UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

danefan

What are the popular bars for students these days? When I attended, it was Peabody's (big frosh bar- could get in with a library card), the Long Branch (the Sophomore bar...always fun), the Lamp Post (big greek bar and could have been located off exit 32 of the LIE there were so many Lawng Islanders in that place)...Michael's, Bogey's, Partridge Pub and of course WT's. What was the name of that place across from Dan's Diner? Didnt go often but I did get kicked out once!

We hung out at the Branch in my first few years in Albany. Then slowly progressed up Washington Ave to Chubby's (across from Dan's and owned and operated by a former football player). The Post (which is no longer the Post) was good for when you underage friends visited that didn't have ID's. Not my underage friends, of course, we wouldn't dare think about frequenting a drinking establishment underage.

WT's (newly renovated) was always good for happy hour once of-age, but in the last few years (during my law school days) it started to get a different and not-so-pleasant crowd. I think that's why the renovation was done to try and give a different appearance. Which was kind of sad because I lived around the corner during my law school days.

The law school folk stay solidly to their Lark Street roots with Lark Tavern and Lionheart.

The Patridge Pub is no longer. It's now just the Pub and its owned by the guys who own Juniors.

The guy who used to own the Branch when we were there now owns Skyline (old Big House) downtown. Most of the guys that work there are former and/or current football players, which always makes for a good time out.

Ahhh. Chubby's, the old Town Tavern I think. Free beer Wednesday's for a half an hour.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhh. Chubby's, the old Town Tavern I think. Free beer Wednesday's for a half an hour.

Yes, the Town Tavern!!! Got my ass handed to me in there by the rugby team that basially "owned" the joint. They were not happy that A) I was a freshman; B) I was not a rugby player; C) I didnt kiss their hands; D) i was talking to "their" ladies. So basically, they beat the bag out of me because I was a freshaman non-rugby player who didnt kiss their hands because I was too busy talking to their ladies!

I got sweet revenge a few years later :angry2:

Great topic. I graduated in 96 and we went to Peobodys, Branch, Michaels, Bogies, WTs, Town Tavern and all those. We used to hit Dirty Dan's place late night for an Emmy Bull. Ahhhhh, the memories. We used to hang out at Sutters all the time cause 4 of my friends worked there and used to hook us up with wings, burgers, beers and stuff. Great time there!!

They used to have the best burgers at Sutters. I went back there this summer when I was up there for Giants camp and the burger was good but not great. I really liked the wings and fries though.

I feel like sutters went down hill in the last few years. Not sure why though. Change in chef?

I loved living in Albany. The longer I'm in NYC and jersey, the more I realize that. So many great things to do, great restaurants, etc... and still a low cost of living

Don't let my wife hear me say that though. She wasn't very happy leaving Albany.

I feel like sutters went down hill in the last few years. Not sure why though. Change in chef?

I loved living in Albany. The longer I'm in NYC and jersey, the more I realize that. So many great things to do, great restaurants, etc... and still a low cost of living

Don't let my wife hear me say that though. She wasn't very happy leaving Albany.

My wife and I have talked about it several times. She is from Long Island and I am originally from Weschester County. We recently moved to CT due to the cost of living being lower but thought about and looked at houses online in the Albany area. We just couldn't go so far away from our families because they really help us out a lot with our son. I work from home so can live anywhere.

Should also add that we both went to UA and met at the beginning of sophmore year during Happy Hour at Peabody's!! We have been together ever since. That was 1993.

Well this brins back some great Memories, The Tavern (now Chubby's) been there done that.

Now when we come to town we stay at the new Hampton Inn because it is closer to the "Big Boy" bars. Many of them are football alums, Skyline and The Pearl are football hot spots.

I miss those days....

FH!

IaLWtL!

B)-->

QUOTE(Zalman B @ Nov 21 2007, 12:37 PM) 27958[/snapback]
Not really "wings" in the traditional sense (more like chicken fingers), but Wings over Albany's boneless wings can be pretty tasty.

Very tasty!! I love all their different sauces ...

Hey is Sovranno's (sp?) still around? If so, someone fedex me a slice with cold mozz on top please! :lol:

Some of the best pizza in Albany! I also used to enjoy Lou Bea's pizza when that was on Western (now they are only on Delaware Ave., I guess).

I used to think the wings at Mild Wally's were the best but haven't been there in a few years. Is it still open?

Mild Wally's is still open. I haven't ordered from them in a while though.

On a somewhat related note to this topic, Pauy's Hotel just lost their liquor license for - suprise - serving underage patrons.

PAULY’S HOTEL LOSES LIQUOR LICENSE

Liquor Authority Orders Emergency Summary Suspension

ALBANY – (November 14, 2007) The New York State Liquor Authority (SLA)

summarily suspended the license of JHM, Inc. at 337 Central Avenue in Albany, doing business

as Pauly’s Hotel. The suspension was ordered by the Members of the State Liquor Authority,

Chairman Daniel B. Boyle and Commissioner Noreen Healey at the full board meeting on

Wednesday, November 14, 2007.

On November 10, 2007, SLA Investigators, the Albany Police Department, the

Department of Motor Vehicles, the Albany County District Attorney’s Office, and the Albany

Department of Public Safety conducted a surprise inspection of the Pauly’s Hotel, targeting

underage drinking. The investigation discovered that of the approximately 35 patrons at the bar

that night, 29 were under the age of twenty-one. Fifteen minors were observed purchasing

alcoholic beverages and another three admitted that they had obtained alcohol at the

establishment. In addition to serving minors, the bar was also cited by the SLA for hiring

unregistered security guards, failure to provide adequate supervision, offering unlimited drink

specials, failure to maintain adequate books and records, and failure to comply with the New

York State Clean Indoor Air Act. Determining the bar posed an imminent threat to the public,

the Members of the Authority voted to impose an emergency summary suspension of the license.

Effective immediately, no alcohol can be served or consumed on the premises.

“Bars that continue to ignore the law and repeatedly sell to minors will not be tolerated,”

State Liquor Authority Chairman Boyle said. “This operation illustrates how cooperation

between local law enforcement and state agencies can help ensure the health and safety of the

public.”

“This is another example of agencies working together to curb the underage drinking

problem,” said Albany Police Chief James Tuffey. “I applaud the SLA for taking immediate

action when this type of behavior is discovered in a licensed establishment.”

“The consumption of alcohol continues to play a role in many of the most avoidable and

tragic cases presented to my office and I applaud the State Liquor Authority for their aggressive

stance on establishments who continue to blatantly violate the law,” said Albany County Office

of the District Attorney David Soares. “We began working with the SLA in July of this year and

I am committed to continuing that partnership to ensure that all drinking establishments in

Albany County follow the laws intended to keep our citizens safe.”

Previously, the Members of the State Liquor Authority imposed a $3,500 penalty on

Pauly’s for a sale to a minor in February 2005 and a $6,000 penalty for sale to minor and

disorderly premises in February of 2006. In July of 2007, the bar was fined a $3,500 civil

penalty from the Members for offering unlimited drink specials.

The State Administrative Procedure Act authorizes a State agency to summarily suspend

a license when the agency finds that public health, safety, or welfare imperatively requires

emergency action. When the SLA summarily suspends a liquor license, it also serves upon the

licensee a Notice of Pleading alleging one or more disciplinary violations. In invoking a

summary suspension, the SLA has deemed the violation(s), considering each licensee’s

disciplinary history, to be sufficiently serious upon initial review to warrant an immediate

suspension. The SLA’s decision to summarily suspend a license is not a final determination on

the merits of the case. The licensee is entitled to an expedited hearing before an administrative

law judge to address the alleged violation(s) that led to the suspension. An order of summary

suspension remains in effect until such time as it is modified by the State Liquor Authority or a

reviewing Court.

The State Liquor Authority regulates and controls the manufacture, sale and distribution

of alcoholic beverages within the State. The Authority works with local law enforcement

agencies and localities across the State to ensure compliance with the Alcoholic Beverage

Control Law. In addition, the Authority issues and renews licenses and permits to

manufacturers, distributors, wholesalers and retailers of alcoholic beverages.

http://abc.state.ny.us/announcements/mediaadvisory111507.pdf

Archived