UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA vs. Bucknell

DP - sorry to nitpick but, the story you linked was the 1974 game; the 2Ts in warm-ups was the 1977 game. Both were happy endings.

I shouldn't post before I've had some coffee. I posted a link to the 1974 game but the 1977 game story is there too. There's also a post on Mark Singelais' blog about the rule. Someone wrote in because the Siena-JMU story had a mention of Hasbrouck dunking in warm-ups with no technical.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The final game with DI Siena - 2/4/77 - they dunked twice in warm ups. Winston Royal made the two technical foul shots before the clock started. In that year the NCAA banned all dunking - pre game and during the game.

I watched the game streamed on line and thought our defense at the end was excellent. The two shots Bucknell made to beat us could have missed just as easily. There was some defensive play throughout the game that was equally as impressive.

Offensively I get concerned with the poor three point percentage. Too often it looked like we were trying to win with last year's offensive schemes, though the team is not last year's team. Iati had a couple of very timely and important 3's, but also heaved up a few that missed badly and were converted on the other end. There needs to be more play designed to take advantage of our advantage underneath. Gifford can be a star if we look for him and get him the ball more often. The 3 point shot is always available but doesn't need to be such an early option so often.

Disappointed by my first look at Turley, but it was brief and mostly inconclusive.

KingDane - you're pretty much on target but lets not forget.....

Brent missed 3 inside 6'

Covingtom missed 2 inside 3' and had one taken away by an offensive charge call

Connelly missed a couple inside

Hastings missed 4 within 8'

Gifford was 2-4 from point blank

Here's my opinion for what it's worth?????????????

I think if some of these were converted offensively the offense would have appeared better and the rest of the offense would have flowed better.

I don't think we are going to play a big lineup and look pretty but we sure have to be more efficient.

What's bad is we missed shots on the interior and didn't get to the foul line. If the bigs get it inside they on most occasions should score or get to the line.

In looking at the stats on the UA website we took 38 shots inside the arc and went to the foul line 9 times. They took 29 shots inside the arc and went to the line 22 times (not counting 2 shot "T" to start the game). Our bigs just weren't efficient. We lost by 3 actually 1 when you consider they started with a 2-0 lead.

There seemed to be alot of INDECISION and HESITATION. Our players were being too cautious.

Just as Lillis said, they were playing NOT TO LOSE, than playing TO WIN.

I think with a game in their pocket, things will start improving dramatically. The coach has seen how the team played together in real action, and now he knows what needs to be addressed.

I've always preferred the AGGRESSIVE, not the PASSIVE, in basketball. Get the basketball, not wait until someone gets it to you. ATTACK their defense. ATTACK their offense. Be one step ahead of the opponent.

We need to penetrate the middle... going to the hoop and dishing it outside. With all of the perimeter passing, their defense starts pressuring the perimeter.

My gut feeling is that Josh is going to step up BIG time, soon. We need his speed, ball handling, penetration, and shooting ability at the point.

I really hope that they start utilizing THE GIFF this year. How many touches did he have on Saturday? Just a few, right?

The only time he went to the FT line, he made both shots, and quality shots. He can hit FT's. He's 6'11" , we've got to utilize that fact. Get him the ball, hopefully he'll start scoring and being fouled, and it will open up the perimeter. Also, bringing him out the the FT line, getting him the ball, and him finding the open man. Bringing him all the way out on the 3point arc to receive a pass, and then head back inside, isn't doing much good, other than opening up the paint for a few seconds.

Bringing him all the way out on the 3point arc to receive a pass, and then head back inside, isn't doing much good, other than opening up the paint for a few seconds. - uofalbany

The object is to basically what you stated

open the paint area

allows us to reverse the ball through him

also allows him to set big screens

allows him to go back and restablish position inside

when he shows that he can consistently create offense by finishing. he'll probably get the ball some more

In fact on Wyland's show today Coach said we have to go inside more but remember if Gifford is filling the post area it's hard to get Brent and Connelly posting, that's why most teams have high low sets.

Gifford is far from polished around the hoop right now he's scoring on lay ups caused by penetration by others and he's not scoring over people.

Right now our bigs (all of them) must become more efficient.

Just one person's opinion

Talk about home cooking....we had 9 FT attempts and Bucknell had 24. Not bad if you are Bucknell.

I'd have to watch it again however, there was no "home cookin" more than the norm; We simply didnt attack the basket as much (I was hoping to see more of this from Jerel) other than Lillis.

There were some cheap fouls (one Brown went ballistic...while I did the same with beer in hand in my livingroom) but other than that...it wasn't off par.

Talk about home cooking....we had 9 FT attempts and Bucknell had 24. Not bad if you are Bucknell.

I'd have to watch it again however, there was no "home cookin" more than the norm; We simply didnt attack the basket as much (I was hoping to see more of this from Jerel) other than Lillis.

There were some cheap fouls (one Brown went ballistic...while I did the same with beer in hand in my livingroom) but other than that...it wasn't off par.

Fair enough...I was simply looking at the numbers and when there is that big a difference it makes me double take. Not trying to blame the refs...I just was like...."WOW".

I was not at the game, and I also was not able to listen or watch much of the game. That being said, however, I've read the foregoing posts and offer the following perspective. Last year, our game against Bucknell was somewhat like this game. Low-scoring and not very pretty on offense, with the offense often looking hesitant and lost. To go on the road against Bucknell (as opposed to playing them at home last year) and lose by 3 (or really only 1 point) without our starting backcourt from last year, and with arguably our best offensive player getting 2 points, AND with being outshot from the free-throw line like we did, is rather amazing. Moreover, this was the first college game for several of our players!

Our offense, in my view, got better and better and more cohesive with each game last year. Indeed, I thought the progression was very obvious even from a casual fan's perspective like my own. I suspect we see much of the same type of progression this year. This team will look very different and play very different by January. :)

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2008/200...tball_rules.pdf

So In the rule book above I see nothing about Dunking during warm ups as a cause for a Technical foul... can someone find it in there and quote it?

Similar language as the 2004 version quoted a couple pages page. In 2008 it is in Rule 10 (Fouls and Penalties), Section 3 (Player/Substitute Technical Fouls), Art. 2.

"Art. 2. (Women) A team member dunking or attempting to dunk a dead ball

during the game. (Men) A team member dunking or attempting to dunk a

dead ball before or during the game, or during any intermission."

Archived