UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

LCC Game 2007

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is by no means a definitive answer. I had thought that the 2006 game was the final under the existing contract, but i have been told by someone in the athletic department that the 2007 game is the final under the existing contract. I believe it is scheduled to be played at the Times Union Center on Saturday, December 1, 2007. Whether it is an afternoon or an evening game is dependent of the River Rats schedule, as the River Rats contracts trumps Siena's in priority.

I appear to be in the minority of posters on this question. IMO, the Albany - Siena game should always be played at the largest available facility. I feel we bring more to the table now than we did when the previous contracts were negotiated, both in terms of on-court competitiveness and in terms of ticket-buying fans, therefore, i think we should be able to negotiate better terms, which i view as a larger share of the revenue and some better seating. I am not suggesting equal revenue or equal seating with Siena, just an improvement over the current situation. I would think one-half of one side of the lower bowl, from mid-court to behind the basket would be an appropriate starting point. I really don't care who wears the dark uniforms or is listed as "visitor" on a scoreboard, but i would like to see the player introductions be balanced and eliminate the spotlight introduction of the Siena players for that game.

This is by no means a definitive answer. I had thought that the 2006 game was the final under the existing contract, but i have been told by someone in the athletic department that the 2007 game is the final under the existing contract. I believe it is scheduled to be played at the Times Union Center on Saturday, December 1, 2007. Whether it is an afternoon or an evening game is dependent of the River Rats schedule, as the River Rats contracts trumps Siena's in priority.

I appear to be in the minority of posters on this question. IMO, the Albany - Siena game should always be played at the largest available facility. I feel we bring more to the table now than we did when the previous contracts were negotiated, both in terms of on-court competitiveness and in terms of ticket-buying fans, therefore, i think we should be able to negotiate better terms, which i view as a larger share of the revenue and some better seating. I am not suggesting equal revenue or equal seating with Siena, just an improvement over the current situation. I would think one-half of one side of the lower bowl, from mid-court to behind the basket would be an appropriate starting point. I really don't care who wears the dark uniforms or is listed as "visitor" on a scoreboard, but i would like to see the player introductions be balanced and eliminate the spotlight introduction of the Siena players for that game.

statefan,

I believe we are both in the minority. I've stated before that this game should be played at the TUC because of the seating limitation. If the CUE could accommodate 8 or 9 thousand people, even though it's a little smaller then the demand for tickets, I would be pushing for the games to be a true home and home. I also don't care who the away team is.

The financial terms of the deal must be completely reworked, we should get a substantial bump in tickets from which we keep the revenue minus the portion that TUC keeps. The seating must be improved. We've all heard the excuses for why this can't happen. I say don't include the game as a part of the Siena season ticket package and move Siena people out of their seats. UA doesn't include it as part of their season tickets neither should Siena. I say split the lower bowl right down the middle and call it a day. When this most recent contract was negotiated we were not in a position to dictate terms, we now are more so then ever.

If the contract is not improved and Siena+TUC reap the financial/seating benefits then screw the game. Yes, it would be a shame since the last two games have been some of the most exciting basketball I've ever seen but if they continue to $iena on us and treat us like second class citizens then Siena can go and schedule NJIT and enjoy the 5000+ fans in the arena. Thats just my .02!

I agree...I don't mind having it at the TUC, but it should be neutralized a bit. We're always announced as "The Visiting Albany Great Danes" and they're always announced as "YOUR Siena College Saints." Changing little things such as that, at least initially, would be a good improvement.

I do have a question though...How come the game is not televised? Would it really cut down that much on attendence to put it on TW3 or something? You would think that filling up a pretty large arena would look good for both schools on TV, even if it is just locally.

Regarding the previous posts, I'm not so sure that you guys are in the minority in wanting the game at the Times Union Center. I think most of us are relatively okay with the game at the TUC, though myself, for example, simply dream of having at least one game at the SEFCU someday because we know how wild it would be! But with respect to the game at the TUC, I think what most people are upset about is the ticket revenue and seating structure.

In my view, I'm understand why the game should probably be at the TUC, but I'm okay with this only on the condition that we are considered the home team every other year (i.e., player introductions and our people/staff doing the in-game games and competitions, etc.). For example, I don't want to look up at the scoreboard in the TUC and see Siena's scheduled games for the season, unless we get that same equal access. I also don't want to see other advertisements for Siena around the arena unless we get that same access. If we are the home team every other year, then it's our designated home arena, and we get to turn the TUC into our home arena for one night, irrespective of Siena and their common practices at the TUC. Being the home team should include all of the perks (to the extent possible) that go along with being a home team. One such example of this would be placing Siena in the visiting locker room and so on.

If we are the home team every other year at the TUC, then UA should work with the TUC directly, and the game should be considered a UAlbany event, with the arena being rented out by UAlbany directly. Essentially, the TUC would be our home arena every other year for this game. If Siena won't budge, then perhaps this is precisely the way to go about doing this: UAlbany can independently go to the Times Union Center and schedule a game where we could host Siena. The agreement with the TUC would be between UAlbany and the TUC. Siena can then come play us at our one-game-every-other-year arena on OUR terms. If Siena plays hardball, then I would speculate that we would basically need at least two contracts: one for Siena to come play us at our designated "home arena" every other year (whereby we would then designate the TUC as our home arena), and the second contract would be solely with the TUC for use of the facility for one of our home basketball games.

Regardless of which team is the home team in a given year, ticket sales and seating must be 50/50 (unless we are forced to go and independently contract with the TUC to host a game, in which case we could do to Siena what they have done to us every year at the TUC). As mentioned above, Siena needs to simply not include the game in its season-ticket package. Absent these terms, I would, as a fan, rather not see us play Siena at all. I don't mind losing back-to-back OT games to Siena as nearly as much as I mind all the "business stuff" going on to date.

I think the bottom line that I'm getting at here is overall fairness, and fairness goes beyond seats and ticket revenue. It includes all kinds of things that go on at the TUC during a Siena game (games and contests during timeouts, lockerrooms, signs, player introductions, etc.). I do not know all that is involved when hosting a basketball game, but the Athletic Department surely does, and someone with more knowledge could explain all of the perks of a home game better than I can.

Thoughts?

Regarding the Siena game, I agree with much of what has been posted here yesterday and today.

We need to remove the Siena arrogance regarding the current terms of the contract that rules the game. The annual game should be played at the TUC because no other local venue could host the expected capacity of spectators.

Seating needs to be equalized.

Ticket revenue needs to be equalized.

Treatment of the team regarding home-away status needs to be equalized.

I have a couple other pet peeves regarding the game. With both teams on the ascendancy in the last couple seasons, there is no excuse that the 2006 game was not a sellout or a near sellout.

Part of the reason for the lower than expected turnout deals with ticket prices. They are exorbitant for what you get in return. I paid twice as much money for my inferior seat than I would at SEFCU. Other fans paid even more. Ticket prices need to come down. Many people cannot afford to bring themselves and their families to the event. This game should not be targeting just higher-income professionals. It is a COMMUNITY event.

The parking situation needs to be improved to attract more fans. Those of us who park in the SEFCU lot are spoiled in comparison with the parking at TUC. Even if one has to park over at Dutch Quad, we are spoiled. In contrast, parking at the TUC garage is horrible. I learned my lesson several years ago never to leave my car in the garage. When it takes an hour to leave the parking facility, it is a waste of time. How many people are discouraged about going to the game when they know they won't be leaving downtown Albany until 11 p.m.? Fans can park at another lot, as I have done, or the City of Albany can spend the money raked in from 10 ticket sales to post a policeman at the exit of the parking garage to direct traffic. As it was the last time I parked in the garage, the traffic light allowed only two or three vehicles to pass from the garage when no other traffic was coming in other directions. In summary, the light allowed the garage to spit out only 2 or three cars every minute.

The two schools and the City of Albany and TUC officials can do a lot more to make the game more attractive. This game should be the showcase basketball game of the Northeast (with possible exceptions of the NYC and Boston markets) during the OOC season.

I hope the people who make decisions about this event read our concerns.

olddog71, you make a very good point about how this game should be a sellout. My biggest qualm with the game is that the tickets didn't go on sale until October 15, 2006 last year!!!!! That's ridiculous! They should go on sale during the summer or spring! I want my Siena vs. UAlbany ticket now (or at least when season tickets go on sale) not in October when Siena and the TUC get around to selling them (sorry, just anxious). But seriously, if the tickets went on sale earlier, you might help sell some more tickets. Allow more time for people to plan for the trip. Out-of-town alumni need to book hotels and set travel plans too.

As for ticket prices, I agree that this is a citywide event. Perhaps the lowering of ticket prices ever so slightly for this particular game could be offset by the city? I don't know, just thinking out loud ... . There isn't a realy clear answer on this one. The TUC probably doesn't care about a community event, though if they sold the place out on a Saturday, they would probably more than make up for the lower ticket prices in increased concessions sales!

I agree w/ the parking concerns. I usually park in Dutch Quad, and I enjoy the walk!

Regarding the Siena game, I agree with much of what has been posted here yesterday and today.

We need to remove the Siena arrogance regarding the current terms of the contract that rules the game. The annual game should be played at the TUC because no other local venue could host the expected capacity of spectators.

This is a topic that pushes my button.

Has anyone noticed that that towrds the end of the games the last 3 years, the security contingent has swooped down to make sure the rowdies behind the basket contingent don't rush the court. I know they do it for both ends of the court, but there are 5 - 8 gray coated ushers at the LCC end and we ( & I'm serious) have double the usher / security folks standing in front of our end. That's an insult that says that our fans are more ill-mannered than their fans. (We both have our share, but it's not 1-sided.)

I have had conversations with the a security supervisor & he denies that it happens & then laughs. It's all part of the one-upsmanship that goes on.

You wouldn't believe the hoops that had to be jumped through when we had graduations down at The Pepsi. The management didn't see the need to take down the Siena banners / Siena ads and would only cover them after assertive requets.

Let's be real. That venue will continue to side with Siena until it becomes politically fruitful for the city administration to advocate a fairer, level playing field. We see a need to change things but the status quo doesn't have a reason in the world to change it - ------------ unless maybe it means a loss of a capacity crowd & downtown business 2 or 3 seasons in a row. Having the game at the Cue is a pipe dream & I don't think it's a viable issue unfortunately.

It's a shame LCC is so one dimensional w/ their sports program. We could show them the same hospitality at our new football stadium if they were burly enough to stap on shoulder pads.

Good posts. Of course the game should be played downtown - that is the community's arena. It belongs to the community, as does the game at this point. We've paid our dues.

Either its neutral in every respect including off the Siena season ticket offer, or we should not play. It would be a great loss, to both schools, and to the greater community, but there's absolutely no reason for us to place ourselves at even the slightest disadvantage.

Good posts. Of course the game should be played downtown - that is the community's arena. It belongs to the community, as does the game at this point. We've paid our dues.

Either its neutral in every respect including off the Siena season ticket offer, or we should not play. It would be a great loss, to both schools, and to the greater community, but there's absolutely no reason for us to place ourselves at even the slightest disadvantage.

Agreed, equal treatment in every respect, or no game. Sadly, I think I am beginning to realize, based in part from some of the previous posts, that we may never get equal treatment from the TUC and Siena.

Upon further reflection, and based partly on the previous posts, I have changed my mind: I want the game to be played at the SEFCU Arena every other year. This game belongs to the UAlbany community as well as the Siena community, and we have as much a right as them to have the game at our place every other year, use our parking space, and pre/post-game at our places of choice (i.e., Across the Street Pub, for example). Regarding the game being a part of the community at large, I'm not sure I understand what this means. This game is focussed on by (i.e., "belongs to") the Siena and UAlbany alumni, students, and fans of the community. We make up half, or more, of that community. Reading the previous posts about how one-sided the TUC is, I simply do not care that many Siena fans will not be able to see the game every other year. They can turn on FOX Radio and listen to the game. Given that we do not get fair treatment of ticket revenue and allocation only makes me care even less about the Siena season ticket holders and access to the game for Siena fans. I want the game at the SEFCU. I do not care about the Siena community and their season ticket holders because they have not shown us equal treatment. HAVE UALBANY'S SEASON TICKET HOLDERS GOTTEN ANY PREFERENCE AT THE TUC UP TO THIS POINT? NO, BECAUSE SIENA'S SEATHOLDERS DO, SO WHY SHOULD SIENA SEASON TICKET HOLDERS GET ANY INDIVIDUALIZED TREATMENT AT THE SEFCU.

If Siena wants the game at the TUC every year, which I would be opposed to, then they must at a minimum bear the burden to demonstrate that they have taken every step possible to make the facility be our home arena every other year (haha, put it in the contract and give UA a right to opt out of the game if the TUC is not up to "SEFCU specs"; that'll make them hear our qualms).

You guys bring up some interesting points.

I agree Siena should do something to give Albany some better seats in the lower bowl

Ticket revenue is equalized, I believe Ualb gets 3000 tickets to sell at 18 bucks a pop its probably already Ualbanys biggest payday of the year. Siena avg attendance is over twice that of Albany so 2/3 of the revenue should go to Siena. Fair is fair.. no way we spilt the revenue.

Treatment of the team regarding home-away status needs to be equalized

What do you want? Albany travels 5 min down the road for its biggest annual game of the year. Personally I hope the series continues, but if Albany makes unreasonable demands then I say forget it… and instead of the NJIT you guys like to quote how about another Stanford or St Joe’s…or Holy Cross Etc all scheduled for the TUC this season

Albany still has more to gain for this game than Siena… if not you guys should feel free to walk away from the game. Besides some tweaks ( better seats and possibly more tickets to sell ) the game won’t change much. Hopefully your AD is much more savvy than some of you guys, I swear some of you on this board are like old women.

ST, your arguments would have had merit about 5 years ago. There is parity now (although Siena has been absent from any post season play for awhile) and this game should no longer belong to Siena. Siena only has 2/3 of the fans because the game is in the season package and your fans (many of them homely old ladies) have the better seats.

Two D-1 teams in one city - the game belongs to the city.

You guys bring up some interesting points.

I agree Siena should do something to give Albany some better seats in the lower bowl

Ticket revenue is equalized, I believe Ualb gets 3000 tickets to sell at 18 bucks a pop its probably already Ualbanys biggest payday of the year. Siena avg attendance is over twice that of Albany so 2/3 of the revenue should go to Siena. Fair is fair.. no way we spilt the revenue.

Treatment of the team regarding home-away status needs to be equalized

What do you want? Albany travels 5 min down the road for its biggest annual game of the year. Personally I hope the series continues, but if Albany makes unreasonable demands then I say forget it… and instead of the NJIT you guys like to quote how about another Stanford or St Joe’s…or Holy Cross Etc all scheduled for the TUC this season

Albany still has more to gain for this game than Siena… if not you guys should feel free to walk away from the game. Besides some tweaks ( better seats and possibly more tickets to sell ) the game won’t change much. Hopefully your AD is much more savvy than some of you guys, I swear some of you on this board are like old women.

Tony,

You post is laughable.

1) Our biggest games of the last 2 years has been the NCAA game and the AE title game. The Siena game is at best 3rd although I would have it below Bucknell at home and at Utah last season.

2) Siena is gaining more from this game than Albany. The numbers I have been given is that Albany gets 1500 tickets. That works out to $54,000 over 2 years, not chump change but less than UConn and less than Utah. Siena sells about 20,000 tickets less 3000 for Albany over the 2 years. Using your $18, that works out to $306,000. The prices are higher for the Albany game than an average Siena opponent. An average Siena OOC opponent over 2 years would be home and home. Therefore 5,000 fans and 0 fans to Siena at an average of say $15 a pop. That works out $75,000. I'll be kind and give Siena 6,000 which would be $90,000. That provides Siena a net benefit of $216,000 vs a gross benefit of $54,000 to UA.

BTW, our AD is much more savvy than you Siena guys. Your fans wanted us to join your failed tournament last season. I suspect 1 reason it didn't happen was there was no benefit to subsiding a Siena/maac tournament and you will see on the next contract how much if any UA continues to subsidize Siena athletics.

As for the other ooc oppenents you quote, good for you. I don't see any of them playing 2 years out of 2 in Albany, so even if you can match the 10,000 from the Albany game this year you still lose the attendence from the year you are away.

Siena avg 6000 fans a game not 5000( and next season with Siena fantastic home schedule look for that number to approach 7000 a game)

Siena charges more for several games a season.. ( Marist, Manhattan and next season Stanford and St Joe’) So it’s not only the Albany game with a premium charge on it

Siena pays for cost of the arena, ticket takers.. clean up afterward etc.

As for what Siena gets…. What is it to you?… Siena will sell close to 17,000 tickets for Stanford and St Joe’s. It’s not like Siena needs Albany to get a big crowd…. That would be like me saying Albany gets 3000 fans at 8 bucks a pop for a regular season home game for revenue of 24K minus costs… Albany probably nets 20K… now normally you play home and home so that works out to 10K for the home game… instead your getting guaranteed money every year for the Siena game. If you get 3000 tickets to a Siena game @ 18 bucks a pop for 54K with no cost… that 250% better than you get for a typical home game… some pretty serious money for a low major team with a 900K basketball budget, so don’t talk like Albany isn’t getting more revenue than a typical home game And if you are correct that Albany only gets 1500 tickets I have no problem with Siena upping Albany’s ticket allotment. In fact I have no problem with allot of you guys suggestions minus a few… Siena has the larger avg attendance ( double that of Albany’s) no way we spilt the revenue. Since Siena has a bigger fan base no way you get one whole side of the arena, although I do think Siena can do a better job of getting Albany better seats in the lower bowl , if that aint good enough forget about it… we have nothing to prove since we have “owned" Albany since the series resumed.. What is it 5-1? So Bob I can see your frustration

It's a big game, a fun game but no longer the biggest game of the year by a pretty wide margin. I don't really see that as the issue though.

If the revenue is the same (not really my department) and I can get halfway decent seats (my department) than it's a big step in the right direction. My problem with the game has been other than the tournament game in Columbus it's been my most expensive road game ticket and my worst road game seat. Those two things don't make for a good combination.

Archived