UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

New Blog entry

Dam them be fighting words

Brown called Tuesday night to confirm the Martin signing and add that fall signee Anthony Raffa, also a point guard, is still coming to UAlbany, despite Internet rumors to the contrary.)

Brown concludes his blog entry by taking a shot either at a) fan message boards; b ) the media; or c) both. It must be tough having people interested in your program. I’m sure it was much more fun when the team was 5-23 and hardly anyone cared."

I would think they had a pretty solid relationship since CB called him....weird! I agree...them are fighting words. It's all fun and games until someone loses and eye, then it's just plain fun.

Personally, I think Mark is a hack. Seriously, guys get paid less than him to to do ten times the job. There would be much less speculation if Mark actually developed a relationship with our program.

It is a relationship of convenience for Mark: big story...he gets. Not a story for a month...then he gets. A real reporter worth his salt would take the ten minutes, and the tax write off, to join Rivals, etc. and then make a call to Will and ask him about the signing and....then write a story.

Instead, Mark mills this board for his stories.

In a major town...that is a hack reporting job by the so called "team" assigned reporter.

I have always felt this about Rodger, btw, as well.

I would think they had a pretty solid relationship since CB called him....weird! I agree...them are fighting words. It's all fun and games until someone loses and eye, then it's just plain fun.

Personally, I think Mark is a hack. Seriously, guys get paid less than him to to do ten times the job. There would be much less speculation if Mark actually developed a relationship with our program.

It is a relationship of convenience for Mark: big story...he gets. Not a story for a month...then he gets. A real reporter worth his salt would take the ten minutes, and the tax write off, to join Rivals, etc. and then make a call to Will and ask him about the signing and....then write a story.

Instead, Mark mills this board for his stories.

In a major town...that is a hack reporting job by the so called "team" assigned reporter.

I have always felt this about Rodger, btw, as well.

I agree wholeheardetly with you 96. I just never really said anything for fear of alienating the only media attention we were getting. Watch, as soon as the Giants come to town...the reporting on UA gets even worse. Then comes the "public desire" response and my obligatory "chicken or the egg" comment.

Someone ask Singleas to comment on the UA's OOC football schedule next year. I seriously doubt he would even be able to tell us the conference Montana plays in or who Central's big money game is next year without doing research first. And when I say research I mean searching this board.

I will qualify that statement by saying that it was purely my opinion and would love to be proven wrong via full fledged reporting!

Thats my media rant for tonight....back to studying secured transactions.....hmmm...purchase money security interests....don't be jealous!!!!!

Wait a minute. Will called Tuesday night (assuming that's today, otherwise thanks for the timely reporting, Mark) and within an hour by 6:40 MS is harping about Will's blog? Thanks a lot. Maybe we should just let Mark call the Athletic Department for news, or let him look it up in the Gazette.

Thats my media rant for tonight....back to studying secured transactions.....hmmm...purchase money security interests....don't be jealous!!!!!

Man, I dreamed that I would get those questions on the exam. That, could be the easiest part of the test if you get an essay question on it. You need to vent...just shoot me an IM. Always better to talk to people who took it...rather than get crazed by those taking it.

GOOD LUCK....the end of July is going to come much sooner than you think...and you will be fine!

Man, there's a lot of acrimony flying around for only May. It's going to be a long offseason.

05.10.07:

Gotta love the message boards! I would be a millionaire if I was given a dollar for every time a person in the media contacted me because they saw something on a message board. It is very comical and annoying!

Pretty sure Coach Brown is talking about the Siena board

:D

If not, then at least we're comical or get an assist on something comical.

I'll admit I was fairly naive when I started this message board. For the most part I try not post anything here that I wouldn't say in person to someone although I'm sure I slip sometimes. To be perfectly honest I wouldn't blame Coach Brown if he wasn't crazy about message board since we're generally analyzing his every move and sometime second-guessing then. I know I wouldn't be crazy about if it somebody did it on my job.

No offense to everyone here but I think you're getting hung up on Mark Singelais' fourth paragraph when his third one is the important one. Both Martin and Raffa are coming to Albany. I know we're confused about the scholarship situation but judging from the schools recruiting and offering him Martin looks like a terrific player. That combo paired with Ambrose for four years - on paper that looks like a damn good trio.

Man, there's a lot of acrimony flying around for only May. It's going to be a long offseason.

05.10.07:

Gotta love the message boards! I would be a millionaire if I was given a dollar for every time a person in the media contacted me because they saw something on a message board. It is very comical and annoying!

Pretty sure Coach Brown is talking about the Siena board

:D

If not, then at least we're comical or get an assist on something comical.

I'll admit I was fairly naive when I started this message board. For the most part I try not post anything here that I wouldn't say in person to someone although I'm sure I slip sometimes. To be perfectly honest I wouldn't blame Coach Brown if he wasn't crazy about message board since we're generally analyzing his every move and sometime second-guessing then. I know I wouldn't be crazy about if it somebody did it on my job.

No offense to everyone here but I think you're getting hung up on Mark Singelais' fourth paragraph when his third one is the important one. Both Martin and Raffa are coming to Albany. I know we're confused about the scholarship situation but judging from the schools recruiting and offering him Martin looks like a terrific player. That combo paired with Ambrose for four years - on paper that looks like a damn good trio.

Agreed DP. Will quite possibly just neutralized the damn fine trio over at Boston U. Those three guards, along with our solid future of Connelly, Gifford, and the wing guys....has really set us apart from the league.

Just my opinion, but:

Put yourself in Singelais's shoes - he's the TU beat reporter for UA and can't get info or figure out the scholarship situation with the basketball program. This is something that has had many of us confused for many months and while a definitive answer will come soon once their is a formal announcement for the incoming recruits, it is very confusing.

Who is Singelais supposed to go to for the information? IMO, he was probably trying to figure out what was going on and checked the boards to see if he might uncover something. The only people that would have this info are Coach Brown and McElroy - is it unreasonable that once Singelais or any writer saw a post about Raffa not qualifying coupled with the confusing scholarship question that he would call to try to validate the information? Again, IMO, he or any other writer that calls to clarify something that has been a mystery for so long is just doing there job.

I'm not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with any specific foregoing remark(s), but I simply add that I enjoy and appreciate the work that Singelais does and the blog entries that he makes. During the season, I always look forward to going on to the TU website and checking to see if another entry as been made by Singelais in the afternoon.

As far as Coach's latest entry, I am also very appreciative of his efforts to feed our (the fans') information appetites. I doubt most coaches would make the effort that Coach Brown does (i.e., the website).

Regarding levels of commentary that Coach may or may not be expected to reasonably endure, his salary and benefits have absolutely nothing to do with the level of discussion/criticism/commenting in the community/media that he should be expected to put up with. Indeed, were he making 1/2 as much, would the community hold back half of their remarks and/or criticisms? I doubt it.

As far as recruiting goes, I am unable to say whether local reporters get their information from here first or not. I do add, however, from my own observations regarding the regular season and news during the season, that FAR more often than not during the regular season, the topics and news posted here came from Singelais and not the other way around, and I am grateful for the job that Singelais does.

PS- And I am SO EXCITED for this season (and looking forward to seeing Raffa and the other recruits; the latest video I saw of Raffa was amazing; he is just so darn fast). I might have a little bit more patience for the start of the season if the Yankees were above .500, but nonetheless, I think we have some great basketball ahead of us this winter. I miss UA hoops action even more when I have to suffer through the NBA playoffs. It's simply horrible. Team defense? Help defense? Pass the ball every now and then? Watching the NBA makes me appreciate college basketball even more.

I'm not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with any specific foregoing remark(s), but I simply add that I enjoy and appreciate the work that Singelais does and the blog entries that he makes. During the season, I always look forward to going on to the TU website and checking to see if another entry as been made by Singelais in the afternoon.

As far as Coach's latest entry, I am also very appreciative of his efforts to feed our (the fans') information appetites. I doubt most coaches would make the effort that Coach Brown does (i.e., the website).

Regarding levels of commentary that Coach may or may not be expected to reasonably endure, his salary and benefits have absolutely nothing to do with the level of discussion/criticism/commenting in the community/media that he should be expected to put up with. Indeed, were he making 1/2 as much, would the community hold back half of their remarks and/or criticisms? I doubt it.

As far as recruiting goes, I am unable to say whether local reporters get their information from here first or not. I do add, however, from my own observations regarding the regular season and news during the season, that FAR more often than not during the regular season, the topics and news posted here came from Singelais and not the other way around, and I am grateful for the job that Singelais does.

PS- And I am SO EXCITED for this season (and looking forward to seeing Raffa and the other recruits; the latest video I saw of Raffa was amazing; he is just so darn fast). I might have a little bit more patience for the start of the season if the Yankees were above .500, but nonetheless, I think we have some great basketball ahead of us this winter. I miss UA hoops action even more when I have to suffer through the NBA playoffs. It's simply horrible. Team defense? Help defense? Pass the ball every now and then? Watching the NBA makes me appreciate college basketball even more.

I respectfully disagree. It's not that the community would hold back half their remarks. Its that at a smaller less successful program, like UA was just a few years ago, there would be fewer people and media that care. He built a successfull program and in return grew a fan base and in return larger media coverage and leveraged all of this into a larger contract (which is what he should do). But mid-major (low or high) D1 basketball cooaches have to deal with more scrutiny than a D3 or low D1 coach. Just a fact of life. Half as much, twice as much, I don't know, most likely not directly proportional, but there is a relationship between a coaches pay and the scrutiny he receives. The more I make, the more my boss cares about my job performance. He expects more return as his investment increases. Unfortunately for coaches the fan base is an indirect boss of theirs.

I respectfully disagree. It's not that the community would hold back half their remarks. Its that at a smaller less successful program, like UA was just a few years ago, there would be fewer people and media that care. He built a successfull program and in return grew a fan base and in return larger media coverage and leveraged all of this into a larger contract (which is what he should do). But mid-major (low or high) D1 basketball cooaches have to deal with more scrutiny than a D3 or low D1 coach. Just a fact of life. Half as much, twice as much, I don't know, most likely not directly proportional, but there is a relationship between a coaches pay and the scrutiny he receives. The more I make, the more my boss cares about my job performance. He expects more return as his investment increases. Unfortunately for coaches the fan base is an indirect boss of theirs.

McFan,

Upon further reflection, I've changed my mind and agree with you generally about what coaches should expect to endure at larger and higher profile programs. As far as members of coaching staffs and their salaries, and salaries' relationship to scrutiny and criticism, I think the basic reason leading me to change my mind has to do with basic alumni financial support and funding and how those monies interplay with salaries on campus. Of course, commentary, scrutiny, and criticism has its limits, and no coach or member of his/her staff should have to endure undue more scrutiny, etc. than is reasonably expected of them.

Archived