UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

danefan

for wings, burgers...........WT'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damn I miss that place...so many good times <sheds a tear>

I worked there (and lived above it for two years...and next to it for another two-- Mike Byron owned them as well). The wings are great...Burgers...eh.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Best Wings in the Capital Region hands down:

Tequila Chipotle wings ordered extra crispy from the Ale House on River Street in Troylet.

Danefan, I hit the archive this evening and found your post singing the praises of Dan's Diner.

I don't think I ever did get a burger there, but I will do so soon.

I spoke with my best friend John tonight (he grew up in Albany)...and we were arguing where we were having wings and burgers this week when we come back for TDAY.

We confirmed that the best wings are the FOUNTAIN, WT's and SADIE'S (we both havent been in two years...not sure anymore). Sutter's used to have a great burger...sucks now.

We both agreed that the best two burgers were DAN's and Cottage. Totally different experiences, however.

For the record-- We are both FOOD crazy and drove (after the Siena game last year) from NY, through Massachusetts, through New Hampshire, and up to Maine for FLO's HOTDOGS. Then we drove back home to MA. We actually drive up to Maine JUST for Chowder...and have driven from Albany to Lake Placid for Hot Dogs on the side of Keene Mountain ("YOUR WURST IS OUR BEST")

In the annals of Hot Dogs...the "DIRTY DOG" (gotta get the real name for you guys) in Glens Falls is AWESOME!!! Ordering 2 on 1, 3 on 1, 3 on 2, etc...with the dirty sauce was a weekly pilgrimage for us. Gus's, is a close second for their mini-dogs.

I know this is a thread about burgers and such....but I got something else I needed to ask. Since this board is full of people who are "cultured" (hope I'm not overstating that) ;) I've got this question.......I'm taking my wife to the Radio City Music Hall for the Christmas Spectacular show. Does anyone know what kind of attire is appropriate? I've never been, and didn't want to show up in jean when everyone else is sporting shirts and ties etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It's been a long time, but I can't imagine it's THAT formal, especially if it's a matinee where half the audience is kids. It's a Xmas show, a red sweater with snowflakes will always fit in. If you're going out to dinner after (or before an evening show) that might be different.

The Emmy Bull burger at Dan's is ridiculous. But one warning....I have never actually had one or been in Dan's sober. Take that for its worth.

Has anybody?

Actually took my dad there for breakfast one morning however. Food was good, atmosphere????

The Emmy Bull burger at Dan's is ridiculous. But one warning....I have never actually had one or been in Dan's sober. Take that for its worth.

Has anybody?

Actually took my dad there for breakfast one morning however. Food was good, atmosphere????

I was in Dan's sober...ONCE (I was on massive amounts of antibiotics): Don't know if I could go sober again....or at least without A BEER.

Bosiydid....DEFINITELY DO NOT SHOW UP IN JEANS TO RADIO CITY!

It is just my opinion, but if you are trekking down with your wife for the show, throw on at least a pair of chinos. There will be some MUTTS in jeans...but that will be the minority. While it is not the opera (TUX or nice suit) and certainly not Broadway (suit...good going out clothes)...I would say MOST wear at least going out to a nice dinner clothes.

Button down and slacks are fine.

Has anybody?

I was in Dan's sober...ONCE (I was on massive amounts of antibiotics): Don't know if I could go sober again....or at least without A BEER.

Bosiydid....DEFINITELY DO NOT SHOW UP IN JEANS TO RADIO CITY!

It is just my opinion, but if you are trekking down with your wife for the show, throw on at least a pair of chinos. There will be some MUTTS in jeans...but that will be the minority. While it is not the opera (TUX or nice suit) and certainly not Broadway (suit...good going out clothes)...I would say MOST where at least going out to a nice dinner clothes.

Button down and slacks are fine.

Exactly the advice I was looking for....much obliged.

What are the popular bars for students these days? When I attended, it was Peabody's (big frosh bar- could get in with a library card), the Long Branch (the Sophomore bar...always fun), the Lamp Post (big greek bar and could have been located off exit 32 of the LIE there were so many Lawng Islanders in that place)...Michael's, Bogey's, Partridge Pub and of course WT's. What was the name of that place across from Dan's Diner? Didnt go often but I did get kicked out once!

Has that show been affected by the stage hands strike?

Good question.....I'm gonna have to do some digging around. I wouldn't think so, I thought it was the writers that went on strike. Hence "The Big Bang Theory", only one of the funniest shows on TV went into reruns last night. I was :angry:

What are the popular bars for students these days? When I attended, it was Peabody's (big frosh bar- could get in with a library card), the Long Branch (the Sophomore bar...always fun), the Lamp Post (big greek bar and could have been located off exit 32 of the LIE there were so many Lawng Islanders in that place)...Michael's, Bogey's, Partridge Pub and of course WT's. What was the name of that place across from Dan's Diner? Didnt go often but I did get kicked out once!

We hung out at the Branch in my first few years in Albany. Then slowly progressed up Washington Ave to Chubby's (across from Dan's and owned and operated by a former football player). The Post (which is no longer the Post) was good for when you underage friends visited that didn't have ID's. Not my underage friends, of course, we wouldn't dare think about frequenting a drinking establishment underage.

WT's (newly renovated) was always good for happy hour once of-age, but in the last few years (during my law school days) it started to get a different and not-so-pleasant crowd. I think that's why the renovation was done to try and give a different appearance. Which was kind of sad because I lived around the corner during my law school days.

The law school folk stay solidly to their Lark Street roots with Lark Tavern and Lionheart.

The Patridge Pub is no longer. It's now just the Pub and its owned by the guys who own Juniors.

The guy who used to own the Branch when we were there now owns Skyline (old Big House) downtown. Most of the guys that work there are former and/or current football players, which always makes for a good time out.

This thread was actually a pretty good idea -- one thread on this Forum where we can talk about any random thing we want! :)

Don't have much to say on burgers, but I've always loved the wings from Bomber's -- perhaps because of their great blue cheese. For me, the blue cheese makes the wing. Best blue cheese in the Albany area?? Thoughts?

Archived