etc? My guess is Siena ups Albany’s allotment for the game from 1500 to 2500 or 3000 tickets at 18 bucks a pop that’s between 45 and 50 K in revenue for Albany.. Not a bad paycheck for a nights work , where Albany doesn’t have to travel ( so no bus and airplane fatigue ) and still gets 4000 of its fans to cheer on its team

18162[/snapback]

Doesn't Siena already have procedure in place to choose which ticket holders get tickets for their road games and neutral court games like the NCAA's. UA has procedures in place as to which ticket holders get NCAA tickets. (maybe Siena no longer expects to make the NCAA,expects they will get 3000 seats or expects none of their fans will travel) This would be no differentthan any other road game. It will be interesting to see what is agreed to by the AD's. Your proposal still short changes UA from the true dollars of this games. Most series against equal teams Siena gets one home game and sells 4500 -5000 seats and one road game and sells 0 seats. Under Tony's proposal Siena gets 2 home games and keeps 8000 seats each.(11000 - 3000)

I'm sure they'll come to a more equitable agreement for this game in the future and I don't think it will be two games.

To me the Pepsi is the only place big enough. Optimally (for Albany fans anyway) it would be considered a neutral site. Have a purple side and a green side. Siena season ticket holders (4,000-5,000?) get the best lower seats on green side. Albany season ticket holders get the best seats on purple side. Anyone buying tickets off the street gets asked (like at a wedding) green side or purple side? Split the revenue.

I'm sure they'll come to a more equitable agreement for this game in the future and I don't think it will be two games.

To me the Pepsi is the only place big enough. Optimally (for Albany fans anyway) it would be considered a neutral site. Have a purple side and a green side. Siena season ticket holders (4,000-5,000?) get the best lower seats on green side. Albany season ticket holders get the best seats on purple side. Anyone buying tickets off the street gets asked (like at a wedding) green side or purple side? Split the revenue.

18166[/snapback]

Thats seems to be the fairest way...but do you think Siena will agree to this? Seems to me that if they agree they will be acknowledging that we are on equal footing? For some reason I don't see that happening. Maybe its just me.

Yea Bob lets equate a regular season game to a NCAA ticket allotment… a game played 5 miles from the campus. Bob I think I’ll put you in the rider raver category (no credibility)

I think most reasonable Albany fans understand the Pepsi is the only place big enough to hold the game. The only thing the AD’s have to work out is a more equitable sharing of the proceeds and I’m confident the two sides will come to an agreement that pleases most Albany and Siena fans (well it might not please the fringe maniac fans that evidently carry a grudge)

Yea Bob lets equate a regular season  game to a NCAA ticket allotment… a game played 5  miles from the campus. Bob I think I’ll put you in the rider raver category (no credibility)

I think most reasonable Albany fans understand the Pepsi is the only place big enough to hold the game. The only thing the AD’s have to work out is a more equitable sharing of the proceeds and I’m confident the two sides will come to an agreement that pleases most Albany and Siena fans (well it might not please the fringe maniac fans that evidently carry a grudge)

18171[/snapback]

Yeah Tony.

2 other Dane fans also suggest fair ideas, but you rather resort to calling me names instead of being logical. To me just as when 2 conference opponents play home and home the size of the arena or the distance between them is a non factor, it should be that way between 2 equal OOC teams. The only difference is I agree that instead of 2 games each season the 2 games are played over 2 seasons.

Besides I never said I wouldn't be satisfied with splitting the arena right down the middle as an alternative to my preferred home and home if the finances are right for Albany. It is many of your fans that said they "could not move" from their seats under any conditions.

Over here we usually save our name calling for Siena and we usually repect other fans opinions if they have a basis.

Yea Bob lets equate a regular season  game to a NCAA ticket allotment… a game played 5  miles from the campus. Bob I think I’ll put you in the rider raver category (no credibility)

18171[/snapback]

Yeah Tony.

2 other Dane fans also suggest fair ideas, but you rather resort to calling me names instead of being logical. To me just as when 2 conference opponents play home and home the size of the arena or the distance between them is a non factor, it should be that way between 2 equal OOC teams. The only difference is I agree that instead of 2 games each season the 2 games are played over 2 seasons.

Besides I never said I wouldn't be satisfied with splitting the arena right down the middle as an alternative to my preferred home and home if the finances are right for Albany. It is many of your fans that said they "could not move" from their seats under any conditions.

Over here we usually save our name calling for Siena and we usually repect other fans opinions if they have a basis.

18173[/snapback]

Sorry Bob… you’ve been doing most of the name calling… other than the notable exception of you Bob most of the Albany fans have been gracious in defeat ( very classy IMHO) hey its fun to talk a little smack before the game. But at the end of the day, after the game I respect ualb fans and their program. Siena’s AD has his motives for what he does and so does Ualb AD, hopefully the two can make equitable arrangement fair to both schools. Instead of ridicules statements made by an over the top zealot Albany fan consumed with hatred of Siena and Siena fans. Newsflash Bob this is mid major hoops.. the game is over.. I wish Albany well the rest of the way!! Have a great day Bob and a happy holiday!!

Here's my take -- oh, no, not again -- on the future contract situation between Albany and Siena.

First of all, I want to explain my situation last night. Many of you, I think, will identify with my circumstances. The seat I had last night was the WORST seat I have ever had for any type of indoor event, whether it be for a sports event or some cultural event. Once I found my seat, I was condemned to sit there through a whole regulation period and two overtimes. I was so squeezed in my little space that I could not move at all during the game. In addition, I could not see the action on the floor very well, and the public address system didn't help explain what I was missing on the floor. I had to pay $18 for this discomfort and disadvantage; whereas, I have a premium seat at SEFCU for half the expense.

The only place in town to handle such a rivalry is downtown Albany. Since the rivalry is so heated now between the schools, playing more than one regular game per season would cheapen the whole event. Playing two regular games per season does not make sense to me.

For the last three years, our average margin of victory over Siena is 4 points. I think we have more than proved our equality to them. We also bring the loudest fans into the arena, and we are approaching the same number of fans in the arena as they bring. We are equals now, and we proved that again last night.

All that aside, the point of being treated fairly by Siena as far as hosting games is really irrelevant anyway. Saints' fans constantly ride Rider, for example, as far as competitiveness; yet, each and every year they play a home-and-away series. Nobody from Loudonville questions this setup. Nobody questions whether Rider or any other MAAC opponent lowers Siena's RPI rating; yet, we continually see a large number of Siena fans question whether UAlbany is a worthy enough opponent to have a fair and equitable contract for playing games.

So what am I proposing? I think we should alternate the downtown arena as a home site each year. The current contract ends this year, and all provisions are now open for negotiation. Any current encumbrances to writing a contract with equitable terms can now be swept away.

The exclusionary clause about a second team playing in that arena within a certain number of days within Siena's home games can now be abolished. That clause targeted UAlbany and only UAlbany, and it was blatantly discriminatory against us. It can now disappear like the dinosaur.

The idea of having one side of the arena devoted to UAlbany fans while Siena fans get the other side will not work. The Siena fans with season ticket on the UAlbany side would have a legitimate grievance about losing their seats. How will Siena be able to compensate them? Giving them other seats in the arena will not be viable because those fans will receive worse seats than their usual places.

The only viable plan is to alternate home status every two years. If Siena fans don't like visitor status and refuse to attend, too bad! With time, most of them will recognize the original injustice of the first two contracts and get over it. I'm quite sure that if the rivalry continues, somebody else will be willing to take the places of those who cannot reconcile themselves to the new reality. Their complaint that their season ticket holders won't buy into the idea is totally irrelevant.

In the season where they are considered the away team in the UAlbany-Siena game, Siena would then have the libertyof scheduling another home game, even if they have to host NJIT twice in one season.

I was much angrier last night about my seat in the arena than I was about the outcome of the game. I totally dislike the injustice of the current setup. Here's one ROSA who refuses year-in, year-out to PARK it in the back of the arena. I intend to make my views known to our athletic administration. The time is now to receive fair action on this problem.

Obviously, the terms of the new contract will have to be more equitable. Whether its alternating home games, or a variation on Tony's proposal for fairer ticket allotment, the new deal must reflect the growth of the UA program. If Siena doesn't compromise, I can see this series coming to an end. No one wants that to happen, but the reality is that Albany no longer needs to play Siena to get respect/attention. We like the Siena game, and its great fun for the fans, but we don't need it to legitimize the program.

I think all of the decision makers are aware of this, and will do what it takes to work out a fair deal going forward.

. . . I think all of the decision makers are aware of this, and will do what it takes to work out a fair deal going forward.

18177[/snapback]

Our administators are certainly aware of the problem. We do not give them enough credit sometimes for their decisions; nevertheless, I don't think it hurts to notify them of our concerns. I think it must be helpful to them to have our opinions behind them when they confront the other side.

. . . I think all of the decision makers are aware of this, and will do what it takes to work out a fair deal going forward.

18177[/snapback]

Our administators are certainly aware of the problem. We do not give them enough credit sometimes for their decisions; nevertheless, I don't think it hurts to notify them of our concerns. I think it must be helpful to them to have our opinions behind them when they confront the other side.

18179[/snapback]

Well said, Olddog71. Give opinions is what I and other users do on this forum. We may not all agree on the solution, but the current setup is inequitable and as a fan of UA, I don't think is does us any good a this point to continue a 100% road series against at best an equal.

Nor do I particularly care for Tony coming over here claiming I didn't give them enough credit or wasn't gracious enough after all the crap they have done over the last 8 seasons. Seems to me, that is ST standard procedure when he can not make a case for his point.

Tell me ST how it is beneficial to UA for the situation to continue. Just like I am still waiting for any of you Siena fans to tell me how it would have been beneficial for UA to enter your failed proposed tournament with 1 other team and give up our game against Bucknell.

For the record I did post somewhere in the last 24 hours that some of the Siena players looked really good last night.

Since it was the first time I saw them play this season, I don't yet know if that is always the case. I try never to judge any performance on just one game. But early returns are that some of their players may in fact live up to the hype the have gotten. Given Siena's history of over hyping in the last few years, I was intending that as a compliment to the current freshman.

Bob87 I agree with you that it isn't right that we have to have a 100% road series. However I don't think ST has said that the current contract we have is fair,

"hopefully the two (AD) can make equitable arrangement fair to both schools." I believe that this is the way things will head, the two programs as we saw last night are equal so we should have an equal contract. Though I would like to see a 2 game series it might be better for all involved that it happens only 1 time a year, especially how worked up all of us get for it. As I said in a previous thread is that this game aside from all the hype is just another OOC basketball game in a long season which will hopefully result in another NCAA birth (yes I called this game meaningless but I want to back off using that word).

IMO since we lost last year and made the NCAA's I would say that I would take a loss to Siena every year if it ment winning the confrence, and going to the dance. To me national exposure is what truly helps a program grow not a local rivalry that is not even broadcast in the area.

Bob87 I agree with you that it isn't right that we have to have a 100% road series.  However I don't think ST has said that the current contract we have is fair,

"hopefully the two (AD) can make equitable arrangement fair to both schools."  I believe that this is the way things will head, the two programs as we saw last night are equal so we should have an equal contract.  Though I would like to see a 2 game series it might be better for all involved that it happens only 1 time a year, especially how worked up all of us get for it.  As I said in a previous thread is that this game aside from all the hype is just another OOC basketball game in a long season which will hopefully result in another NCAA birth (yes I called this game  meaningless but I want to back off using that word). 

IMO since we lost last year and made the NCAA's I would say that I would take a loss to Siena every year if it ment winning the confrence, and going to the dance. To me national exposure is what truly helps a program grow not a local rivalry that is not even broadcast in the area.

18189[/snapback]

B9j2j6s,

I found ST solution of UA keeping 100% road games in the Siena series, but throwing us a few extra tickets to be insulting. ST "My guess is Siena ups Albany’s allotment for the game from 1500 to 2500 or 3000 tickets"

He is entitled to his opinion as I am mine. I also found his rational as to why you can't have a fair series to be weak and others here like Big D, olddog71,danefan and Danepound also offered solutions to any of the issues.

I also stated reasons and he resorted to name calling.

I agree with you that this game should be once a year and I agree that hopefully this game will help the team later in the season to hopefully make the NCAA's.

I will be at 7 of the next 8 games over the next month and am looking forward to hopefully seeing the team continue to improve.

Archived